IRA and 401K limits increase for 2019

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Isn't it true that, even if you wanted to contribute "after-tax" money to a 401k, you would still bump up against the limits?

Not sure about that, I give right to the limit (remember mine is a govt 401K we call a TSP so it may be a little different in some details) when I reach the limit they just cut me off (I also lose the employer matching $$ for however many pay periods are left too).

Or are you talking about income limits? As far as I know there are no income limits to 401Ks, only with the Roth.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are tax breaks (now for 401K or later for Roth) it is my understanding the Government does that so people can't use a loophole to get out of taxes. If you use a regular type of investment you are paying on any interest earned on your annual return (in most cases) as these are retirement benefit accounts they don't have to do that.

The one change I'd really like to see is getting rid of that modified adjusted gross income limit for contributions to a Roth.

I understand the tax breaks. But were talking about retirement here... The cost of living is ridiculous in retirement. I know people that have maxed out their 401B since employment and 25 years later only have 800K thats not a lot towards retirement IMO... Takes a lot more then that especially if you end up with major medical issues which is likely as you get older. There should be zero limits on how much you can invest in your future. The Govt. will get their taxes at some point. Either now or when it is time to withdraw. The fact that there is limits is shameful.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Unfortunately the govt doesn't think that way. Some politicians actually want to limit the total amount someone can carry in a 401K (not annual limits but a total balance) because they want that money now, not later. Fortunately there are a lot more politicians in favor of the current plans than opposed.

I honestly think the limits were put in place so the wealthy couldn't take advantage and hide taxable income.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unfortunately the govt doesn't think that way. Some politicians actually want to limit the total amount someone can carry in a 401K (not annual limits but a total balance) because they want that money now, not later. Fortunately there are a lot more politicians in favor of the current plans than opposed.

I honestly think the limits were put in place so the wealthy couldn't take advantage and hide taxable income.

Yes that is certainly the reason the limits were put in place.

Adding an additional $500 for each doesn't move the needle very much. If the government truly wants to "save" SS, allowing people to save more is critical.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Yes that is certainly the reason the limits were put in place.

Adding an additional $500 for each doesn't move the needle very much. If the government truly wants to "save" SS, allowing people to save more is critical.

Or they could educate people on other options on saving for retirement that aren't designated "retirement plans" or create new plans. The big problem right now is that they say 1 in 3 working Americans has no retirement savings at all, even with plans like IRAs or 401Ks in place they have zero saved.

I tell my nieces and nephews in their 20's to open up IRAs now even if they only contribute $100 a month, until they can afford more--they don't listen of course. I wish someone had given me that advice because I think of the money I could have at this point rather than what I do have, my 401K was open in my late 20's and my IRA in my early 30's but sooner would have been better.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or they could educate people on other options on saving for retirement that aren't designated "retirement plans" or create new plans. The big problem right now is that they say 1 in 3 working Americans has no retirement savings at all, even with plans like IRAs or 401Ks in place they have zero saved.

I tell my nieces and nephews in their 20's to open up IRAs now even if they only contribute $100 a month, until they can afford more--they don't listen of course. I wish someone had given me that advice because I think of the money I could have at this point rather than what I do have, my 401K was open in my late 20's and my IRA in my early 30's but sooner would have been better.

My boys are 19 and 16 and they both contribute to an IRA. My oldest Also is putting enough money into a 401k to get the employer match. The job he has while going through school offers it. I "force" them to do this for the exact reason you mentioned...i wish someone had been really pushed me to save. I see the missed opportunity.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Virtually meaningless... It's laughable that anyone in Washington would prop up the value and importance of "saving," and then put such ridiculous limitations on what we can save...
Uh you know you can save more. Just not in a tax favored vehicle. No one is stopping you from actually saving more. Also, if you’ve got an HSA, max that out and keep all those savings for medical in retirement (you’re going to need it) and you triple tax advantages.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
401K's went up $2500 in Obama's 8 years in office, there were 3 straight years his administration didn't raise it at all. Let's not act like Trump is doing anything more or less than any previous president, his administration has raised it twice for $1000 total.
It’s indexed people. It’s not the president making this call. It’s written into the internal revenue code.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Isn't it true that, even if you wanted to contribute "after-tax" money to a 401k, you would still bump up against the limits?
Different limits. You have deferral/Roth limits and annual addition limits. The latter includes deferral and Roth and any employer contributions (match or profit sharing) and traditional aftertax (non-Roth) contributions combined.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not sure about that, I give right to the limit (remember mine is a govt 401K we call a TSP so it may be a little different in some details) when I reach the limit they just cut me off (I also lose the employer matching $$ for however many pay periods are left too).

Or are you talking about income limits? As far as I know there are no income limits to 401Ks, only with the Roth.
There are income limits for 401(k)s as well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I understand the tax breaks. But were talking about retirement here... The cost of living is ridiculous in retirement. I know people that have maxed out their 401B since employment and 25 years later only have 800K thats not a lot towards retirement IMO... Takes a lot more then that especially if you end up with major medical issues which is likely as you get older. There should be zero limits on how much you can invest in your future. The Govt. will get their taxes at some point. Either now or when it is time to withdraw. The fact that there is limits is shameful.
No government looks at the future taxes. They literally view any current breaks as tax expenditures (not kidding). So even if you’re going to pay taxes in the future they still only look at the current lost revenue.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

No, it’s really revenue driven. They police the wealthy by implementing adp/acp, 410(b), and 401(a) nondiscrimination testing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

In my opinion the real problem is employers abdicated responsibility for helping their less sophisticated employees when they all abandoned defined benefit plans years ago in favor of defined contribution (like 401(k)) which places the primary burden on people who don’t know what they’re doing. 401(k) plans were meant to be supplemental to defined benefit plans, not meant to carry the full weight of retirement saving. It’s a shame.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My boys are 19 and 16 and they both contribute to an IRA. My oldest Also is putting enough money into a 401k to get the employer match. The job he has while going through school offers it. I "force" them to do this for the exact reason you mentioned...i wish someone had been really pushed me to save. I see the missed opportunity.
Very smart. They’ll thank you later in life.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the real problem is employers abdicated responsibility for helping their less sophisticated employees when they all abandoned defined benefit plans years ago in favor of defined contribution (like 401(k)) which places the primary burden on people who don’t know what they’re doing. 401(k) plans were meant to be supplemental to defined benefit plans, not meant to carry the full weight of retirement saving. It’s a shame.

My girlfriends company automatically increases her 401K contribution every year unless she opts to have them not increase it. I actually like it but yeah the issue with 401K's is most people have no clue what funds they're in. THey just pick a couple that sound good with no idea what they are and leave them there. As long as you have stocks in them and you wait long enough they will go up over time, but you can lose a ton of potential money by picking the wrong funds.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What bothers me is that whether or not a person can maximally save for retirement is based on a private choice their employer makes, whether they choose to offer a 401k or not.

Anyone can open an IRA, but those are limited even now to $6000 per year. If your employer chooses to offer a 401k, now you can magically save an additional $19000 per year more than other people, pre tax. My employer doesn't feel like offering one. Great.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What bothers me is that whether or not a person can maximally save for retirement is based on a private choice their employer makes, whether they choose to offer a 401k or not.

Anyone can open an IRA, but those are limited even now to $6000 per year. If your employer chooses to offer a 401k, now you can magically save an additional $19000 per year more than other people, pre tax. My employer doesn't feel like offering one. Great.

yep and if you'er lucky and they do offer one, then you're often limited to the investment choices they offer which are usually quite slim.

I have had a 401K of some sort or another for over 30 years and you're absolutely right, contributing to it and getting matching has been a HUGE factor in my ability to save money.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My girlfriends company automatically increases her 401K contribution every year unless she opts to have them not increase it. I actually like it but yeah the issue with 401K's is most people have no clue what funds they're in. THey just pick a couple that sound good with no idea what they are and leave them there. As long as you have stocks in them and you wait long enough they will go up over time, but you can lose a ton of potential money by picking the wrong funds.
Yes auto features are the future for retirement savings. Auto enroll, auto escalation, and target date funds (diversified and wind down in equity as approach retirement). They attempt to take the decision making off the individual. I preach these daily. It’s the industry’s attempt to DB-ize the 401(k). But even with all that the 401(k) is still a limited creature for retirement savings.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Yes that’s also a big problem. Again it gets back to the government viewing it as a tax expenditure. There’s really no reason why an employer sponsored 401(k) should allow greater tax-advantages savings than an IRA.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There should be a mechanism for employees who aren't offered retirement plans at their employer to save on a similar type investment.

They key with all these things is getting started early. Allow time and compounding interest to work in your favor. Also, try to putt away as much as you can...even if it is in a non-retirement account (use tax advantaged investments like index funds?

AZCrazy, had your employer given any indication why they won't offer some sort of retirement plan? I assume they are concerned with cost but there are options that create very little cost to them other than a minimal matching contribution

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

I know the government used their version of the 401K (TSP) as a supplement to the pension. The old pension plan used to be a Govt worker got the average of his high 3 of salary multiplied by the number of years served multipled by 2%. For example a worker has a high 3 of $100,000 at 30 years of service X 2% equaled $60,000 a year. They later introduced the TSP but did no matching to those under that plan.

The new plan was reduced to 1%, so that same worker would only have $30k in pension but would also have the gov match up to 5% of your salary a year in the TSP and you dictated how much you contributed towards your retirement account.

I don’t see how the Govt can or would dictate to businesses what they must offer though. The burden falls on the employee to find the place that offers the best benefits, it creates a competitive job market, or should in theory, with companies having to up their game to get the best employees.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

That is one thing that should be fixed, IRA limits should match 401k limits if you don’t have the benefit of being able to participate in one of those plans.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There should be a mechanism for employees who aren't offered retirement plans at their employer to save on a similar type investment.

They key with all these things is getting started early. Allow time and compounding interest to work in your favor. Also, try to putt away as much as you can...even if it is in a non-retirement account (use tax advantaged investments like index funds?

AZCrazy, had your employer given any indication why they won't offer some sort of retirement plan? I assume they are concerned with cost but there are options that create very little cost to them other than a minimal matching contribution
Actually a 401(k) doesn’t need to cost an employer a penny. Matching contributions are not mandatory and the costs for record keeping, legal, etc can be expensed against the plan (the employees). The primary reasons an employer doesn’t offer a plan is either (a) too lazy, or (b) doesn’t want the responsibility (but fiduciary respinsibilities these days are easy to take care of or can be outsourced and not become an employer cost).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I know the government used their version of the 401K (TSP) as a supplement to the pension. The old pension plan used to be a Govt worker got the average of his high 3 of salary multiplied by the number of years served multipled by 2%. For example a worker has a high 3 of $100,000 at 30 years of service X 2% equaled $60,000 a year. They later introduced the TSP but did no matching to those under that plan.

The new plan was reduced to 1%, so that same worker would only have $30k in pension but would also have the gov match up to 5% of your salary a year in the TSP and you dictated how much you contributed towards your retirement account.

I don’t see how the Govt can or would dictate to businesses what they must offer though. The burden falls on the employee to find the place that offers the best benefits, it creates a competitive job market, or should in theory, with companies having to up their game to get the best employees.
Oh I don’t think the government should require any employer offer a plan. Rather it’s a change in our societal structure where employers no longer look to assist their employees reach their retirement. At least not in the most meaningful way possible. I’ll preach pro-DB plans until I’m blue in the face and occasionally I find an employer who will listen. But they aren’t great for the bottom line for companies and thus I doubt we’ll see a comeback.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I don’t think the government should require any employer offer a plan. Rather it’s a change in our societal structure where employers no longer look to assist their employees reach their retirement. At least not in the most meaningful way possible. I’ll preach pro-DB plans until I’m blue in the face and occasionally I find an employer who will listen. But they aren’t great for the bottom line for companies and thus I doubt we’ll see a comeback.

There's a company in San Francisco called Zen Benefits that's trying to do just that. The CEO is Jay Fulcher, i went to HS with him he was a senior when I was a freshman we both played basketball. I don't think I've seen him since I was 16 years old so over 30 years.

If you read about him he's saying the exact same stuff, companies need to invest in their employees's health both medical health and financial health. The cost of constantly replacing unhappy employees far exceeds what they think they are saving by NOT doing it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenefits