I was accused of animal cruelty yesterday

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by SissyBoyFloyd, Apr 22, 2021.

1. SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd Pawnee, Skidi Clan

I have a mini-dachshund who, like all dogs, hates to be left at home alone. I take her everywhere with me unless its somewhere she cant go inside with me and/or its summer and too hot to leave her in the car. My dog, seems to like being in the sun. She goes out and lays in sun at 1 or 2 in afternoon each day and stays until I call her back inside.

So, we went to park yesterday about 4 pm and like usual she walks around in the sun rather than stay with me under one of the many big shade trees. It was 90 degrees yesterday, pretty much a lovely spring day in Arizona. Afterwards we got back in my convertible with top down and headed to Costco.

They wont let dogs in costco any longer so I parked with my rear end facing the sun as it got lower in the sky. windows were all down as was top, which I even raised halfway so as to shade the whole inside of car including the black plastic dash. And car was open with a slight breeze blowing.

Went inside Costco for about 15 minutes tops and when I came out there were 3 or 4 people around my car. I noticed that someone had pushed my electric top down to where car was all open with no shade. People were all upset with me leaving my dog in the car, taking turns preaching to me to say the least.

I could not get a word in, and was amazed that anyone was making a big deal about it. I wondered if any of these people ever even had a dog themselves.

What do you guys think? To me, its a dang dog. They for 100000 years are outdoor animals. Dogs do fine outside as long as there is shade if they need it. And its not like it was summer and 115 degrees out. And what is with forcing my electric top down in back? And writing a shameful message on my front window in lipstick. I guess they thought they were doing a good deed, but only traumatized my dog who is fearful of strangers coming near her.

Am I off base here or were they just nuts? Maybe I should have called the police on the old bags for defacing my car.

2. Hollywood

Hollywood is part black.

Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Why would they push the top down and get rid of the shade?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

upload_2021-4-22_7-27-31.png

4. Brian in Mesa

That only makes sense if they then freed the dog and took him inside the store, or inside a car with the A/C running, or provided him with some water. To just take the shade away makes zero sense, although 90 in an open vehicle is likely cooler than 90+ in an enclosed vehicle...

5. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

yeah...that calculator has nothing to do with an open vehicle. My dogs sit outside all the time in this weather. sitting in an open vehicle is no big deal.

6. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

It's a tough situation from all perspectives.

Empathy for you would be appropriate, but from their perspective they have no idea what you are doing inside or how long you have been there.

In this world..... where the optics of the situation matter just as much, if not more, than the actual situation...... People feel obligated to dive in to anyone's business at any time.

jf-08 likes this.
  7. DemsMyBoys

DemsMyBoys Registered

Calling women “old bags” isn’t helping your cause.

Jersey Girl likes this.
  8. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I don't see the animal cruelty issue in a convertible with the top partially down and the windows open at that temperature.

9. Brian in Mesa

According to the Good Samaritan law - specifically for children or pets left alone in hot cars - in Arizona, you are to notify the authorities (police) before attempting to open the vehicle, break a window, etc.