Interesting Air Raid Insights from TX high school coach

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by kerouac9, Jul 14, 2019.

1. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

Are you being purposely obtuse? I don't care how the information is delivered (that playbook could just as easily be a 2000-slide powerpoint deck), but what's important is the amount of detail necessary to create and install the offensive system. I'm quite certain that most NFL playbooks are in presentation styles that players can flip through.

Video works because it SIMPLIFIES concepts that are otherwise complicated. You and I both understand that it takes HUNDREDS of pages of text — written text — to create a 22-minute TV show. That if you went into production with a 50-page script, it would be an utter mess and impossible to do.

The challenge to me is whether the foundational, not fun, building-10-different-blocking-schemes-for-each-defensive-front has been done before February of 2019 for this offense.

2. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

See I don’t think Kelly was a “successful” disruptor.

And Leech was absolutely successful, but you still have to have the parts to go to the next level. See Riley at Oklahoma.

And you don’t think belicheck was a distuptor? He absolutely has been in terms that you might not recognize, from management of his staff, to management of talent and the draft. He’s stayed on top due to three things: (1) Brady, (2) excellent in-game tactician, and (3) his out of the box organizational management.

As for Saban, sometimes just having the cheat codes to the best talent in the country creates an unlevel playing field.

3. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Honestly I’m not being purposefully obtuse but I am failing to grasp what you’re trying to explain.

4. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

Or maybe most NFL playbooks are in a style most of the 50 year old coaches are comfortable with?

Until I hear otherwise, I'm not going to automatically downgrade a new way of presenting information. These post-millenials that make up the vast majority of the NFL are very different than you or I. I was born right at the end of Gen X and I have a hard time associating with millenials.

daves likes this.
  5. Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky Registered

That may very well be true. It could be for a couple of reasons.
    1. He knew that Tom Clements was gonna review his offense to see what would & wouldn't work in the NFL from the air raid.
    2. He knows the plays so well that he didn't feel the need to bring a playbook, has the confidence to teach the offense to each player. It's a little hard to believe that though, there has to be a playbook for players to study but what do I know lol?

6. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

I'm not going to quote every single post in here point by point, so I'm just hopping in with this...

I'm all for new ways of presentation too, but the video thing concerns me depending on how it's formatted. Is this an X's and O's thing that animates the optimal route tree, or options of route trees, being precise with cuts at certain distances and such? If so, fine.

But my estimation from the rest of the conversation is more like the video presentation is "look at what these dudes did before," which means it isn't exact for a teaching moment. No college WR is a precise enough route runner compared to the NFL.

Kliff played in the NFL, it might be a non-issue in how he's translated it into a real playbook, but it is concerning.

kerouac9 likes this.
  7. Krangthebrain

Everything the Cardinals do is concerning to you right now.

If Andrew Luck was traded for a 11th round pick, you'd be concerned about the player they missed out on. :p

8. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

It's more like 40% good, 60% bad.

I really just don't want to get my hopes up. If we win three games this year, I can say "well Solar, you got what you expected, at least you focused mostly on fantasy football and other things," as opposed to how I felt in the final two years of Arians' run, where I genuinely thought deep playoff runs were in the cards.

Last year I had no idea what to expect, but was hopeful... this year has gone against every instinct I have as a businessperson, fan, and football aficionado. It's a bummer, but if we come out kicking ass, I'll sure be with ya'll!

9. Krangthebrain

The Cardinals have tried ordinary, boring, and conservative for so long and have as a result, often been a mediocre to terrible team.

Boldness is refreshing. Sure it's a gamble, but if it pays off, it could payoff big.

10. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

"Ordinary and boring?" We're only a few years removed from being in the NFC Championship game. About a decade from being in the Super Bowl.

We've been arguably conservative maybe the past two years.

11. Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior Dangerous Murray Zealot

Solar7, part of this year's enthusiasm relates to how we've taken last year's approach, and basically thrown it in the trash can. We're all glad we don't have to re-live a horrifying 2018.

Also, it's because the strategy we're implementing this year just oozes with potential.

Maybe K1 + K2 + DJ won't work out. But it's not that hard to imagine this combination scoring a whole bunch of points, especially if we can keep them together for a few years.

We're currently sitting on zero championships. Zero.

Aren't you at least a little glad that they're trying something different, in an effort to win a Superbowl?

BigRedRage likes this.
  12. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

I wanted Rosen with the new coach. Hes gone. Murray has huge potential and I am excited and hopeful. Not much more to discuss on the topic.

cardncubfan and kerouac9 like this.
  13. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

No, I want us to do the right, statistically sound thing. I work in a career where doing things just to be different will get me a short trip to the unemployment line.

14. Krangthebrain

Ordinary and boring is like 95% of this franchises history.

BigRedRage likes this.
  15. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

I'd argue it's more "wildly poor choices and ineptitude at every corner."