Is it Ayton or is it Booker?

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
Look, I think there is an organizational identity crisis of who the Sun's star should be. I think the entire
Suns's perimeter offense is horrid. I don't think that Booker is any team's *1. On a championship caliber team he's a *3. On a playoff contender who may or may not be eliminated.. I'll give him a #2.

I would like to see the offense run thru Ayton. I know he's injured, but this team is not making the
postseason. If and when he comes back, I'd love to see the ball in Ayton's hands.

Booker as your STAR player, alone, will not get the Suns to post season, ever.
Build the team around Ayton. JMO.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
There’s a healthy balance in which you can run the offense thru both. Kobe and Shaq were able to put up big time offensive numbers as 1a and 1b. The problem with this team is that Ayton’s usage rate goes down considerably from the first quarter to the fourth, so there’s no real balance, and Ayton’s not having the same positioning problems he had his rookie season.

This is Monty’s homework assignment for the offseason. Both are all-NBA caliber players, so he shouldn’t have to choose one over the others.

OP
OP
Sunstroke

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
There’s a healthy balance in which you can run the offense thru both. Kobe and Shaq were able to put up big time offensive numbers as 1a and 1b. The problem with this team is that Ayton’s usage rate goes down considerably from the first quarter to the fourth, so there’s no real balance, and Ayton’s not having the same positioning problems he had his rookie season.

This is Monty’s homework assignment for the offseason. Both are all-NBA caliber players, so he shouldn’t have to choose one over the others.
Great thought TJ and this topic wasn't meant to be an indictment Of D-Book's abilities as he's brought some big-time highlights since he's been a Sun.
Teams are doubling on D-book instead of Deandre . Ayton should be a topic of this league sooner than later.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nobody can give this team to Ayton, not Booker, not Monty, not James Jones, and not Sarver. Ayton has to want it and take it. I don't think Booker will put up a fight. I mean, Booker is a really good player but I think he knows that he can't carry this team all on his own. Ayton stepping up and playing like he does in most 1st quarters all throughout a game would take this team to new heights.

Ayton is way too tentative though. Right now he plays with the top assisting backcourt in the entire NBA but he quits calling for the ball after the 1st half. That doesn't fall on Booker or Monty, it's on Ayton. People will give him the ball but he has to get in position for it and if he's not getting it, tell them to feed him, grab offensive boards and put it back, do whatever he can to get going. It can be done but it's almost entirely on him.

When he starts playing like he talks and Booker looks him off or he's not getting the ball even when he's in position and calling for it, that's when I'll criticize Book for it. I won't bash Devin because Ayton won't step up now.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Booker has the mindset to be a superstar but not the physical talent. Ayton has the talent but not the mindset. If you could give him half of Zion’s offensive tenacity it’d be a wrap.

To reach the highest of highs you need two MVP-esque guys plus top notch role players.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker has the mindset to be a superstar but not the physical talent. Ayton has the talent but not the mindset. If you could give him half of Zion’s offensive tenacity it’d be a wrap.

To reach the highest of highs you need two MVP-esque guys plus top notch role players.

I think Ayton is turning into a damn good player, but you are correct that if he played with the mindset that Zion plays with... good lord. He'd probably average 30 points and 18 boards a night, it would be nuts.

Gotta say though, as frustrating as Ayton's occasional offensive passivity can be, he did average 21.5 and 12.5 last month, while playing great defense and with the Suns dramatically out scoring teams while he was on the court.

We just need more depth... and less injuries.

I think a leader will emerge once the team gains confidence and simply wins more.

A lot of guys viewed as great leaders now certainly took a while to evolve into the role.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
We just need more depth... and less injuries.

I think a leader will emerge once the team gains confidence and simply wins more.

A lot of guys viewed as great leaders now certainly took a while to evolve into the role.

More depth, absolutely. Which will probably, among other things, cause less injuries.

Wait for a leader to emerge? We've been waiting for ten years for the Suns to become
a winning team. It is time to build a winner.

As far as gaining confidence and winning more, that will happen only when we have a
well staffed team. Not the other way around. As we've seen.

There is no more 'time to buy'. Only pro-active leadership will change the status quo.

It hasn't been posted in a while. Ignorance is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results.

I believe in evolution. But not when building a sports winner. There I believe in creationism. :)

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More depth, absolutely. Which will probably, among other things, cause less injuries.

Wait for a leader to emerge? We've been waiting for ten years for the Suns to become
a winning team. It is time to build a winner.

As far as gaining confidence and winning more, that will happen only when we have a
well staffed team. Not the other way around. As we've seen.

There is no more 'time to buy'. Only pro-active leadership will change the status quo.

It hasn't been posted in a while. Ignorance is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results.

I believe in evolution. But not when building a sports winner. There I believe in creationism. :)

Rome wasn't built in a day. The team is much improved from last year. I think there was some poor resource management last year summer, during the draft in particular, but I still think that overall we're moving in the right direction. James Jones isn't going anywhere so we need to hope that he is taking lessons from the past.

We have the resources to add 2-3 quality players this summer, if we land them then yes, more depth will almost certainly help the injury situation at the same time.

But as far as leadership goes, we're still the youngest team in the league, our best players are still in their early 20s and in Booker's case, this is the first year of his career where the team isn't tanking down the stretch. Changing the culture takes time and I think Monty is doing a pretty good job of it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

been saying this for months.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave