in case you were wondering

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Since the NBA-ABA merger, the all-time record for FGA attempts in a game without a miss is 14, shared by Gary Payton (1995) and Thomas Bryant (2018).

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
My friend texted me the boxscore with the caption: "When no one knows who you are, but you're being guarded by DeAndre Ayton."

There's no comeback for that.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Was it all Ayton or does anyone think it was the lack of any defensive adjustments from the fourth quarter on.

I had things going on during the game and missed the entire 3rd but it seemed like we were doing the same thing on defense over and over every time I looked at the tv and it wasn't working.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was it all Ayton or does anyone think it was the lack of any defensive adjustments from the fourth quarter on.

I had things going on during the game and missed the entire 3rd but it seemed like we were doing the same thing on defense over and over every time I looked at the tv and it wasn't working.

I definitely wasn't just Ayton because Bryant was crushing us after Ayton fouled out. It was failed defensive rotations and lack of good old fashion boxing out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely wasn't just Ayton because Bryant was crushing us after Ayton fouled out. It was failed defensive rotations and lack of good old fashion boxing out.

I think this is it. The Wizards were also running back door plays a lot.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ive come to the conclusion that I’m finished criticizing his rim protection as long as Booker/Crawford is the primary backcourt.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not Ayton's fault and I'm not sure it can be blamed on any one Suns player, or even two or three players, because the Suns have a knack for other teams scrubs to put up career games against them. I don't know how long it's been going on but it's probably been a decade or so. There are about a half dozen games a year where our opponent has a bench player starting for some reason or getting more minutes than usual and they end up going off for 30 or more points with an overall stat line like an All-Star. I know it happens to us a lot when we play the Blazers but they're not the only team that has a scrub who suddenly looks like an All-Star against the Suns. Thomas Bryant is just the latest to join the likes of Jake Layman and Pat Connaughton as well as many others.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And there is this.

He scored a career-high 26 points, tied a career high in boards with 18 and was dominant in the first overtime. Ayton scored seven points on 3-of-3 shooting, but he found himself floating in the middle of the Wizards' pick-and-roll game, which led to Thomas Bryant scoring 31 on a perfect 14-of-14 shooting.

Ayton has had issues with pick-and-roll coverage, but Phoenix didn’t help him nearly enough as Bryant got constant clear paths to the rim for dunks.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...rds-drop-triple-overtime-thriller/2400466002/

No matter who is at fault, this should have never happened.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I don't think i saw Bridges at all in the 4th or 3 OT.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'll need to rewatch the game on TV, but watching it in the arena, I blamed it on Ayton. He appears to want to "show" the pick and roll guard, but then doesn't recover. When he completely switched on Beal, I was fine with that, but he had quite a few possessions where he kind of ended up floating between the guard and the basket. I watched Holmes on pick and rolls, and he did that that. Scrub did score on him too, but it was a bit different on most plays. It's really hard to know who is to blame when I don't know what they were told to do. I'd love to get an actual coach to give me his take on those plays.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
pretty good article. Not using Ayton properly is a major issue.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
And there is this.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...rds-drop-triple-overtime-thriller/2400466002/

No matter who is at fault, this should have never happened.

Yes! That is EXACTLY what I saw. "Floating in the middle of the pick and roll" is exactly right.
As for others, since bryant is not a pick and pop threat, it should be simple to defend. Get in front of him around the free-throw line. If he tried to back you down, either double him, or let him back you down while the big man comes back to block the shot.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People who put someone having a career game on one Suns player have not been watching this team that past few years. The team has made obscure players having career days an art form in that time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes! That is EXACTLY what I saw. "Floating in the middle of the pick and roll" is exactly right.
As for others, since bryant is not a pick and pop threat, it should be simple to defend. Get in front of him around the free-throw line. If he tried to back you down, either double him, or let him back you down while the big man comes back to block the shot.

This is what drove me crazy that the Suns could not account for Bryant on defense.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
This is what drove me crazy that the Suns could not account for Bryant on defense.

Right, and without knowing what the plan was, it's impossible to tell who is to blame.

Another interesting option would have been to put the defensive unit in after the first OT. Break, then let them start the second OT, play for two minutes, call a time out, and you got Booker and Warren a few minutes of rest. It's risky, but I think it would have been interesting. Crawford is old, and he just didn't have anything going last night, Booker is coming back from an injury, as is Warren. You can't have them playing half of the fourth quarter and then three overtimes. Try Melton, Bridges, Jackson, Oubre, Holmes lineup and see what happens.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, and without knowing what the plan was, it's impossible to tell who is to blame.

Another interesting option would have been to put the defensive unit in after the first OT. Break, then let them start the second OT, play for two minutes, call a time out, and you got Booker and Warren a few minutes of rest. It's risky, but I think it would have been interesting. Crawford is old, and he just didn't have anything going last night, Booker is coming back from an injury, as is Warren. You can't have them playing half of the fourth quarter and then three overtimes. Try Melton, Bridges, Jackson, Oubre, Holmes lineup and see what happens.

It's an interesting idea. I think the problem centered upon the Suns inability to defend the pick and roll. It should have been an issue that the Suns could have corrected. It seemed Igor decided to finish the game with the players that got them there. I understand this philosophy but I also like having fresh legs out there.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score

Exactly what I was thinking at the time. Booker and Ayton looked gassed at the end of the fourth and worse at the end of the 1st OT

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'll need to rewatch the game on TV, but watching it in the arena, I blamed it on Ayton. He appears to want to "show" the pick and roll guard, but then doesn't recover. When he completely switched on Beal, I was fine with that, but he had quite a few possessions where he kind of ended up floating between the guard and the basket. I watched Holmes on pick and rolls, and he did that that. Scrub did score on him too, but it was a bit different on most plays. It's really hard to know who is to blame when I don't know what they were told to do. I'd love to get an actual coach to give me his take on those plays.
He was killing us with Holmes in the game as well. It had to be a combination of lack of coaching adjustments and poor recognition from the team as a whole. I’m guessing they never gameplanned Bryant and then didn’t make the proper adjustments in game.

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
Scratch that, it was only 31. 15 in the last quarter. In a playoff game at home no less

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think they didn’t want Beal to beat them so they let Bryant take the shots by showing a double and getting that ball out of Beals hands. The help defense didn’t rotate over early enough. They might have but Bryant just didn’t miss. Looked like Bryant was hyped up from the beginning. I’m surprised Bryant last the entire game, his legs are skinny for a guy that size.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA