Interesting Air Raid Insights from TX high school coach

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by kerouac9, Jul 14, 2019 at 7:35 AM.

1. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

Check out the podcast for yourself.

The Ringer’s NFL podcast had a very cool discussion this week with a coach who specializes in defense at the Texas high school level. Some really interesting stuff about why defenses seem to take longer to adjust and experiment, and about how to contain Air Raid offenses.

One thing that jumped out to me was that one reason the air raid works so well in college and high school is not that it’s complex—it’s that it is so SIMPLE. College and high school coaches are extremely limited in how long they can spend working with these kids. The Air Raid is so conceptual that many teams today don’t even have playbooks or route trees.

This means that instead of spending a lot of time in the classroom and film room, lower-level coaches can work on the field at execution.

This is a long way of saying that I think Murray’s understanding of the offense, such that it is, is less of a factor, as is a transition period for the professionals on the roster. Expect a lot of comments in camp about how the offense really just frees you up to play football and make plays, or whatever.

Expect offensive rookies to adapt much more quickly.

Cardsfaninlouky and b8rtm8nn like this.
  2. football karma

football karma formerly known as En Fuego

1. i really like the Ringer

2. NFL coaches chief complaint is lack of practice time now -- this approach might be timely.

3. as best as i have been able to gather: the KK offense is simple, but each play is disguised by formation, personnel and/or motion. These disguises vary week to week.

the most KK has said is "simple with the illusion of complexity"

4. defense experiments have higher cost of failure than offense. If a pass play doesnt work, the QB can throw it into the ground. If a defensive coverage doesnt work, its a big gain/TD.

3. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

I put this up when Kingsbury got hired about how the Air Raid works because the WR runs a single route, not a route tree and I got slammed

4. devilalum

devilalum Heavily Redacted

[​IMG]

CardLogic, blindseyed, Arz101 and 4 others like this.
  5. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

I'll critique you and @Krangthebrain at once, if you guys would like, haha.

No one is getting me excited about how simplicity helps a high school or college offense, where it's not professional play. To me, simple playbooks = simple for pro defenses. The league's best head coach just took some young kid's best coaching punch in the Super Bowl and basically said "boy, sit down."

Air Raid elements are totally the future of the NFL, given less time to coach and such, but simple doesn't spark my interest.

CardNots likes this.
  6. b8rtm8nn

b8rtm8nn Registered

I dunno if it is that simple, we also watched a young OC generate a 24 point lead in a super bowl over that same head coach using an offense that relied on massive amounts of shifting to open up opportunities to move the ball. The Falcons blew it after that, but it wasn't because of the offensive scheme.

But if Kingsbury only gets us to lose in the Super Bowl in his second year, I can totally see getting rid of him and pursuing a more traditional offensive mind that Belichick can't defeat :)

Ronin likes this.
  7. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

Maybe, but both Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay have been in the NFL for basically their entire lives. It's easier to fold new concepts into a base that you you know is fundamentally sound at this level.

I'd also argue that that Falcons offense wasn't playing over their heads; they had one of the most talented groups of offensive skill position players in recent memory.

Solar7 likes this.
  8. AZCrazy

AZCrazy Registered

Kingsbury isn't alone in the room. He's got coaches Vance Joseph, James Saxon, Jeff Rodgers, Sean Kugler, and Tom Clements all with 13-21 years of NFL experience to help out.

Cardsfaninlouky and daves like this.
  9. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

Cool story. How's that different than the experience Steve Spurrier and Chip Kelly brought to their staffs? Again, this is about how you integrate your offense (and build your training camp curriculum, which is also important). Mike McCarthy's offense hasn't really been too cutting-edge in the NFL.

Starting with a college offense and folding in NFL concepts is profoundly different than what Belichick, Reid, Kubiak and McVay did, which was starting with an NFL-proven playbook sprinkling in college concepts.

Solar7 likes this.
  10. blindseyed

blindseyed I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita

In all honesty he could be doing that too, we have no clue what they're doing yet, I seriously don't think the coaches actually know what this offense is going to look like yet either, they have an idea but right after OTAs Kingsbury said something interesting to the effect, that they were still seeing what worked and what didn't so he wasn't sure how to categories it
    I don't know what's gonna happen to be honest lol

11. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Cool quip. From all appearances Kelly and Spurrier were egomaniacs and Kingsbury seems to have already publicly intimated that he’d be looking to NFL minds for input. But you know everything that’s happened in the past with different people has to happen again every time. :rolleyes:

daves likes this.
  12. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

I didn't say that, and I don't believe it. I'm just saying that the presence of veteran NFL coaches on the roster hasn't mitigated this question in the past. You know as well as I do that saying something and doing it are quite different, especially if you feel like you're doing it "their way" to begin and you don't have immediate success.

I actually think that Kingsbury is extremely humble and will be willing to listen, but I think the biggest danger is that this Air Raid stuff just doesn't work in the NFL and there's a reason that real NFL offenses are complex/written down.

My biggest fear is that even if Kingsbury is smart, it's not enough. You can't build a castle on a foundation of sand. I don't know enough to say that the differences are enough to matter, but one can imagine that there's a reason that every other NFL coach had a play book that was... you know... written down.

daves and Solar7 like this.
  13. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

has this been verified that there is no actual playbook in Arizona right now? Or are we just going off his college stuff?

Cardsfaninlouky and daves like this.
  14. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

I think everything was recorded on paper as of March or April.

Ink is still dry.

15. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

What?