I'm going to sing Eno Benjamin's praises today.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'd offer him 5 mill for a season, sure. Just realize he won't play the whole season and have someone else to team him up with in a tandem backfield. I'm not at all sure that should be Edmonds, though. He looked great while he was in there, but that's the key. He's missed too much time. We can't afford to have 2 injury-prone RBs as the top 2 options.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually he had a 59 yd run with the Steelers and a 45 yd pass reception this year.
Would you compare him to Chubb, Ekeler, Jones, Kamara and such? I’m not knocking Conner at all. I love the guy.
I wanted us to pick up a 3rd back before the season began. I believe you need 3 solid backs to make it through the season. When either Conner or Edmonds got hurt we turned into a 1 back team. It appeared we did not trust Ward or Eno. Why? Lack of experience? Lack of talent?

Funny you would mention he had one 59 yard run with the Steelers. I mean Drake had an 80 yard run with us.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you compare him to Chubb, Ekeler, Jones, Kamara and such? I’m not knocking Conner at all. I love the guy.
I wanted us to pick up a 3rd back before the season began. I believe you need 3 solid backs to make it through the season. When either Conner or Edmonds got hurt we turned into a 1 back team. It appeared we did not trust Ward or Eno. Why? Lack of experience? Lack of talent?

Funny you would mention he had one 59 yard run with the Steelers. I mean Drake had an 80 yard run with us.
Nobody is, or trying to put him in the same compensation range.

He also brought up the long run because it was said that Conner couldn't provide that.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd offer him 5 mill for a season, sure. Just realize he won't play the whole season and have someone else to team him up with in a tandem backfield. I'm not at all sure that should be Edmonds, though. He looked great while he was in there, but that's the key. He's missed too much time. We can't afford to have 2 injury-prone RBs as the top 2 options.
As I replied to Harry’s post I believed you need 3 solid backs to get through a season. Just. Don’t understand why Eno didn’t get some opportunities during the season if for no other reason to get him some experience IF we needed him.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Chase isn’t here next year we need a better back up than Eno. He’s a great guy to have in spot duty if your big guns are out.
How do we know??? The kid never really got a chance. I do remember his angry run when he bowled over a db for a td run.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You might have 1 top shelf RB playing a full 17 game season for more than 1 season. You shouldn’t expect so otherwise.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody is, or trying to put him in the same compensation range.

He also brought up the long run because it was said that Conner couldn't provide that.
It was one run 2 years ago. Most posters here love Conner but there is no way he gets 8 m a year.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
$8M for a season?!? For 3.7 yards per carry? That makes him the 9th highest paid rb in the league. Ahead of ekeler, hunt, Carson, saquon.
I feel like Kliff goosed up his value a bit. Some of those short yardage Td runs could have went to Chase earlier in the year imo.

Jaguars
4 yard td run
1 yard td run

Rams
1 yard td run
1 yard td run

49ers
1 yard td run (Previous play we thought Rondale scored)

Packers
2 yard td run

49ers
1 yard td run

Seahawks
1 yard td run

Rams
1 yard td run (tbf he ran through Donald so he gets bonus for that)

Seahawks
1 yard td run
Love Conner because the way we've been struggling with TDs lately he's been a blessing.

However, he really benefits from the fact we dont play under center as much as other teams on the goaline. On other teams some of these plays would have been play action passes to open guys for tds.

Want him to return, but I cant pay 8 mill for him. If so then we really should have just drafted Najee Harris over Collins in order to keep all of the rbs for the cheap.
Actually he had a 59 yd run with the Steelers and a 45 yd pass reception this year.
I dont think its a coincidence that Conner hasnt had a game running the ball as well since that one though. He was really fresh and was splitting carries with Chase before that.

3.4 YPC since then. Helped out by the 3rd and 18 run he got hurt on.

He needs Chase. Chase needs him.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I feel like Kliff goosed up his value a bit. Some of those short yardage Td runs could have went to Chase earlier in the year imo.

Jaguars
4 yard td run
1 yard td run

Rams
1 yard td run
1 yard td run

49ers

Packers
2 yard td run

49ers
1 yard td run

Seahawks
1 yard td run

Rams

Seahawks
1 yard td run
Love Conner because the way we've been struggling with TDs lately he's been a blessing.

However, he really benefits from the fact we dont play under center as much as other teams on the goaline. On other teams some of these plays would have been play action passes to open guys for tds.

Want him to return, but I cant pay 8 mill for him. If so then we really should have just drafted Najee Harris over Collins in order to keep all of the rbs for the cheap.

I dont think its a coincidence that Conner hasnt had a game running the ball as well since that one though. He was really fresh and was splitting carries with Chase before that.

You think his average has been that impacted by 9 outta 202 carries? Let’s see:

202 carries for 752 yards = 3.72 yards per carry

193 carries for 743 yards = 3.84 yards per carry

No one is paying a premium if we removed those 9 runs and his ypc increased 0.12.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jaguars
4 yard td run
1 yard td run

Rams
1 yard td run
1 yard td run

49ers

Packers
2 yard td run

49ers
1 yard td run

Seahawks
1 yard td run

Rams

Seahawks
1 yard td run

Been saying this all season people have soured some on Kyler in the redzone but it's really because of Conner, and then losing D Hop. Kyler had 11 rushing TD's last year, 5 this year, the difference is James Conner. And that's not a complaint it lowers the risk of Kyler getting lit up or hit late on a rushing TD just give the ball to Conner instead. But the reason his total td's went from 37 to 29 is mainly conner and then losing Hop which has cost us several TD's this year.

What kyler needed to figure out is how to take advantage of how good Conner is to get play action TD passes but that requires us being under Center more.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No one is paying a premium if we removed those 9 runs and his ypc increased 0.12.

I think he means the extra TD's increased the salary he'll get

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I love Conner's toughness running the ball. I also think his pass catching ability has been a pleasant surprise. I didn't follow him a lot on the Steelers, but I don't remember that as being a big part of his fame.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

All it takes is one bad GM to get caught up with the TDs.

BigCardsFan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Conner is the perfect situational Rb you can win a Sb with.

Always comes up good in the clutch like Legarette Blount.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Been saying this all season people have soured some on Kyler in the redzone but it's really because of Conner, and then losing D Hop. Kyler had 11 rushing TD's last year, 5 this year, the difference is James Conner. And that's not a complaint it lowers the risk of Kyler getting lit up or hit late on a rushing TD just give the ball to Conner instead. But the reason his total td's went from 37 to 29 is mainly conner and then losing Hop which has cost us several TD's this year.

What kyler needed to figure out is how to take advantage of how good Conner is to get play action TD passes but that requires us being under Center more.
And in fairness to Kliff I think a couple of Kyler's tds have come from under center.

Titans, Jags, Cowboys (pass)

We just dont do it enough. And I get it cause Conner has been dominant as used though.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it would be a mistake if give more carries to like anything less than(I’m estimating) 85% Conner than Eno. He’s way more shifter than Conner while being physical like him as well. I’m just really worried about how would he hold up pass-blocking.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was my thinking as well. Eno is a violent runner. Does he have conner’s power? No. But he’s closer to conners power than he is to chase’s skill set.
There was a play in the 4th where Eno caught a Checkdown & made a defender(#23) miss cause he’s so shifty & has the juke-ability to his game that Conner doesn’t. He got an 11 yard gain on what should have been a 4 yard gain(maybe Conner runs over the guy & breaks the tackle), but that really stood out to me.

Probably with the exception of playing in freezing temps, I would be WAY more worried having to replace Chase than Conner if there was a choice.

OP
OP
phillycard

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think it would be a mistake if give more carries to like anything less than(I’m estimating) 85% Conner than Eno. He’s way more shifter than Conner while being physical like him as well. I’m just really worried about how would he hold up pass-blocking.
Agreed. The fresh legs thing applies here. He had crazy pop in the 4th quarter on Sunday. That's what prompted this post TBH.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Love what I see from Eno but Chase, IMO, has to be re signed.

1. He gets us out of a ton of 3rd downs with his ability to find space for Kyler to hit him. And he's slippery when he gets the catches.
2. I think he and Kyler are bro's. Like video game bro's. Him, K1, & CKirk.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think so. Chase is almost incapable of getting a single yard up the gut against a defense that expects a run. Remember last year when 3rd and 1 meant we were punting? Chase can turn on the jets and make people miss, Conner is violent and can move the pile. I think most of those TDs Conner got would have been field goals with Chase.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave