Interstellar

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought it was OK but it was a little too far out there for me.

I enjoyed the father daughter dynamic.

I just really struggled with the last 30 minutes of the movie. It just seemed like it took a bizarre turn that made little sense. Too bad, because I really enjoyed it up until then.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good but not great. It had long stretches of absolute brilliance, but lost itself to visuals, dragging script and effects in others. A nice once-through viewing without any kind of rewatchability (to coin a new word lol).

Totally agree.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought it was OK but it was a little too far out there for me.

I enjoyed the father daughter dynamic.

I just really struggled with the last 30 minutes of the movie. It just seemed like it took a bizarre turn that made little sense. Too bad, because I really enjoyed it up until then.

yeah... those last thirty minutes kind of crapped in the face of the rest of the movie.

these are BIG SPOILERS AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE THE SPOILER THING, SO HERE GOES A WAYS DOWN FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE YET...

here's what doesn't make sense... he was the ghost, right? which means HE was the one who gave the coordinates in the first place... AND sent the message STAY? Why in the world would he have given the coordinates to find Michael Caine in the first place? Or someone ELSE was another ghost who gave the coordinates to find Michael Caine? But how does that make any sense?

And he finds the secret location... and they say want to be our pilot? Why didn't they just go to him in the first place? That whole set up seemed idiotic.

Last edited by a moderator:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I love good sci-fi. I also like a good human story.

Excellent music score. Zimmer's best in quite a while. Visually outstanding. McConaughey with a great performance. Ambitious. That's all i got.

I was pretty much along for the ride until we got the Matt Damon "bad astronaut" stuff. Lol. Then when Cooper miraculously docked with the damaged Endurance i checked out almost entirely...then was sucked back in for the Black Hole/bookshelf stuff(that was interesting...then the rules changed again, so we could get the Nolan grandiose finale. Nonsense.

Too pretentious for my taste. All over the place in terms of sub-plots that either don't matter, or sub-plots that are interesting but just pushed through and forced. Also more of Nolan changing the ground rules as the film goes along. I went in forgiving everything i disliked about TDK and Inception. I'm just not a Nolan guy.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Excellent music score. Zimmer's best in quite a while. Visually outstanding. McConaughey with a great performance. Ambitious. That's all i got.

I was pretty much along for the ride until we got the Matt Damon "bad astronaut" stuff. Lol. Then when Cooper miraculously docked with the damaged Endurance i checked out almost entirely...then was sucked back in for the Black Hole/bookshelf stuff(that was interesting...then the rules changed again, so we could get the Nolan grandiose finale. Nonsense.

Too pretentious for my taste. All over the place in terms of sub-plots that either don't matter, or sub-plots that are interesting but just pushed through and forced. Also more of Nolan changing the ground rules as the film goes along. I went in forgiving everything i disliked about TDK and Inception. I'm just not a Nolan guy.

See, I hated the musical score. I felt they just hammered away with it, beating the audience over the head with repetition.

NoelPHX

Space for Sale
Reaction score
I liked the visuals. It was thought provoking but you really had to not think to hard about it or the holes really start popping up. Some good moments. Agreed that the IMAX version had some super loud parts where the wife and I looked at each other and said WTF did they just say because of the music.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took my son to see it. Excellent movie. It was such a good change for this type of movie. Some of the planet scenes were amazing not to mention the end sequence when he was watching the streams of time.

This is keeper when it comes out on Blu Ray.

Last edited:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

I loved the film, but I have to agree with what you mentioned in your spoiler. I think it would have been a better film if they completely cut those scenes. The payoff at the end with the black hole was really neat though regardless of whether the science works. Who really knows for sure anyway.

All the plot hole complaints on the internet are hilarious. It's just a movie folks, enjoy it!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I enjoyed this one.....we have been due for a "concept" type movie to hit the big screen and this one for the most part was pretty well done....

my biggest beef was the order they hit the planets....made more sense to me to go to the furthest planet and then work your way back,...thus avoiding the time distortion delays inherent with the first planet due to it's proximity to the singularity....they may have found their planet without ever having to deal with the twenty years of lost time...thus increasing the odds of a successful evacuation of the planet....

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A very well made movie that just seemed to fall apart. I agree that the last 30 minutes was simply throw away trash that made little or no sense. The science was not very good either. And as Walt points out, a lot of it was simply sappy.

Too bad. This could have been a really great film instead of a slightly better than ok film (Yes... the visuals were stunning, but didn't rescue the film as a whole).

3 out of 5 stars.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I recently re-watched this in Netflix; liked it even more the 2nd time around.

About the ghost - I didn't really think he was a ghost in the traditional sense. Thought it had more to do with the space-time continuum where in a black hole you can see yourself in past/present/future dimensions?

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Other than the Terminator, theres almost no good time loop movie that can stand up. The writers get greedy and it just gets too convoluted.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

About the ghost - I didn't really think he was a ghost in the traditional sense. Thought it had more to do with the space-time continuum where in a black hole you can see yourself in past/present/future dimensions?

Agreed. I don't think it was a great movie but we actually liked it more than expected and it holds up very well to a re-watch.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man this movie was long. Liked it in parts, got bored in other parts. Some of the twists left me going "huh?"

Only part I really really liked was the black hole scene. I kind of want to watch it again to see what i missed but man, that's almost 3 hours of movie, haha.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Man this movie was long. Liked it in parts, got bored in other parts. Some of the twists left me going "huh?"

Only part I really really liked was the black hole scene. I kind of want to watch it again to see what i missed but man, that's almost 3 hours of movie, haha.
It's a movie you have to watch a couple times to really understand it. The first time you watch it you're wondering wtheck is going on...and the 2nd time you watch it, it starts to make a lot more sense. Long movie, but it's visually stunning and it makes you think beyond what you normally would...unless of course you're an astronomer or theoretical physicist lol

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other than the Terminator, theres almost no good time loop movie that can stand up. The writers get greedy and it just gets too convoluted.

Back To The Future disagrees with you.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

I recently re-watched it also, and I agree it's even more enjoyable the 2nd time around, when you can just sit back and enjoy it without trying to figure it out. Holds up well.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
A friend had a great story on this one. They came out of the movie and two farm boys were buzzing about it, because it made them feel like they could be heroes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA