Idea: Cards trade Murray for draft picks and then trade for Baker Mayfield.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
But on topic?

No.

Kyler is our guy for better or worse for the next few seasons.

The kid has more raw talent than maybe any QB in the NFL.
You don't give up on that at the first sign of failure. Not over maturity issues in a kid...yeah, a kid.... if he's 30 and having the same issues then we have a problem.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
But on topic?

No.

You don't give up on that at the first sign of failure. Not over maturity issues in a kid...yeah, a kid.... if he's 30 and having the same issues then we have a problem.
Ain't no way I want to put up with the shenanigans he's shown for 6 more years. No way, no how. That would be a significant problem WELL before age 30! Those maturity issues had better evaporate over THIS offseason.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So go from a mentally weak, physically soft mediocre QB to Baker Mayfield. Yikes
Lol and doesnt baker have yes a hot wife but shes demandin in his carrer thought heard that bef lol

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There's not much market left for QB's IMO. I know Kyler is much better but Florio is saying that teh 49ers are telling teams that they have an offer of 2 second round picks for Jimmy G, and it sounds like nobody is sure they believe the 49ers actually have an offer that good. With Ryan traded it's now basically Seattle, Carolina and the Saints looking for QB's. Cards wouldn't trade Kyler within the division and if they did they'd have to get Metcalf which Seattle wouldn't do if they're getting Kyler. So Carolina or Saints. Carolina can off Sam Darnold and some picks not enough. Saints don't have enough.

So then it's really Philly and if they're not bidding against anybody else I can't imagine them giving up 3 first round picks and more to get Kyler.

I guess we'll never know we're not trading him
Saints resigned Winston so they are out.. Seattle in our division like you said so nope..

Carolina and Philly really only teams that need a QB. Other options would be teams looking to upgrade; ATL, Minnesota type trade deals.

ATL no QB to offer in return. Minnesota would be interesting.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Ain't no way I want to put up with the shenanigans he's shown for 6 more years. No way, no how. That would be a significant problem WELL before age 30! Those maturity issues had better evaporate over THIS offseason.
"Shenanigans " go away with a contract.
Maturity comes with time and adversity.
How much time is an issue. But expecting a spoiled 24 year old kid to mature into a quality leader in a single off season is a pipe dream. We have to look for incremental growth.
Win a clinching game, preferably with 1 int or less.
Gut out a bad loss while continuing to motivate your guys to not give up.
Those are things we can see...
Attitude shifts, personal development...those are things the team can see.
As long as he is progressing, we will stick with him. He's too dynamic to give up on if there's hope he can be salvaged.

If he fails there will be the inevitable " I can't believe they stuck with this loser for 7 years! Fire everybody! I knew in his second season he was garbage!" Type posts.
But he is an investment. They will have some patience and not sell while the stock is plummeting in hopes it recovers.

The best thing to do now is continuing to build around him while nudging him in the right direction.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
But on topic?

No.

I would put money on Kyler continuing to be the exact same person he has shown to be so far...and retiring before 30.

He will cash in on a 5 year deal with as much money guaranteed as possible...continue to play just not to get hurt...and retire at 30 with 250 million in the bank.

Can we please just trade him to Philly. Let them win 2 division titles in 5 years and pay him to be a video game celeb.

Stout

Reaction score
"Shenanigans " go away with a contract.
Maturity comes with time and adversity.
How much time is an issue. But expecting a spoiled 24 year old kid to mature into a quality leader in a single off season is a pipe dream. We have to look for incremental growth.
Win a clinching game, preferably with 1 int or less.
Gut out a bad loss while continuing to motivate your guys to not give up.
Those are things we can see...
Attitude shifts, personal development...those are things the team can see.
As long as he is progressing, we will stick with him. He's too dynamic to give up on if there's hope he can be salvaged.

If he fails there will be the inevitable " I can't believe they stuck with this loser for 7 years! Fire everybody! I knew in his second season he was garbage!" Type posts.
But he is an investment. They will have some patience and not sell while the stock is plummeting in hopes it recovers.

The best thing to do now is continuing to build around him while nudging him in the right direction.
His shenanigans aren't limited to the IG stuff. It includes on-field and sideline stuff.

I'm not expecting him to mature in a single offseason. He has had THREE YEARS to mature into an NFL QB. He has shown exactly zero qualities that lead me to believe he has changed his approach to the game in that time. Now, the time has run out. Time to get it or get out of town.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
His shenanigans aren't limited to the IG stuff. It includes on-field and sideline stuff.

I'm not expecting him to mature in a single offseason. He has had THREE YEARS to mature into an NFL QB. He has shown exactly zero qualities that lead me to believe he has changed his approach to the game in that time. Now, the time has run out. Time to get it or get out of town.
None of that stuff matters until it affects him.
The kid embarrassed himself in the playoffs.
You think he didn't hear about that at the pro bowl?
Probably light natured jabs at this point I'm sure. But no competitor wants to be a joke to his peers.
Those jabs won't be as light natured as time goes on if he doesn't prove himself.

Dynomite

Veteran
Reaction score
This fan base is suffering from mass psychosis. I don’t even know what to say. Worse than browns fans.

Stout

Reaction score
None of that stuff matters until it affects him.
The kid embarrassed himself in the playoffs.
You think he didn't hear about that at the pro bowl?
Probably light natured jabs at this point I'm sure. But no competitor wants to be a joke to his peers.
Those jabs won't be as light natured as time goes on if he doesn't prove himself.
It has affected him and the team in significant ways.

I HOPE he got dogpiled and jeered at the pro bowl, and it hurt in a way that drives him to be better. Sadly, I think he thinks he's doing all he needs to do already.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My scariest nightmare centers around our trading away a game-breaker for a bunch of meh players.

Failing to develop a high-potential superstar is always a risk. But drafting clear talent only to give in to impatience and letting that talent escape - relegates the team to an endless cycle of hype, hope and mediocrity..

(Badger, Calais - & Kyler? - we hardly knew ya).

Last edited:

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The dye is pretty much set that Kyler will be here this upcoming year and, in all probability, signed to a long extension keeping him here for the next 3-5 years at least. I'm not optimistic that it will be much different than the last 2 seasons in that time frame. He will be a sprained ankle, pulled hamstring, some other owee that will hinder him or keep him out of some games. He certainly hasn't shown a lot of toughness so far IMO.

If I'm wrong and Kyler is hoisting the SB trophy in the next couple of years I'll be the first one admitting I was wrong. Would love to be doing that but I'm not to worried about that happening.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mayfield has all of Kyler's warts and about half of Kyler's talent... and he is going to be expecting a massive contract.

Hell no.

I'd rather run McCoy out there.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mayfield has all of Kyler's warts and about half of Kyler's talent... and he is going to be expecting a massive contract.

Hell no.

No one wants Mayfield. Last leg Matt Ryan and retreads Mariota and Winston were signed ahead of him. Trading for Baker would have been cheaper than any of these moves.. think about that

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I can't see it ever happening mainly because owner and GM would be admitting they screwed the pooch once again at the QB position.

But hell yes, I think this is the only year we could get a ton of picks for him. It is the perfect year for it. After that, his value will go down as he shows more and more what his upside really is (or isn't). He has a good image still in the eyes of the league, but I don't expect that to last too long. I would love to get what we could for him now: Sell high and buy low. I was probably alone in thinking we should have traded LF when he approached his max value and downhill period while when we could have gotten a huge return for him. I always like that approach, especially when players are costing you so much and keeping your options so few in regards to the cap.

I would prefer to build a solid team like the Colts with a bunch of R1 picks, and get a QB that has a proven ability to manage games safely. Let skill players win the game for you. Don't rely on your QB to be super human to do that.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Hell no.

Baker is one of the more tough and driven QB’s in the league he’s just a weirdo and marginally talented.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one wants Mayfield. Last leg Matt Ryan and retreads Mariota and Winston were signed ahead of him. Trading for Baker would have been cheaper than any of these moves.. think about that
If the plan for the Cards is to field a team while saving as much money as possible...then sure, go that route.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah trade the best young QB the franchise has ever had for a loser, good idea. Why don’t you just tell all your fans to **** off we don’t want to win and see how that helps ticket sales and such. Guy is a kid and needs to mature but you don’t just trade away franchise QBs before their prime that’s idiotic, so you probably can’t rule it out with Keim in charge geesh.