If you want to address personnel you start...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
with the WRs. Outside of Fitz we have basically no experience at the position. McCoy's offense is problematic but when you have WRs who cannot break the jam and are one route and done telegraphing their routes with no separation, you are not going to win many third downs. I am not saying Dez, but you better get some vets who are at least competent. All teams have a few learning, like Kirk because he's a rookie, but this group is loaded with projects. Should have been addressed before the season because there is not much out there now but just getting a guy which knows what the hell they are doing and what to expect would do wonders and the guy, or rather guys, do not have to be play makers... 'just a guy' is better than a three and out

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Clear off season failure was the lack of veteran WR help:

WR outside of Fitz was a clear problem last year, and the best the team did was a guy who didn't make the team.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes WR is the #1 issue. I was stunned when they went with this group and was hoping that they knew something we didn't. Chad Williams is a practice squad WR at best and he is STARTING. That is a problem.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Whatever happened to Jordan Matthews?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dudes, Kirk was getting open and Sam wasn't finding him. From what I could tell from just the TV broadcast our OC cannot get the ball to our weapons, and we have to make some major changes or else we sacrifice a season only 2 weeks in.

Pathetic.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is wrong. It starts with scheme and then goes to QB. After those issues are solved, then it goes to the offensive line and after that the skill position players. It is not feasible to out talent your opposition at every spot on the field. That is why scheme is important. You have to be able to create mismatches and create space. From there you need a QB who can execute that scheme. The better then QB, the better the execution. After that, you have to give your QB time enough to execute. It doesn't mean you have to have pro bowlers across the entire line, but you need to be able to create time for your QB. After those things are set, then you find the weapons to create those mismatches and ultimately get 1 guy or 2 who can just beat any guy across from him. That is the progression of building a quality offense in the NFL.

Philly...yes.
New Orleans...yes.
LA Rams...yes.
The Falcons with Ryan and Shannahan.
Colts with Manning...yes.
Pats with Brady...yes.

Hell, look at the Jags with Bortles. You have a scheme and a guy. When you add pieces to the line to give the QB time, he can make Keelan Cole work at the NFL level. But without the scheme and a guy and a line, Keelan Cole is just a guy.

We are broken in the scheme and QB level. Our scheme is unimaginative and predictable and our QB is limited and scared. Until those get fixed, the rest doesn't matter.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dudes, Kirk was getting open and Sam wasn't finding him. From what I could tell from just the TV broadcast our OC cannot get the ball to our weapons, and we have to make some major changes or else we sacrifice a season only 2 weeks in.

Pathetic.

But all the players swear that Bradford is throwing laser accurate bombs in practice. :| :rolleyes:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Pathetic.
Yep.

I think the WR corps isn’t as bad as the play of the QB & the play calller, those are the real bad issues.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Josh Gordon Dez and start Rosen!

Assuming Gordon didn't get the axe because he was drunk and/or high, you can talk me into him.

I'm not touching Dez with a 10 foot poll. Cancerous and simply hasn't been a productive player for several years. He runs bad routes, he doesn't get separation and his hands suck.

I wouldn't want to stick a rookie with a receiver who's going to scream at them every time they think they should have gotten the ball and when they do have a pass thrown to them have a 30% chance of it bouncing off their facemask.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
with the WRs. Outside of Fitz we have basically no experience at the position. McCoy's offense is problematic but when you have WRs who cannot break the jam and are one route and done telegraphing their routes with no separation, you are not going to win many third downs. I am not saying Dez, but you better get some vets who are at least competent. All teams have a few learning, like Kirk because he's a rookie, but this group is loaded with projects. Should have been addressed before the season because there is not much out there now but just getting a guy which knows what the hell they are doing and what to expect would do wonders and the guy, or rather guys, do not have to be play makers... 'just a guy' is better than a three and out

Outside of Fitz the rest make Jaron Brown look like the second coming of Jerry Rice.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To my knowledge he's still a FA. Did you ever think a day would come when old Skillet hands was looking good.
Yeah, he at least could make a play sometimes. But I do think this is more McCoy and captain check down than the receivers.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Outside of Fitz the rest make Jaron Brown look like the second coming of Jerry Rice.
We changed offensive scheme but didn't bring in the right receivers to execute the plays.

Change the plays and/or change the players (preferably both).

And put PP21 back in man coverage. He may be more effective playing zone, but his overall benefit to the defense overall is awful when you consider how badly Cooks torched us.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Yeah, he at least could make a play sometimes. But I do think this is more McCoy and captain check down than the receivers.

Just listen to Wilks after game press conference and I am dismayed at what he said. All personnel will be evaluated but coaches seemingly are not going to get any evaluation. Still looking at running early and then completing pass on third down. It doesn't sound as if we are going to see any changes in how they approach the game plan. He talked about receivers not getting the job done and Bradford running for his life and the line needs to run block better. Said the defense needs to get off the field after third downs by stopping the other team. My summation is we will see a similar showing this Sunday against the Bears.

Looking at the schedule I don't honestly see a possible win at this point outside of the Lions. I see at least 7 more games like yesterday where the team will be lucky to even put points on the board if they continue to play at their present level. I wonder what the record is for being shutout in one season?

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we fail, I want to fail miserably and sweep the GM and coaching staff at the end of the seasson - I don't want mediocrity with a 4-12 record based on bad coaching, because our roster is an 8-8 roster.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One play that stands out in particular was a 3rd down pass (I think it was 3rd) where Fitz and Kirk almost collided. That tells me they aren't running correct routes. Chad Williams has zero catches this year. Not one. Maybe, just maybe, Bradford is checking down because he sees that there is nothing else there. In order for an NFL offense to work, you need correct timing and guys to separate from the DBs and that is not happening. This really falls squarely on the GM and was a concern of mine coming into the year,. MCown would have cost half what Bradford did and maybe they would have had the extra money to get a WR or two. This is going to be a long year. You can fire McCoy, start Rosen, and it won't matter if Chad Williams is starting.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One play that stands out in particular was a 3rd down pass (I think it was 3rd) where Fitz and Kirk almost collided. That tells me they aren't running correct routes. Chad Williams has zero catches this year. Not one. Maybe, just maybe, Bradford is checking down because he sees that there is nothing else there. In order for an NFL offense to work, you need correct timing and guys to separate from the DBs and that is not happening. This really falls squarely on the GM and was a concern of mine coming into the year,. MCown would have cost half what Bradford did and maybe they would have had the extra money to get a WR or two. This is going to be a long year. You can fire McCoy, start Rosen, and it won't matter if Chad Williams is starting.
Preseason, but in the limited time they played, Rosen made Chad Williams work.

Bradford is just that pathetic.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose