Internal 1st Base Option

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why not try Tomas out there? Maybe his bat will come back around and regain some value. Just a thought .

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Why not try Tomas out there? Maybe his bat will come back around and regain some value. Just a thought .
If that were a consideration, I'd rather see him in the outfield.

A first baseman directly services five of the other eight positions on the field (three in particular). One who does not have Major League skill at the position could do a lot of damage.

Of course, I feel that because, when I was younger, as a lefty, my position was 1B. And when I took my two young sons to a sandlot ball field to throw the ball around, one played 2B, one at SS and me at 1B.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Tomas is a liability anywhere on defense but could be worse than the outfield. I don't know, but it is a thought.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If that were a consideration, I'd rather see him in the outfield.

A first baseman directly services five of the other eight positions on the field (three in particular). One who does not have Major League skill at the position could do a lot of damage.

Of course, I feel that because, when I was younger, as a lefty, my position was 1B. And when I took my two young sons to a sandlot ball field to throw the ball around, one played 2B, one at SS and me at 1B.

Lamb at 1B won't be any better, for the same reason.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is an interesting thought however I think the organization will let Tomas rot in Reno. If this had been a possibility they would have been working him at 1B in the minors. If not for Tomas, it is possible they would have been able re-sign Goldy.

This team is a mess right now. Things will begin to clarify.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Tomas' attitude, work ethic & fielding were the issues. His numbers were decent, you could solve the fielding issues hopefully at 1B. We need him to establish trade value in order to move him but as everyone pointed out this team wants no part of him but it seems like cutting payroll is their objective. So unless they are okay with a $32M dead weight contract then let him rot, but this team needs another bat.

OP
OP
outcent13

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Tomas' attitude, work ethic & fielding were the issues. His numbers were decent, you could solve the fielding issues hopefully at 1B. We need him to establish trade value in order to move him but as everyone pointed out this team wants no part of him but it seems like cutting payroll is their objective. So unless they are okay with a $32M dead weight contract then let him rot, but this team needs another bat.
I guess that was my thought, the team is going nowhere this season. Let him play first and hopefully he at least hits enough to establish himself as a DH option for an AL team. We would have to eat some salary if he was to get traded but at least you move on . Who knows best case he hits like 2016 and is average at 1st .