Internet Connectivity

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Chaplin, Aug 20, 2018.

1. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

wireless bridge

2. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Sometimes those can be flaky. I use one in my bedroom DirecTV receiver and I have to reboot it once every couple of months. But it's really nice to be able to share content between DVRs in both rooms. My living room receiver is hardwired to the router and it's solid as a rock.

3. MrYeahbut

I've got no way to hard wire the DVR. I also have the wireless Genie system and that works on the 2 other TV's in the house without any problems. Maybe I'll try resetting the bridge....Please stay online until after midnight to help me when I inevitably have problems....

j/k... I haven't been up past 9.30pm in a decade.

4. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Ha! I turn into a pumpkin by then. :lol:

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Site Owner Administrator Staff Member

Have you ever tried powerline? Its 2 adapters you plug into your wall sockets and then you plug in your ethernet cables to those. It allows data(internet) to travel through your power lines. I had this on my older home dish setup. I didn't have a ethernet connection near my dish DVR so I bought a powerline setup, plugged one near the router and then plugged the other behind my dvr receiver. Worked like a charm and never dropped connection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_8?k=powerline+adapter&sprefix=power

I went with the netgear ones.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  6. MrYeahbut

Thanks Shaggy, I'll look into this

7. jf-08

jf-08 Administrator; Rules Creator Staff Member

This has happened to me several times within the past month or so. It doesn't make sense, but I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing this. I unplug my DirecTV unit for 30 seconds and after it re-boots, things seem to go back to normal.

8. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I used Powerline when renting a house in Sacramento and it worked great. and in our case solved the problem of Amazon Prime dropping the wireless connection. we also had Directv and had the exact same problem with the DVR disconnecting etc. When I called to complain they said it was unusual, clearly it is isn't from the posts here and the posts in online forums.

Also there are the powerline adapters that do wireless, adn there are those that also allow you to plug in ethernet to the adapter and then to whatever device. Mine did both and also had a plug so you plugged it in, but didn't lose a plug as the face of the adapter had a plug for you to plug something else into. Don't need it in my apartment but I have it packed away for later when we move.