In light of increasing comments regarding Booker's happiness...

What should the Suns do to "keep Booker from seeking greener grass" (in words of Burns and Gambo)?

• Make a trade now for Karl Anthony Towns centered around DeAndre Ayton

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Make a trade now for DeAngelo Russell centered around Kelly Oubre and Ricky Rubio

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Make a trade now for a power forward to pair with DeAndre Ayton at center

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Make a trade now for a center to pair with DeAndre Ayton at power forward

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Make a trade now for bench scoring

• Ride out the remainder of the season and wait until the next offseason

• Other (feel free to explain)

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My two votes are for Other (as I think James Jones needs to be fired before any other moves are made, since I do not trust him to do anything further that will not harm the franchise even more) and then trading for a power forward to pair with Ayton at center.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
My two votes are also for, somehow miraculously, Robert Sarver to bring in an experienced
General Manager and reassign James Jones. Fat chance that is going to happen.

But, I believe that Deandre Ayton can do more overall good at Power Forward alongside a
strong role playing Center. There is nothing in his past to say otherwise. He shies away
from contact. Which is not what you'd expect from your big man on offense or defense.

OP
OP
1Sun

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My two votes are also for, somehow miraculously, Robert Sarver to bring in an experienced

But, I believe that Deandre Ayton can do more overall good at Power Forward alongside a
strong role playing Center. There is nothing in his past to say otherwise. He shies away
from contact. Which is not what you'd expect from your big man on offense or defense.

I can see that. I just don't think Ayton will ever be able to develop a reliable enough outside shot to be a floor spacing 4 next to a defensive role-playing 5.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I feel like the massive failure of the Baynes/Ayton combo should have driven home the point that, despite whatever Ayton may prefer, he is FAR more suited to play center, and it isn't even close.

Is he getting to the FT line often on offense? No. But getting to the FT line is as important for a center as it is a PF, so that shouldn't be a factor in the least.

Is every freaking other aspect of his skill set screaming center over power forward? Absolutely.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like the massive failure of the Baynes/Ayton combo should have driven home the point that, despite whatever Ayton may prefer, he is FAR more suited to play center, and it isn't even close.

Is he getting to the FT line often on offense? No. But getting to the FT line is as important for a center as it is a PF, so that shouldn't be a factor in the least.

Is every freaking other aspect of his skill set screaming center over power forward? Absolutely.

This might be the crux of Ayton's problem and might have to much Channing Frye in him. Size to be a center but not really the mentality to play Center. Yet definitely doesn't have the shooting range to stretch out the court as a 4. Plus, if he is too soft at center he won't change just because he is playing PF.

I am starting to like the possibility of a KAT trade the more I noodle on it. My gut tells me the Suns might regret trading Ayton down the road. Hell AZ sports history says it's likely to happen. However, 10 years out of the playoffs??

I am really worried about losing Booker if this takes to long to fix. If we could somehow keep Ayton and get KAT that would be optimal but that is pipe dream. Heck getting KAT is probably a pipe dream.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Well, then, we need to replace Ayton with a Center who does not shy away from contact.

If that means trading him, so be it. Part of a player's evaluation should be how he fits the
needs of the team.

Drafting Ayton was not a mistake. Keeping him might be.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, then, we need to replace Ayton with a Center who does not shy away from contact.

If that means trading him, so be it. Part of a player's evaluation should be how he fits the
needs of the team.

Drafting Ayton was not a mistake. Keeping him might be.

Or, perhaps instead of giving up on a really young player in their 2nd season, maybe try developing the player, who already is pretty damn good, and try to make them better.

Wild thought.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Or, perhaps instead of giving up on a really young player in their 2nd season, maybe try developing the player, who already is pretty damn good, and try to make them better.

Wild thought.
Obviously it's not a wild thought . . . in general.

The question is how long would it take knowledgeable NBA management
to ascertain whether Deandre Ayton is not an NBA Center because he
doesn't seem to like contact -- in driving to the basket or rebounding?

They see more than we do. Is he any different in practices? They talk
with him. Has he given them hope for gain?

And, if it's not the case, the next question is how they resolve it? Trade
him for another Center? Move him to Power Forward? Keep him at
Center and hope that he will somehow become a difference maker as
the Suns try to avoid being among the worst teams in the league for
another decade?

As a Suns fan, I say that no one player should be bigger than the needs
of the team. It is not just about Ayton. It is about whether he is a good
fit on this team. Obviously, something needs to change!

Specifically, Phraz, what have you seen in Ayton to lead you to believe
that he can overcome his shortcomings vs. we've seen what he is?

A laid back Bahamian, who had also lived in laid back San Diego and
laid back Phoenix. Picture Ayton on the Knicks or Bulls. The fans
would tear him apart.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I voted for KAT only because there wasn't a Robert Sarver falling in the shower and being eaten by his pets category.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson