Is Kyler's contract even tradeable?

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know there's been a lot of chatter about if the Cards should take Caleb Williams if they get the #1 pick next year. My question is, with his hefty contract, would the Cards actually have any trade partners? Feels like if other teams know they would be selecting Caleb Williams and with K1's huge contract, there might not be a great trade package for him?

Also, if they get #1 and #2 in the draft, do you let Hollywood Brown walk and just take Marvin Harrison Jr? It wasn't a great trade by Keim considering we got him with only two years on his deal. Doesn't seem like this regime is going to break the bank for a WR that is not exactly a WR1.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Unless we’re gonna keep running the ball down by 10+, Hollywood is gonna get 150 targets, 115 catches and 1200+ yards next year (2 TDs).

Kyler’s contract isn’t tradeable until after 2024, probably. If you draft a top QB, you’d be wasting the first year of his rookie deal accounting for dumping Kyler.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
48 more weeks of debate between trading Kyler or trading the #1 pick to build around him. Nobody will have the answer until the time comes and we have more information.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Unless we’re gonna keep running the ball down by 10+, Hollywood is gonna get 150 targets, 115 catches and 1200+ yards next year (2 TDs).

Kyler’s contract isn’t tradeable until after 2024, probably. If you draft a top QB, you’d be wasting the first year of his rookie deal accounting for dumping Kyler.
Hollywood might get 150 targets but he isn't getting 115 catches - not with our QBs and O-line

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
I honestly don't think Monti and Michael think Kyler will be the QB much longer despite what they will say publicly this season. The QB draft options in 24 are likely too good to ignore if they have a high draft pick.(they will, and perhaps two top 5 picks)

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we keep Kyler I'm sure we will extend Hollywood. I would doubt the opposite is true.

Arizona is already not afraid to take dead money cap hits and 1 more year to flush out the old regime oughta do it.

Been some conflicting information in regards to his contract, the latest being a $46 mil cap hit next year and $6 in cap savings if we trade him next offseason. Doesn’t seem absolutely terrible, compared to $81 million floated before. Of course that's not counting the savings of having a QB on a rookie contract.

If we have the 1/2 we definitely gotta get a QB/MHJ, or if somehow we know like the #3 needs/wants the 2nd QB we can trade down a spot if we want that gamble. But MHJ would be monumental in whatever QB we ultimately decide to roll with.

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
They couldn’t make a roster out of the remaining cap if they traded Murray. Then they would get sanctioned.
@Chopper posted the numbers for a cap hit on here that blew my mind. I was amazed at the low figures. I have no knowledge but just going by what he posted.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They couldn’t make a roster out of the remaining cap if they traded Murray. Then they would get sanctioned.
Sanctioned for what? I feel like they could probably muster a a roster. It would be bad but it could be done?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sanctioned for what? I feel like they could probably muster a a roster. It would be bad but it could be done?
I think it would be really close.

EDIT: actually you’d be fine if you TRADED Murray; according to OTC the Cards could trade Murray without significant pain, even this year. If you do it before June 1, it’s a little more painful, and his $46 million + dead cap hold would hurt you from building around a rookie.

The Cards currently have $51 million in cap space for 2024.

Curting him would be catastrophic tho.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good god. How many times do we have to cover the fact that we can’t do anything with Kyler until at the earliest 2025?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think it would be really close.

EDIT: actually you’d be fine if you TRADED Murray; according to OTC the Cards could trade Murray without significant pain, even this year. If you do it before June 1, it’s a little more painful, and his $46 million + dead cap hold would hurt you from building around a rookie.

The Cards currently have $51 million in cap space for 2024.

Curting him would be catastrophic tho.
This. Trading Kyler next year actually frees up 5.6 mil on the cap. His dead money would be 46 mil but he is scheduled to hit for 51 so you do free some up space.

You can't cut him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I can't help cry laughing remembering all the smug "You don't understand, we have to give Kyler this contract" nonsense. Hindsight is 20/20 but foresight is much better.
I don't believe anyone, and I mean anyone, thought the Cardinals would be in a position to have the #1 overall pick with Kyler on the roster.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trading Kyler next year actually frees up 5.6 mil on the cap. His dead money would be 46 mil but he is scheduled to hit for 51 so you do free some up space.
Imagine Murray playing badly enough for whatever portion of 2023 he plays, for the Cardinals to get one of the top two draft picks and be willing to eat the sunk costs and cap hit and jettison him to gamble on a rookie... Yet somehow Monti Ossenfort is able to find a team that thinks highly enough of him with his injury history and ~1.5 years of bad to mediocre play, to give up draft compensation for him AND pay his ~$40M / year remaining cost for the next four years.

I just don't see any realistic scenario where that could happen.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Imagine Murray playing badly enough for whatever portion of 2023 he plays, for the Cardinals to get one of the top two draft picks and be willing to eat the sunk costs and cap hit and jettison him to gamble on a rookie... Yet somehow Monti Ossenfort is able to find a team that thinks highly enough of him with his injury history and ~1.5 years of bad to mediocre play, to give up draft compensation for him AND pay his ~$40M / year remaining cost for the next four years.

I just don't see any realistic scenario where that could happen.
It isn't about Kyler playing badly. It is about Kyler not playing great. If the Cardinals wind up with the 4th and 10th picks in the draft, and Kyler plays ok, I think they stick with him. What I don't believe is that Kyler will play well enough to cause Monti and Bidwill to pass on a QB if they end up picking #1. It is similar to Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning. The Colts took Luck because they had the #1 pick and Luck was such a highly rated prospect. It was less about Manning not being good anymore or coming back from an injury.

And, just so you have your info right, Kyler would only cost the team trading for him over 40 mil two of the five seasons left on his contract. He actually becomes a bargain for the team trading for him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It isn't about Kyler playing badly. It is about Kyler not playing great. If the Cardinals wind up with the 4th and 10th picks in the draft, and Kyler plays ok, I think they stick with him. What I don't believe is that Kyler will play well enough to cause Monti and Bidwill to pass on a QB if they end up picking #1. It is similar to Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning. The Colts took Luck because they had the #1 pick and Luck was such a highly rated prospect. It was less about Manning not being good anymore or coming back from an injury.

And, just so you have your info right, Kyler would only cost the team trading for him over 40 mil two of the five seasons left on his contract. He actually becomes a bargain for the team trading for him.
Kyler's contract is a little more complicated than that. His salary for the following year gets guaranteed on a rolling basis. So his $18 million 2025 salary is guaranteed on March 22, 2024. If he's on a roster on March 22, 2025, $36.8 million of his 2026 salary is guaranteed.

He almost becomes easy to trade but impossible to cut. I guess he's easy to restructure, also.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Kyler can be cut next offseason with a post June 1 designation and life would go on

it actually increases cap space in 2024 by $3.6mm to ~$55mm overall. (letting to Ertz and Conner would free up another $15mm for $70mm overall.) I think you could field a competitive roster with that.

In 2025, it looks like the dead cap hit pushed into that year from making him a post June 1 designation washes with his cap hit, so it doesnt reduce 2025 cap space.

the move isnt ideal (obvs) -- but presumably the move is made because you go with a rookie QB, who would have 5 years of reasonable price - -- you use up two of those years working off Kylers dead cap hits, but then you have 3 seasons of benefit.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kyler's contract is a little more complicated than that. His salary for the following year gets guaranteed on a rolling basis. So his $18 million 2025 salary is guaranteed on March 22, 2024. If he's on a roster on March 22, 2025, $36.8 million of his 2026 salary is guaranteed.

He almost becomes easy to trade but impossible to cut. I guess he's easy to restructure, also.
I don't believe the Cardinals would cut Kyler.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose