I take it back about Kyler's 2nd INT

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said yesterday I don;t know what he's talking about the 2nd INT being a TD if not for the helmet grab. Well, this is what he saw as he's pulling his arm back.

There's no Vikings player off screen here. The one we see behind Kirk in the TV film is the one on the 15 yard line at the top and the one that intercepts it is the one that's just checked back because he thinks the ball is going to Hopkins.

The helmet grab didn't change the direction, it took power and pace off the throw so it ended up 5-10 yards short of where it needed to be.

On saying all that, in my opinion the ball should already be out by now. He was about a second late getting it out and if he's on time he doesn't get hit. But it probably still would have made it had he not been hit.

Also, Kirk is going to have 1000 yards and 10+ TD's this year looking at the film, and look how many guys Kyler has open. He likely has 1st downs to Edmonds and Maxx. Possibly in the flat to Green too with only 1 man to beat Although I think Green should be running a slant here. So much space for him to run into. And then obviously Kirk for the TD over the top. This O is going to be tough to stop.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
man

i see five open players for at least 7 yards and probably first downs

Im assuming Hop (at the 20) is coming hard at the near sideline. K1 would have to really rip that out -- a tough throw.

James Connor? (right by the 40) - looks like a ball in stride gives him a first down and maybe more

Maxx looks like an easy 5 yards, maybe a first down

im not sure who that is up top (Moore?), but that looks like him with lots of space and one on one

then Kirk, who scores if the ball is thrown right down the middle of the hashes to ~3 yard line

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Looking at the screen grab, I can see why K2 mentioned that sometimes it's just better for him to check out of those plays. Didn't realize we had so many other options available on play. I'm guessing K1 wanted to go for the kill shot & got carried away.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Looking at the screen grab, I can see why K2 mentioned that sometimes it's just better for him to check out of those plays. Didn't realize we had so many other options available on play. I'm guessing K1 wanted to go for the kill shot & got carried away.
If the big play is there you take it (with few exceptions of course). The play was there too, but was maybe a split second slow getting the throw off and the ref missed what should have been a contact to the head of the QB which caused an underthrow. The result doesn't necessarily suggest the decision was the wrong one.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think it was the right decision. The TD shot to Kirk is open, and it's not even a particularly hard throw as he's got a bunch of space. It was just bad luck really that the helmet grab pulled it short and it wasn't flagged.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The thing is if the blow to the helmet doesn't happen it's pretty likely that ball is either a TD or an incompletion because there's plenty of space there for Kyler to put the ball where either Kirk catches it or nobody does. Yes there are layups underneath but in the NFL that ball is open. I watched the replay again if you watch Kyler at the end the way he spins when it happened live I thought he was trying to avoid the hit I think he's actually both reacting to the contact and trying to sell to the ref hey I got hit. People keep saying they don't think it impacted the throw but honestly with this angle do people really think Kyler just chose to wind up and throw the ball on a line at Kirk instead of leading him either right or left? He can throw it to the hashmarks, he can throw it over Kirks' head or he can even throw it to the left a bit over the DB leading Kirk that way. The one thing he absolutely can't do is what ended up happening throwing the ball directly at the WR on a line and I'm inclined to believe that happened because he got hit.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
KUDOS to KK
It's really easy to see, now, how the lack of speed on offense, the last 2 years, really impacted his play design. If IA is even 75% of Moore, the last 2 years, this offense would have been so much more explosive. The speed of Green, too, while no longer elite, is still so much better than Fitz, that defenses are respecting it. When those passes start connecting more, we may be watching real life Tecmo Bowl.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I yelled “Touchdown!” in the stadium right when he threw the ball (I sit above that end zone Kirk was running toward).. was shocked it ended up that short until I saw his comment after the game. I was confused when people were talking about a guy over the top on defense, but hadn’t seen a reply to confirm what I remembered about the play so assumed I was wrong.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the reply on youtube you can see Kyler's head turn live I thought he was exaggerating to get the penalty but replay it clearly got him and the ball wobbles quite obviously. Also note he DID step up in the pocket it's weird but if he hadn't, the guy probably doesn't get his facemask.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This looks so much different than my vantage point at the game. Conner was WIDE OPEN and could have made the first down. I thought it was a boneheaded move live, but definitely see it was the right decision now.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah the reply on youtube you can see Kyler's head turn live I thought he was exaggerating to get the penalty but replay it clearly got him and the ball wobbles quite obviously. Also note he DID step up in the pocket it's weird but if he hadn't, the guy probably doesn't get his facemask.

A couple observations.

It looks like DJ had him under control except it was the chip by Chase that kind of threw him out of rhythm.

Shame that Kyler got punished for actually climbing the pocket here. He probably gets the TD if he doesnt and just throws it. Again I hope he doesnt let a few things that dont go his way influence him going forward.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
PFF guys on podcast yesterday said it did not count as turn over worthy in grading after reviewing it as well
Did they consider the Maxx Williams tip play a turnover worthy play? Cause if that didnt hurt his grade either I' not sure how he wasnt in the 80s (since they didnt count this play as turnover worthy).

Murray had one of the best games of his career Sunday, throwing for 400 yards and three touchdowns while running for 31 yards and another score. And yet he was still bothered by the mistakes. It didn't matter that he was 6-for-7 passing for 200 yards and two touchdowns on throws 15 yards or more downfield. It didn't matter that he was seemingly unfazed on dropbacks when pressured. He was under duress on 13 of his 41 dropbacks Sunday but was able to complete 6-of-10 passes for 140 yards with two touchdowns and an interception.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

KM still threw that ball too late. Even if not hit, I think the DB at the top gets to the ball for an Int or delivers a bone crushing hit to break up the pass.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KM still threw that ball too late. Even if not hit, I think the DB at the top gets to the ball for an Int or delivers a bone crushing hit to break up the pass.
Are you actually looking at the screen shot Brit provided, Kirk is wide open. More so than the mood shot from KM against the Titans or the 4th and 5 play where Kirk caught the ball at the 5. KM has his head turned by a facemask while throwing the ball, of course it impacted the trajectory and velocity on the ball.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose