very clichee

plot - too ridiculous
cast and characters - boring, bland

Overall trying too hard to be too cool.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did and enjoying it so far. The only thing I wish they would do is tone down the over the top martial art moves. Why? Because the Martial arts are already so damn good in the show. Having studied for almost 10 years, my biggest pet peeve in these types of shows is that gawd awful choreography.

Even without the over the top wire stuff, the fighting is grade A. Plus some of the cinematography is spectacular. The over the top stuff is adding a completely unnecessary "cheese" factor to the show.

Overall? Still having fun watching it.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't decide if I want to try and watch this or not. I don't like the look of this on the commercials. Very "BBC" looking. I really don't like the "you have to watch this if you want to see the coming attractions to TWD". That annoys me.

I like artistic, subdued martial arts like Crouching Tiger, would I like this or is it more Jackie Chan type stuff?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't decide if I want to try and watch this or not. I don't like the look of this on the commercials. Very "BBC" looking. I really don't like the "you have to watch this if you want to see the coming attractions to TWD". That annoys me.

I like artistic, subdued martial arts like Crouching Tiger, would I like this or is it more Jackie Chan type stuff?

It's more Crouching Tiger. I actually prefer the opposite. The over the top gore and wire stuff adds an unnecessary level of "cheese". What I love about Jackie is his stuff is way more grounded. He uses his environment and what is around him.

Again, this show doesn't need the over the top stuff. I think it's good enough to stand on it's own. The fight scenes are beautifully choreographed and the martial arts technique is top notch.

The story? Well...it's a post apocalyptic world which has been done a ton of times but it's still interesting.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

It's more Crouching Tiger. I actually prefer the opposite. The over the top gore and wire stuff adds an unnecessary level of "cheese". What I love about Jackie is his stuff is way more grounded. He uses his environment and what is around him.

Again, this show doesn't need the over the top stuff. I think it's good enough to stand on it's own. The fight scenes are beautifully choreographed and the martial arts technique is top notch.

The story? Well...it's a post apocalyptic world which has been done a ton of times but it's still interesting.

It is nothing like Crouching Tiger or Hero.

Crouchting Tiger/Hero = Beethoven/Mozart
Into the Badland = Justin Bieber

If you like mainstream Jet Li (Romeo must die, Born 2 Die) movies or the Dragonball movie then this is probably something for you.

Netflix preview of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel

Into the Badlands is nothing like this. ItB is much more in your face mainstream action flick.

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well now I'm confused. :D

Wth, I'll just try out the first episode or two. Hopefully they're On Demand or I'm sure AMC will have a marathon soon.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is nothing like Crouching Tiger or Hero.

Crouchting Tiger/Hero = Beethoven/Mozart
Into the Badland = Justin Bieber

If you like mainstream Jet Li (Romeo must die, Born 2 Die) movies or the Dragonball movie then this is probably something for you.

Into the Badlands is nothing like this. ItB is much more in your face mainstream action flick.

The original question was.... did it lean more towards Jackie Chan (street fighting, using your environment to assist with fights) type scenes or more crouching tiger (wire work, fantastical or over the top fighting).

It clearly leans more towards Crouching Tiger in it's fighting style when it comes to wire work, some of the jumping and flipping around. I didn't say it was exactly like it. For example, you don't see people flying around on screen like in that movie or overly "artsy" scenes. That is not what I was referring too.

The good news is there is enough "grounded" martial arts on this show to forgive some of the ridiculous over the top stuff. Overall the martial arts is fantastic.

In term of "mainstream"? It's nothing like mainstream actions flicks. Most of those movies are full of bad martial arts. Not this show. The best analogy I can give it, is probably like comparing Lord of the Rings to Game of Thrones. Lord of the Ring is complete fantasy and GOT tries to make it as real as possible while sprinkling in fantasy. That is probably a better analogy. Because for the most part this show does something similar but using wire work and over the top gore sprinkled into excellent fight scenes.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The original question was did it lean more towards Jackie Chan (street fighting, using your environment to assist with fights) type scenes or more crouching tiger (wire work, fantastical or over the top fighting).

It clearly leans more towards Crouching Tiger in it's fighting style when it comes to wire work, some of the jumping and flipping around. I didn't say it was exactly like it. For example, you don't see people flying around on screen like in that movie or overly "artsy" scenes. That is not what I was referring too.

The good news is there is enough "grounded" martial arts on this show to forgive some of the ridiculous over the top stuff. Overall the martial arts is fantastic.

In term of "mainstream"? It's nothing like mainstream actions flicks. Most of those movies are full of bad martial arts. Not this show. The best analogy I can give it, is probably like comparing Lord of the Rings to Game of Thrones. Lord of the Ring is complete fantasy and GOT tries to make it as real as possible while sprinkling in fantasy. That is probably a better analogy. Because for the most part this show does something similar but using wire work and over the top gore sprinkled into excellent fight scenes.

I'll help you with your LotR/GoT analogy. Lord of the Rings is typical high fantasy. In fact, I consider Tolkien the grandfather of fantasy, especially high fantasy. Game of Thrones is typical grimdark fantasy. Those are the sub-genres of the two properties.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So far I have see 2.5 episodes and it is more Jackie Chan fighting than Crouching Tiger. No comedy fighting like Jackie Chan, but a lot of physicality like Jackie Chan. So far the martial arts have been spectacular.

I think it is like Game of Thrones with the different Barons and territories, coupled with a martial arts version of Mad Max LOL.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just saw a guy in a wheel chair kick a young kids ass! LMAO! episode 3. Really cool!

Just watched season 1. OK, so the martial arts start off like Jackie Chan, and in episode 4 get more wire work, but still not like soaring over country sides, etc., like Crouching Tiger.

I gotta say I am excited for season 2. The cliff hangers on each episode are excellent. Nice twists, too.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The season 2 premiere was even better any episode on season 1! whoever choreographs the martial arts scenes is a genius.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love this show. It's not that the concept is amazingly original but because they make the show fun and for the most part the martial arts choreography at times is spectacular. Sure there is some cheese and some questionable acting but the show doesn't take itself too seriously IMO.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Last show was sort of predictable, but they did it in a way that was really fun. Thoroughly enjoyed this last episode! Lots of good fights! One of the best uses of a fat guy shackled to you in a fight ever!

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Is it really only 6 shows a season?

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
How many episodes does season 2 have?

What episode are they on now in season 2?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson