IARP Punishments

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
-$5k fine
-seven-week communication ban for recruiting in academic year 22-23
-scholarship reduction for 23-24
-vacated wins from 16-17 and 17-18 (for Rawle and Pinder playing)
-Book Richardson 10-year show-cause
-Mark Phelps 2-year show-cause

Sean Miller is not punished

Finally. Time to move on

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The good thing there is the report says IARP intentionally did NOT want to punish current student athletes. The problem with NCAA investigations has always been how long they take and this was insanely long so the concern was always kids who were in middle school when Alkins was there were going to suffer for his violations.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I always chuckled at those who thought they'd throw the book at us. Punishment is exactly what I thought it would be once we took the one-year postseason ban.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Loss to Buffalo vacated! Never happened.
Lol. Silver linings.

Good to see relatively minimal severity. Admit I anticipated much worse. I think the ncaa has been rapidly declining in terms of authority over the years. NIL eliminates a lot of their focus/hammer.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. Silver linings.

Good to see relatively minimal severity. Admit I anticipated much worse. I think the ncaa has been rapidly declining in terms of authority over the years. NIL eliminates a lot of their focus/hammer.

The reality is most of the stuff that happened is no longer against NCAA rules and ARizona took a big hit back in the day from self punishment so it just at this point wouldn't make sense to punish the current kids.

I am surprised Miller got off completely because if you read the IARP report they said they are not finding Miller guilty of failure to monitor, and yet they DID find the school guilty of failing to monitor. It seems odd to say the school didn't monitor his program but he did. But I guess they're saying it was Book and Phelps and Miller had no clear reason to assume they were breaking rules.

It does again point out Schlabach needs to admit he was wrong.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Sean Miller kept copious notes of all of his recruiting ventures. That's what got him off clean.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Sean Miller kept copious notes of all of his recruiting ventures. That's what got him off clean.
Whether Miller knew everything or not he was smart enough to not get directly implicated. He deserved to lose his job for not running a tighter ship. You can’t have three different assistants committing violations whether minuscule or severe.

Crazy that 5 years later everything pretty much worked itself out. Arizona made it out alive and got a great coach while Miller landed on his feet.

Biggest loser is the FBI and ESPN.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just to be clear I don't mean I expected him to get named directly in recruiting violations. I mean it's odd that they ruled he did not fail to monitor the program, but said the school did fail to monitor the program that he was in charge of. I don't see practically how you can say the coach can't be faulted for not knowing what Book and Phelps were doing, but the school CAN be faulted for it since clearly Miller was closer to the situation than the school was.

But I am glad they're not punishing the current kids that's always been the issue with NCAA sanctions they take too long and punish kids who weren't involved.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose