In an Auction Draft, What is your Favorite Strategy? Here are mine!

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I have 3 different strategies, and use each most years. I like to keep track of which strategy works best from year to year. Most recently, strategy #1 has worked the best, however I enjoy and have used #3 the most. I seem to consistently leagues using any of the three.

1. I buy 3 of the very top players at RB, WR, and TE. That pretty much blows most of my $200 bankroll and limits me to filling in my team with the best $0-4 players left at the very end of the draft. Hopefully I have at least $20 to fill in my team at the end. FA becomes really important in this strategy.

2. I buy one of the top RBs in the $60 range, 2 of the mid-priced ($30 range) WRs I like the most, 1 of the 3 or 4 better TEs, and then another RB around the $20 range. My overall goal here is to have $40-50 left to fill in the rest of my team with $3-7 players. Leaving that much will usually allow me to outbid everyone else for any of the $3-7 players I like the most, giving me a plethora of possible starting players.

3. I wait until we get down to the $20-35 range before bidding and then fill my starting lineup with 6 of those mid-priced players. I hardly ever spend money on a top $ QB, when you can wait and get Brady and Rogers, or the like for $3 each*. I also try to get the top K and D each draft**.

*The only time I might spend up to $10 for a qb like Mahomes is if I end up with more money near the end than I expected to. One should never have $$ left over at the end of an auction draft. That is surely the worst thing to do. If and when I do buy a Mahomes or Allen, I will then only spend $1 on my back up QB, like Cousins or Carr.

**Where I always go against the experts advice the most is in getting the top one or two Ds and top K each draft, no matter if it's a snake or auction. I have simply lost too many games over the years by less than a point, when a better D or K would have won it for me. I have lost by as little as .02 of a point, so I have come to value my D and K more than they tell you to. Losing a couple games like that can sometimes cost you a playoff berth, if not a championship.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I haven't used Strategy #1 yet this season, but will this afternoon for my final league. That will be 4 I have done this year. I usually only do two, 1 snake and 1 auction. Got carried away this year after screwing up my first draft due to being tired, drifting off, and making 2 clutz mistakes.

One was not noticing Najee Harris sold for $12 under value. And then even worse, duh. Thought they were bidding on Cook, and jumped in at $24, and ended up buying Cooks instead.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA