Is it time to cut our losses with Matt Williams?

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
How many of you are sick of hearing every year how Matt is in the best shape of his life, he's going to play with a chip on his shoulder, he's got something to prove. All he has proven to me is that he is capable of cashing rather large paychecks for contributing virtually nothing.

I for one am sick of his costing someone much more worthy of a spot on this roster a job. You'd think he'd have enough pride to suck it up and retire. We're not going to get an f'in thing out of him so why not just cut him and then see how loyal he is to his family or whether he goes somewhere else to play for the minimum.

I can't even look at him when he's playing.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Just because we have to pay him, doesn't mean we have to play him, and thus hurt the team twice. Swindell is in the same boat, as far as I'm concerned.

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Same debate with Jay Bell last year. In fact, Bell was supposed to move over 1st last year as well.
The D-Backs feel that they owe Williams (and Bell) a roster spot for all they have done for the franchise. Those accomplishments were more symbolic than substantive (99' season aside), as it would hard to imagine Randy Johnson signing with Arizona had there been no Williams or Bell. That you must give those players credit for. They laid the groundwork for Randy Johnson’s putting this organization on the map. One cannot deny this and for all my criticisms of both men, I feel they deserve more credit for this.
At the same time, this is a team that has shrinking window for World Series championships. Once Randy and Curt are gone the formula will be broken and there's no telling when the D-backs will find that (championship caliber) winning combination again.
Williams won't step aside. It just won't happen. You can throw out all the McGwire analogies and such, but he's just no going to. Because of this if I were the organization I would offer Matt Williams a job in organization or grant him his release. With Baerga in the fold, along with Counsell and Donnels there's just no room for him on this roster. Nobody can argue that Williams has performed better than Donnels this spring, nor can they say that Williams has as much versatility as Baerga. You're going to pay him $10 mill this season regardless of his being on the roster or not. And I believe the D-Backs are better off with the latter of those scenarios.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Originally posted by RLakin
I would offer Matt Williams a job in organization or grant him his release. With Baerga in the fold, along with Counsell and Donnels there's just no room for him on this roster. Nobody can argue that Williams has performed better than Donnels this spring, nor can they say that Williams has as much versatility as Baerga. You're going to pay him $10 mill this season regardless of his being on the roster or not. And I believe the D-Backs are better off with the latter of those scenarios.
That's a good point of view! It would be a shame if one of them if sent back to the Minors because of Matty.

But unfortunately, I believe that someone who can contribute more than Williams has the past few years will be cut, and Matty will platoon with either our 1B or 3B.

Or the tongue-in-cheek response would be that it's just a matter of time until he breaks a bone fielding a routine ground ball as he did last year.

As much as I'd resent seeing Matt Williams get playing time at the expense of Craig Counsell or Carlos Baerga . . . or our First Basemen . . . I realize it's probably going to happen for one last year.

Regarding Swindell, I appreciate his loyalty and personality, but it would be a crime if he takes the place of another lefty. Boy, did he get bombed his last time out.

Between his new knuckleball, and Williams "new" batting stance every year, I just don't believe, "No, no, I really mean it. I'm gonna be good this year. Really!"

FORKTUNG

Registered
Reaction score
Swindells knuckleball is a JOKE.

To me it's the handwriting on the wall that he's OVER.

The line on Williams playing 1st against lefties begs the question then, why isn't he over at 3rd? Maybe Mattty will pull a muscle and do a Jay Bell for 2003, heh.

Derek in Tucson

Veteran
Reaction score
Somebody get a rope! We need to lynch that no good Matt Williams! Better yet, let's get some tar and feathers! Anybody got a rail we can ride him out of town on?

Seriously though, do you even realize how classless you sound when you say that you hope he gets injured? If he snapped his leg again on the field, would you stand up and cheer?

FORKTUNG

Registered
Reaction score
Old DBacks don't Die - They just fade off on the DL

That wasn't the point and you know it. The DBacks are great at cooking the injuries to get guys on the DL. Or is your memory so short on Jay Bell, Chris Donnells or better yet MoMan.

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
Re: Old DBacks don't Die - They just fade off on the DL

Originally posted by FORKTUNG
That wasn't the point and you know it. The DBacks are great at cooking the injuries to get guys on the DL. Or is your memory so short on Jay Bell, Chris Donnells or better yet MoMan.
Xactly... never know when a nasty hangnail will shoot you on the DL list for 2-3 months!