I want a...

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kenyon Green or Zion Johnson. Would love.

If by some miracle Jermaine Johnson is at 23, would love.

Wilson-Burks-Olave-Williams, would like.

Would hate anything else, especially a CB or Jordan Davis.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I watched a video of a Georgia defensive coach explaining how massively important Jordan Davis was to the success of their defense. He showed examples of Georgia lineman and linebackers running free to the ball carrier due to Davis just destroying the center and guard.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched a video of a Georgia defensive coach explaining how massively important Jordan Davis was to the success of their defense. He showed examples of Georgia lineman and linebackers running free to the ball carrier due to Davis just destroying the center and guard.

I can't find it for the final season but after like 8 games the stats with him on and off the field for yards per play were pretty impressive too. Some of it obviously he played run downs so if teams ran on a passing down they were more likely to run for more yards. But it didn't matter even on first and second down him on the field they were dramatically better with him than not.

This is from end of Oct. And while some will say see he's off the field more than he's on, that's misleading it's because Georgia was winning those games in blowouts. They had 1 game that wasn't double digits during this time period and this includes a 56-7, 62-0 and 37-0 wins where Davis sat large parts of the game because it was a blowout. In other words the plays off the field were more due to the score than him not playing much on 3rd down.

The QB contact stat is probably the biggest surprise but again teams weren't stupid they knew it was probably better to throw than run when he was on the field. He only had 1.5 sacks during that time but the team got to the QB more, even on "running downs" because he was on the field occupying 2 guys.

Davis On Field
Davis Off Field
Snaps155253
Yards/Play2.74.1
Yards/Att3.55.9
QB Contact Pct40%34%

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t use a first-round pick on a player that will only participate in 40% of your defensive snaps.

You have to use it on off-ball linebackers who will only play 20% of your defensive snaps.

—Steve Keim, probably

That was going to be my retort and again Davis is not my first choice I want an OL, a WR or a DB ahead of him but I do think people are wrong about him being a terrible choice if the guys we want are off the board.

You can make the argument we often allowed teams to convert on 3rd and long but down the stretch our run defense was terrible and as a result we started to have to bring Budda into the run game more and that IMO, along with losing CB's, is why our pass defense suddenly got so much worse, we were playing Budda up near the LOS more.

More than anything I want a good player who will be able to contribute right away, I don't want to spend all next year wondering why we're not playing whoever we pick.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That was going to be my retort and again Davis is not my first choice I want an OL, a WR or a DB ahead of him but I do think people are wrong about him being a terrible choice if the guys we want are off the board.

You can make the argument we often allowed teams to convert on 3rd and long but down the stretch our run defense was terrible and as a result we started to have to bring Budda into the run game more and that IMO, along with losing CB's, is why our pass defense suddenly got so much worse, we were playing Budda up near the LOS more.

More than anything I want a good player who will be able to contribute right away, I don't want to spend all next year wondering why we're not playing whoever we pick.
Yeah but your NT isn’t going to be on the field on 3rd and long, anyway.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but your NT isn’t going to be on the field on 3rd and long, anyway.

Right but with Davis, it will be 3rd and longer (-:

I'm hoping we make a trade get 2 picks and pick Davis and Drake London just to see the reaction from DVontel (-:

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I want Keim to draft another inside linebacker.

Hoping my reverse psychology works and we get a real impact player that will actually play.