Is Daron Sutton finally gone?

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
If they're using the suit/polo thing as the reason, it's either just to publicly deflect from the real reason for the suspension or they want to get rid of him and had to find any tiny rule (even one they don't normally enforce) to force him out.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Uh...okay. So Sutton is suspended for wearing a suit and tie instead of the team-preferred Dbacks' polo shirt for their announcer team.
You're skirting the issue to suit one point of view.

It wasn't that he fought management. It was how he did it. By going public with it. What could he expect other than suspension and possible termination?

Apparently the differing opinions over what constitutes a professional appearance has been a point of contention between the two sides for most of Sutton's six years in the Arizona booth, and the powers that be finally decided to put their foot down after Sutton made what Piecoro termed as a "veiled reference" to the dress code during the June 20 broadcast.

If you ran an operation where a highly visible employee refused to "get with the program" and chose to sabotage you in public about it, how would you react?

It was reported today that the Fox network has also pulled Sutton from doing their weekend telecasts until his situation with the D'backs is resolved.

I have said in the past that Daron Sutton's ego has gone overboard, making himself more important than what was going on down on the field. Sooner or later, it had to catch up with him.

His "veiled reference" to the dress code on the air was a cheap shot -- unprofessional and unethical. And now he is paying for it.

It is not so much about the suit and tie. It is about his attitude to his employer.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff Munn sounds like a reporter from the 1950s. Too dry and too boring.

I actually like Mark Grace and want my announcers to add some color to the game.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree - I can handle this broadcast team. Grace still talks about ballpeen hammers, but it is over in 30 seconds instead of a 10-minute comedy bit. Just enough color and knowledge (and humor when warranted), imo.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So is Sutton still doing the Fox broadcast today? I haven't heard anything that says he's not.

Awkward! :)

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm 99% sure he's not. Read somewhere he was removed from it.
You're right. Here is what I mentioned in Post #27 here yesterday.

It was reported today that the Fox network has also pulled Sutton from doing their weekend telecasts until his situation with the D'backs is resolved.

DiamondBacks5117

Registered
Reaction score
didnt know people hated D suttons broadcasting so much. I sorta feel for the guy. He was the voice of the d backs for a long time. I always sorta wondered why he left the brewers though. I wonder if Gracie and Sutt will still be friends i am guessin so. read it was because he didnt like what the team made him wear for the broadcast with other incident's as well.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZ Rep says he's done until after the all star break, perhaps longer. Makes one wonder if the full story will come out, as "wanting to wear a suit" doesn't sound like a legitimate reason to suspend a guy for weeks.

That said, Sutton isn't very good. At all.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
AZ Rep says he's done until after the all star break, perhaps longer. Makes one wonder if the full story will come out, as "wanting to wear a suit" doesn't sound like a legitimate reason to suspend a guy for weeks.

That said, Sutton isn't very good. At all.

I think this started the snowball down the hill. Mgt probably confronted him and Grace about wearing suits on the air and Sutton making a passing reference to the dress code. Grace probably said, "Yes sir, you are right! So sorry, sir!" and was done with the whole thing. Sutton probably took a more insubordinate route that escalated.

That's my guess, at least. Hope he's gone for good.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose I'm just having a problem seeing Team Suit vs Team Polo somehow escalating into a full blown argument. Makes Sutton and ownership both look pretty bad.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I suppose I'm just having a problem seeing Team Suit vs Team Polo somehow escalating into a full blown argument. Makes Sutton and ownership both look pretty bad.
Another point of view is, as we've heard, that Sutton has been alienating management for years. After sticking with him, they finally said "Enough!"

We've also heard that Grace hasn't been getting along with Sutton. Daron "The Ego" Sutton took on the world and lost.

I just hope that Todd Walsh is never promoted to play-by-play. He is as insulting to his sidekicks as Sutton has been to Gracie.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another point of view is, as we've heard, that Sutton has been alienating management for years. After sticking with him, they finally said "Enough!"

We've also heard that Grace hasn't been getting along with Sutton. Daron "The Ego" Sutton took on the world and lost.

I just hope that Todd Walsh is never promoted to play-by-play. He is as insulting to his sidekicks as Sutton has been to Gracie.

I have never read or heard Grace and Sutton don't get along. I would think it's complete opposite.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never read or heard Grace and Sutton don't get along. I would think it's complete opposite.

You've never had a co-worker that you got along with away from work, but they made you uncomfortable at work? Ever have a friend that behaves like a despot to a waiter at a restaurant making a public scene?

There are levels of "get along," and professional relationships like that where you spend a lot of time on the road with that person, they can be complex.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I am back to muting the TV audio

It is Wednesday night vs. the Pods and I have gone back to muting the TV sound. Mark Grace is out of control. Instead of listening to Greg Schulte do the play-by-play, then do his job of color commentary, Grace starts talking over the Guv'nor as soon as each pitch reaches the plate.

And Schulte is too nice a guy to put Grace in his place. I find it annoying as hell. I hope the D'backs Director of Communications is listening to the telecasts and does something about it.

I'm telling you, the team of Jeff Munn and Tom Candiotti on radio is smooth, professional and comfortable to listen to for nine innings.

Mark Grace seems oblivious to the basics of his assignment. As a color analyst, Gonzo is better. Matt Williams, as drab as he was, was better. And Joe Garagiola, despite how out of touch he is with the 21st Century, is better. That's how stressful it is listening to Mark Grace.

And when he does his promos, sounding like a 4th grader auditioning for his first school play, every word is emphasized, an octave higher than normal. He is oblivious to the concept of using his voice to highlight the most important parts.

I choose the radio feed. Listen to Grace for awhile. What do you guys think?

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think?

I noticed that Gracie and Schulte tend to talk over each other (with Gracie probably talking when he shouldn't). I don't have a negative view towards Grace as some, I think he brings some interesting stuff to the conversation. Hopefully they can work it out, as I do like Schulte's voice. I definitely like him more than Sutton.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed that Gracie and Schulte tend to talk over each other (with Gracie probably talking when he shouldn't). I don't have a negative view towards Grace as some, I think he brings some interesting stuff to the conversation. Hopefully they can work it out, as I do like Schulte's voice. I definitely like him more than Sutton.

It really sounds to me like Grace has a problem with Schulte. The first inning in the game after the news broke, Grace actually told Schulte, "Let me finish." It's sounded very tense between them ever sense.

MLB teams would like you to believe the slick production of their broadcasts is a reflection of how well run the organization is. I've never bought into that, but this whole fiasco has me actually concerned about the front office. To let it go on when, at best, Schulte and Grace are poorly matched and everyone who watches can notice, that's not what I want to see in my baseball organization.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I'm telling you, the team of Jeff Munn and Tom Candiotti on radio is smooth, professional and comfortable to listen to for nine innings.

I actually think the complete opposite. Munn sounds like someone who needs to be on his own. Candiotti seems out of place and a little uncomfortable at times.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Bring back Chuck and Vince to do the games!

:mrgreen:

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I hope Mark Grace is listening

Luis Gonzalez has a small fraction of the experience doing TV color commentary as Mark Grace. But I hope that while Gracie has this week off, he catches some of Gonzo doing color with The Guv'nor.

Gonzo's comments are sharp, articulate and professional. He shares his insight, doesn't repeat himself and allows his play-by-play announcer to finish (or start) his sentences, whether he is calling the next play or doing the sponsor's promos, as do the rest of baseball's in-game analysts. That is the role of the color commentator.

For the week, I have stopped listening to the game on radio while muting the TV.

I hope that wherever Sutton winds up (it is obviously not going to be in Phoenix), he takes the man-child Grace with him.

And they can throw in Todd Walsh, who treats his pre-game/post-game sidekick Joe Borowski with the same insulting behavior as Sutton did Grace.

Grace's Abbott & Costello routine ("I'm a baaad boy.") has worn thin!

That's my opinion.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA