ICYMI Damion Lee signs with the Phoenix Suns

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was a bit rough to watch in the playoffs. I just don’t see Monty playing him.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He was a bit rough to watch in the playoffs. I just don’t see Monty playing him.
Somebody has to hold down the end of the bench.
I'm all for letting him have ALL of the Shamet mins.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I always find me screaming at the TV during the Suns games on offense, "Someone cut or move, PLEASE!" At least hopefully he will offer some movement on offense. LOL!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is something on Damian Lee's shooting.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Reaction score
Dunno what to think of this player. Curry touts him, but how do I know he's not simply being a homer? I thought I saw someone else here suggest Lee was washed up or overrated or something, and that gave me something to wonder. And one has to ask the obvious question: if Lee is the player Curry claims he is, why did the Warriors let him go? ...Ehh, they're always paying the luxury tax, so perhaps they just wanted to cut costs.

All I can figure out is the obvious: the Suns feel the same way everyone else here does about their bench backcourt--not particularly happy. Because they give the impression this summer of loading up on affordable guards and swingmen--Lee and Josh Okogie. They have to be as happy as ever with Devin Booker, and if Chris Paul weren't so old they should be entirely pleased with him. But the guys backing Booker and Paul up? ...nope. I think they're obviously trying to find a backup shooting guard who will do a better job than Landry Shamet. But backup point guard...it's not clear whether they agree that Cameron Payne stunk and needs to be demoted. (Yes, I want him not replaced, just shoved down the depth chart.)

Yeah...I'd be suspicious of anything Curry says about him, Curry being his brother-in-law.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dunno what to think of this player. Curry touts him, but how do I know he's not simply being a homer? I thought I saw someone else here suggest Lee was washed up or overrated or something, and that gave me something to wonder. And one has to ask the obvious question: if Lee is the player Curry claims he is, why did the Warriors let him go? ...Ehh, they're always paying the luxury tax, so perhaps they just wanted to cut costs.

All I can figure out is the obvious: the Suns feel the same way everyone else here does about their bench backcourt--not particularly happy. Because they give the impression this summer of loading up on affordable guards and swingmen--Lee and Josh Okogie. They have to be as happy as ever with Devin Booker, and if Chris Paul weren't so old they should be entirely pleased with him. But the guys backing Booker and Paul up? ...nope. I think they're obviously trying to find a backup shooting guard who will do a better job than Landry Shamet. But backup point guard...it's not clear whether they agree that Cameron Payne stunk and needs to be demoted. (Yes, I want him not replaced, just shoved down the depth chart.)

Yeah...I'd be suspicious of anything Curry says about him, Curry being his brother-in-law.
Definitely homerism. You are talking about a guy who GS started reducing his minutes (3 years ago from 30 MPG to 20 MPG) the past two seasons because he wasn't spacing the floor or playing very good defense. This last season his 3 point shooting plummeted to 33%. He doesn't do anything particularly well and likely a roster filler. I mean how many minutes is he really going to get behind Book?

Reaction score
Definitely homerism. You are talking about a guy who GS started reducing his minutes (3 years ago from 30 MPG to 20 MPG) the past two seasons because he wasn't spacing the floor or playing very good defense. This last season his 3 point shooting plummeted to 33%. He doesn't do anything particularly well and likely a roster filler. I mean how many minutes is he really going to get behind Book?
That's what I was afraid of: this is a case of the Suns grabbing the champion's throwaways because they couldn't clearly find anyone better. Well, he might still play better than Landry Shamet.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Are we getting in the Curry sweepstakes? Maybe Curry will want to be reunited with his Brother In Law? LMAO. Then we can waste another off season with Curry watch....

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of: this is a case of the Suns grabbing the champion's throwaways because they couldn't clearly find anyone better. Well, he might still play better than Landry Shamet.
We signed him for the minimum, what the heck are you expecting?

No he's not that great, I thought everyone was aware of that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Landry was fine towards the end of the season. Lee isn't going to make much of a dent, but maybe he'll surprise. He'll either be what we think he is, a guy who barely plays, or he'll exceed expectations. His contract makes him a no-risk acquisition. If he plays badly, well, he's a minimum guy and not a big deal. But if he plays well...

Reaction score
I wasn't expecting anything; and yes, since I followed the signing and read the initial comme nts, I understood that this was nothing to write home about.

Well, I suppose it could be all about the deep playoff experience that they signed Lee. If he rides the bench as a glorified assistant coach and occasional relief in garbage time, fine.

I find commenters' description of Josh Okogie more intriguing.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an uneasy feeling that despite Okogie being not known to have point guard skills, the team might want him to play backup point guard because of his height. Mike D'Antoni did this unsuccessfully with Marcus Banks. Well, Okogie can't be much worse at it than Cameron Payne.

If this was what the Suns were up to, it would explain a few things: why they just let Aaron Holiday go; and why they haven't shown any urgency in finding a backup point guard. If they think they have one in Okogie.

This is almost as bad as calling Ish Wainwright a SG. No, Josh Okogie is NOT a PG and there is zero indication that Monty will use him as one. He averages 1.1 assist per game. He's not a playmaker or a ball handler.

The suggestion he couldn't be worse at PG than Payne is also hilariously laughable. I know people got down on Payne last season but he's an adequate backup PG. He had trouble replicating the season he had 2 years back but that doesn't make him bottom of the barrel. He's still a good ball handler and a decent playmaker off the bench. It was primarily his outside shot that fell off, which is fixable, especially with McGee gone so there isn't someone on the second unit clogging the lane as often.

Please stop making assumptions on players positions. It's clear you don't watch the games, which you've admitted to as well. Since you don't watch you really can't judge what position people are playing outside of what sites list them as and in the case of Okogie he's listed as a SG almost everywhere and Wainwright is listed as either a F or a PF.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I have an uneasy feeling that despite Okogie being not known to have point guard skills, the team might want him to play backup point guard because of his height. Mike D'Antoni did this unsuccessfully with Marcus Banks. Well, Okogie can't be much worse at it than Cameron Payne.

If this was what the Suns were up to, it would explain a few things: why they just let Aaron Holiday go; and why they haven't shown any urgency in finding a backup point guard. If they think they have one in Okogie.

Sources say that Okogie could shoot fairly well in college. I guess that merely indicates the world of difference between the NCAA and NBA.

About Lee. I already understood that Lee is just another body, but here's more evidence: Eddie Johnson is saying complimentary (if even-handed) things only about Okogie. He's silent on Lee, to my knowledge. Yeah, it must be only for the championship experience that Lee was signed. Well, that's something.
Bud, I get that you’re newly reengaged with the suns and the nba in general. But some of the stuff you post is so out in left field that it’s kinda not worth a response. Maybe take another season, re-familiarize yourself with players, and then dice in with the conjecture. I’m not saying don’t post. By all means, in the meantime, comment on what’s happening, ask questions, etc. But the hypotheses based on admittedly no-to-little knowledge are just clunky. That said, we all post something now and again that is somewhat outlandish or inaccurate, so take my comments for what they’re worth. Them and a dollar fifty will get you a hot coffee.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I absolutely missed this and absolutely love it.

Although a transfer to end it, still very much a dragon and was really well liked in that community.

Always wishing him the best

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lee didn't do much in the Warriors game but i loved how he had an edge and didn't back down to them.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose