I mean really, how did Carson tear his ACL on that play!?

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The defender just grabbed his shoulder, and when he went down, I really thought it was his shoulder was bothering him again. But the knee!?

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
He said his cleat got caught in the grass when he stepped up to avoid the sack. I thought it was his shoulder too. Just a freak injury.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He hurt it when he plants the left leg, before the defender touched him. It's far from abnormal for an NFL player to blow out a knee, or an Achilles, with no contact. It happens.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The defender just grabbed his shoulder, and when he went down, I really thought it was his shoulder was bothering him again. But the knee!?

When it comes to blowing out a knee, sometimes it doesn't take much. For example:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I heard originally, although I can't find it now, that the repair in 2005 used graft tissue from elsewhere in Carson's body, which isn't as strong as the donor ligaments that are more commonly used today.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but my wife is an athletic trainer and works in an ortho clinic. One of her old docs was a 20th overall pick in the 1st round and played 5 years in the NFL.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Knee injuries with no contact happens all the time. Sucks but that's the reality

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard originally, although I can't find it now, that the repair in 2005 used graft tissue from elsewhere in Carson's body, which isn't as strong as the donor ligaments that are more commonly used today.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but my wife is an athletic trainer and works in an ortho clinic. One of her old docs was a 20th overall pick in the 1st round and played 5 years in the NFL.
Interesting

PitchShifter

The other Big Red
Reaction score
He said his cleat got caught in the grass when he stepped up to avoid the sack. I thought it was his shoulder too. Just a freak injury.

That's exactly how I did my ACL.

There was a Tweet from Somers that said he won't use cadaver tissue this time as was the case in '05. Maybe that is mentioned in the press conference?

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It does not matter when I was a kid my Dad tore his ACL taking out the trash. He took a very slight stumble, wouldn't even call it a trip and pow, gone. Thought it was hilarious given that he played sports all through high school and never had an injury. Our knees are fickle little jerks.

And Just a side note, I think in this modern day of surgical wonders, we all get a little desensitized to these knee injuries, they happen so often and so many guys come back (ie Adrian Peterson) that we're like meh, ACL, no biggie he will be back next year. Well I just went on youtube and watched some ACL surgies and suriously, screw that! This surgery is gnarly!! Drilling holes in bones and taking tendons and splicing them here and there, I admire how tough all these athletes are, and how amazing is medicine that we can just replace stuff like this? Who even decides to do that the first time? lol Like who was the first doc that was all, hey what if we cut out big chunks of bone and like half the patellar tendon and somehow splice that up through the knee, sure well have to drill some holes but YOLO!!! lol

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Apparently tearing your ACL without tearing your MCL is much better. MCL takes 6-8 weeks to heal and causes inflammation in the knee preventing ACL to heal faster from surgery. This is from WebMD.

Palmer tore both ligaments in 2005.

CoachKlein

Rookie
Reaction score
Acl tears happen all the time on things like this. Docket a perfect example. Supposedly when it tears from contact or non contact it's (already tearing) so within the next 10 plays and or this week in practice it was bound to happen.. Sad but next man up. It's not like we didn't start the season missing 5 pro bowlers anyways. Don't give up hope

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Casey Hampton

The 325-pound All-Pro defensive tackle just finished the twelfth year of his NFL career despite having three ACL reconstructions, the first on his left knee in college in 1997 and his right knee twice while with the Steelers in 2004 and 2012.

"Once you do it, having two, the third one is a little bit easier because you kind of know what to do," Hampton told USA TODAY Sports last month. "You know how to rehab, you know what's going to make it hurt, what's going to make it not hurt. You're not really worried about tearing it again. You don't have the same fears because you've done been through it before."

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Acl tears happen all the time on things like this. Docket a perfect example. Supposedly when it tears from contact or non contact it's (already tearing) so within the next 10 plays and or this week in practice it was bound to happen.. Sad but next man up. It's not like we didn't start the season missing 5 pro bowlers anyways. Don't give up hope

Wow just realized we are missing 5 pro bowl players from last season's squad.
Not 5 players, not 5 starters, but 5 pro bowlers.

Go to any other team and have them sit 5 of their best players.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard originally, although I can't find it now, that the repair in 2005 used graft tissue from elsewhere in Carson's body, which isn't as strong as the donor ligaments that are more commonly used today

I heard Palmer say the opposite... aha, just googled it and found this. Really interesting - glad i looked it up!
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aMUnEMMK8Vvs
Carson Palmer Runs Again on Tendon of Woman Hit by Drunk Driver

...dbs

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's called a freak injury... Hell, I threw my previously undamaged back out while reaching awkwardly for a remote control in bed.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those kind of injuries are just how it goes. I have a friend who tore his ACL standing up getting out of a chair - athletic guy too in great shape, a runner. That just happens.

When it is like that, it's usually ACL. Most often the torque needed to tear the LCL or MCL is from contact, but that ACL can be from a butterfly landing on the knee.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Itore my left menicus just stepping downs step this week. Surgery next week.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm just gonna assume the remote control was for the tv. [emoji56]

Go Cards!!!

:mulli:

In all honesty... It could have been one of 4-5 remotes :D

I bought a logitech programmable to try to get it to 1.. But my bed has 2 remotes (sleep number, and adjustable frame) and I couldn't get the harmony remote to recognize either.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA