I Ranked All 32 Starting QBs for 2020

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I have a client who's obsessed with football, so I had him and I rank all 32 starting QBs (includes who I think will win respective QB battle). Figured I'd share my list here and let you all pick it apart.

1. Patrick Mahomes

2. Russell Wilson

3. Drew Brees

4. Aaron Rodgers

5. Lamar Jackson

6. DeSean Watson

7. Carson Wentz

8. Matt Stafford

9. Matt Ryan

10. Tom Brady

11. Kyler Murray

12. Philip Rivers

13. Ben Roethlisberger

14. Cam Newton

15. Derek Carr

16. Kirk Cousins

17. Jared Goff

18. Sam Darnold

19. Dak Prescott

20. Baker Mayfield

21. Teddy Bridgewater

22. Ryan Tannehill

23. Josh Allen

24. Nick Foles

25. Jimmy Garoppolo

26. Daniel Jones

27. Drew Locke

28. Tua Tagavoila

29. Gardner Minshew

30. Joe Burrow

31. Tyrod Taylor

32. Dwayne Haskins

I really had a hard time after 7 ranking the QBs. Once I got to 26, it got a little easier.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
The Dak Prescott ranking is disqualifying, IMO.

I’m not a huge Dak guy because I think he’s more Alex Smith than Russell Wilson. However, I forgot about his three-headed monster at WR this year and think he will exceed 19 just because of their many strengths on offense. TBH, I’m not sure he’s the 3rd or 4th most talented offensive player on his team

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Rivers, Bridgewater, & Carr are way too high.

Especially Rivers. Wow.

Dak & Lamar are too low.

I think Rivers will do well with Reich, so I don’t think 12 is a stretch at all, though he has a chance to plummet in the rankings if he doesn’t do well in Indy

As for Lamar, I actually felt generous putting him at 5, but it’s hard to ignore his meteoric rise in one season to MVP.

The Athletic had Rivers at #13 at Lamar at #7 after polling 50 NFL coaches.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Rivers, Bridgewater, & Carr are way too high.

Especially Rivers. Wow.

Dak & Lamar are too low.

I think Brees and Rodgers are ranked too high and that screws everything up. I'd put Brees closer to 10 and Rodgers in the early teens.

Lamar is probably 4th. Dak should be around 8th or 9th.

Bridgewater is an average player, which isn't a bad thing as your backup, but as a starter he needs a good team to be good.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I’m not a huge Dak guy because I think he’s more Alex Smith than Russell Wilson. However, I forgot about his three-headed monster at WR this year and think he will exceed 19 just because of their many strengths on offense. TBH, I’m not sure he’s the 3rd or 4th most talented offensive player on his team

Dak Prescott was #1 in DVOA, 4th in QBR, 10th in passer rating last year. It's ridiculous to say that he's Actually Below Average. He had 30 passing TDs against 9 INTs! 4,700 yards! 8.2 YPA.

Again, this is probably a disqualifying opinion.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Dak Prescott was #1 in DVOA, 4th in QBR, 10th in passer rating last year. It's ridiculous to say that he's Actually Below Average. He had 30 passing TDs against 9 INTs! 4,700 yards! 8.2 YPA.

Again, this is probably a disqualifying opinion.
He’s also greatly supported by some incredible weapons and probably the best o-line in the NFL. Can you confidently say that he’s the 3rd best offensive player on his team? His own front office is playing hardball, which says that they don’t value him as a top-tier QB like others seem to do.

It’s not a “disqualifying opinion” at all because the opinions of him are
Polarizing, unlike surefire studs like Mahomes and Russ

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He’s also greatly supported by some incredible weapons and probably the best o-line in the NFL. Can you confidently say that he’s the 3rd best offensive player on his team? His own front office is playing hardball, which says that they don’t value him as a top-tier QB like others seem to do.

It’s not a “disqualifying opinion” at all because the opinions of him are
Polarizing, unlike surefire studs like Mahomes and Russ

Please find the opinions of him being a below-average starting quarterback in the NFL — substantially worse than a guy who attempted 62 passes last season in Ben Roethlisberger.

There's no serious argument that Dak Prescott isn't a top 10 starting quarterback in the NFL right now. Every team in the NFL would rather have him than Tom Brady, for example.

Cam Newton, Ben Roethlisberger, and Matt Stafford all started 8 games are fewer in 2019, but Dak Prescott is SUBSTANTIALLY WORSE than all of them?

Dak Prescott was an MVP candidate for much of last year, but he's worse than Sam Darnold? Absolute insanity. Prescott's worst season is better than Darnold's best.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Please find the opinions of him being a below-average starting quarterback in the NFL — substantially worse than a guy who attempted 62 passes last season in Ben Roethlisberger.

There's no serious argument that Dak Prescott isn't a top 10 starting quarterback in the NFL right now. Every team in the NFL would rather have him than Tom Brady, for example.

Cam Newton, Ben Roethlisberger, and Matt Stafford all started 8 games are fewer in 2019, but Dak Prescott is SUBSTANTIALLY WORSE than all of them?

Dak Prescott was an MVP candidate for much of last year, but he's worse than Sam Darnold? Absolute insanity. Prescott's worst season is better than Darnold's best.
I wouldn't say he's below average. 19 I would say is average. I don't think he's that low. I think guys like Darnold, Newton and others possess better talent and ability to move their offense. I think Dak is largely a product of his system and its talent. I can't see him on a team like Seattle and being nearly as productive as Wilson. Again, why is Dallas so hesitant to give him a big long-term deal if he's a top-10 guy? If they valued him as such, he'd have had a contract in place a very long time ago

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I wouldn't say he's below average. 19 I would say is average. I don't think he's that low. I think guys like Darnold, Newton and others possess better talent and ability to move their offense. I think Dak is largely a product of his system and its talent. I can't see him on a team like Seattle and being nearly as productive as Wilson. Again, why is Dallas so hesitant to give him a big long-term deal if he's a top-10 guy? If they valued him as such, he'd have had a contract in place a very long time ago

Truthering "average" is beneath you. This is such a weird hill to die on.

Dallas wants to sign him to a longer-term deal. They want him for the next 6 years. Dak wants a shorter deal so he can get a second bite of the apple.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/m...t-dallas-cowboys-extension-175-million-offer/

This isn't a Kirk Cousins situation.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Dak I think 7

1. Mahomes
2. Brees
3. Jackson
4. Wilson
5. Watson
6. Rodgers
7. Dak

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yea, I don’t know how you can say with confidence that Derek Carr(who you think Dak is) & Sam Darnold(Inconsistent, but having a cancer like Gase doesn’t help) are better than Dak.

If Dak isn’t the best offensive player on his team, he’s at least the 2nd best definitely.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would have listed Dak last because well, you know. Dallas. That's the family friendly version of my actual thoughts.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You think Cousins is better huh
Not for the long term by any means. In terms of how I'd rank where we're at today, I'd probably put them right next to each other. But I'd take Cousins over Carr, plus we pretty much all agree Dak should be top 10, so that probably pushes it down. I'm not gonna do my whole list but I'd say the top 11-16 probably looks like this for me:

11. Matt Stafford
12. Ben Roethlisberger
13. Philip Rivers
14. Kyler Murray
15. Ryan Tannehill
16. Kirk Cousins

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose