I survived a Cardiac Arrest

27Veer

Veteran
Reaction score
On November 13th I had chest pains and went immediately to the Sierra Vista Hospital. I began having a Heart attack when I was getting an EKG. By act of God or luck the new Cardiologist Dr. Michael Jerman had come to the ER an hour early. He was standing next to me when I had the initial attack.
He was there to conduct a dry run of the new Cath Lab. I was already being readied when i had the actual arrest. He hit me with the defib within 15 seconds which opened the widow maker artery just enough that I awoke but he knew he had about 10-15 minutes to try to save my life. He put out a request on the intercom that he needed volunteers to do an immediate wet run in the Cath Lab, that I would not survive a helo trip to Tucson. He got 14 immediate volunteers. It took them fewer that 5 minutes to get me prepped and into the Cath Lab, the company they had purchased the equipment from had two instructors there who had everything going in minutes and Dr. Jerman assigned jobs.
He told me later that he did the fastest angioplasty he had ever done, but he was helped because I have large arteries.
I woke up several hours later and many of the volunteers were around my bed, several of the nurses were crying.
I actually passed a stress test 2 days later and went home for 2 days as I was able to ask for the surgeon in Tucson who had saved my wifes life 10 years earlier on an ASD repair.
I had a quad bypass and am doing well in my Cardiac rehab now.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW. Congrats to you, and sounds like your guardian angel was working double time! Amazing story--glad to hear you're doing ok.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
congrats on getting through it! That is a great story. Thank you for sharing and I am happy you can still visit us :)

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remarkable! Here's to a quick recovery!! :cheers:

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Sorry this took me so long to see. I usually don't venture into this forum.

Glad you survived! Sounds like fate had alot of the right things meld with the right times mixed with the right people.

Wish you many, many more years of continued health.

jf-08

Administrator; Rules Creator
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What an incredible story.

May health last you for many years.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. What a great story!! Almost 2 months from your post so, how are you doing now? Any complications?

OP
OP

27Veer

Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you all. I'm doing great. One reason the Docs decided on a quad bypass is that even with the C A there was limited damage to my heart and all the blockage was on the left side. They said I'd have energy that zI haven't had in 10 years and they are correct.

To continue the story exactly one month after the surgery my Gall Bladder exploded, I had 20 stones and Gangrene. I should have been agonner again. The SVER got me to St. Marys on Dec 22 and a team of 4 doctors were waiting for me. I spent the first 5 days on opium while they pumped me full of anti-biotic. I went through more tests on my heart than I could imagine and as many on the gangrene. The day after Christmas I had the first DaVinci procedure done by Dr, Iftakhar, and subsequent procedures ending with final removal of the G B on New Years Day

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. I'm doing great. One reason the Docs decided on a quad bypass is that even with the C A there was limited damage to my heart and all the blockage was on the left side. They said I'd have energy that zI haven't had in 10 years and they are correct.

To continue the story exactly one month after the surgery my Gall Bladder exploded, I had 20 stones and Gangrene. I should have been agonner again. The SVER got me to St. Marys on Dec 22 and a team of 4 doctors were waiting for me. I spent the first 5 days on opium while they pumped me full of anti-biotic. I went through more tests on my heart than I could imagine and as many on the gangrene. The day after Christmas I had the first DaVinci procedure done by Dr, Iftakhar, and subsequent procedures ending with final removal of the G B on New Years Day
HOLY CRAP. :notworthy: