I mean really, how did Carson tear his ACL on that play!?

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Vacard, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Vacard

Vacard Registered

The defender just grabbed his shoulder, and when he went down, I really thought it was his shoulder was bothering him again. But the knee!?

2. New Mexico

New Mexico Fan since 1976ish

He said his cleat got caught in the grass when he stepped up to avoid the sack. I thought it was his shoulder too. Just a freak injury.

3. desertdawg

desertdawg Banned

It's just winner week as far as threads go.. lmao.

4. Brian

Brian PANEM ET CIRCENSES

No kidding. Anyone who has watched enough football knows how freak that injury can be.

5. desertdawg

desertdawg Banned

I've even seen celebration dances end in ACLs.

6. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

He hurt it when he plants the left leg, before the defender touched him. It's far from abnormal for an NFL player to blow out a knee, or an Achilles, with no contact. It happens.

7. NJCardFan

NJCardFan Registered

When it comes to blowing out a knee, sometimes it doesn't take much. For example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Dan H

Dan H Registered User

I heard originally, although I can't find it now, that the repair in 2005 used graft tissue from elsewhere in Carson's body, which isn't as strong as the donor ligaments that are more commonly used today.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but my wife is an athletic trainer and works in an ortho clinic. One of her old docs was a 20th overall pick in the 1st round and played 5 years in the NFL.

9. Buckybird

Buckybird Hoist the Lombardi Trophy

Knee injuries with no contact happens all the time. Sucks but that's the reality

10. BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan Go for it Contributor

Interesting

11. PitchShifter

PitchShifter The other Big Red

That's exactly how I did my ACL.

There was a Tweet from Somers that said he won't use cadaver tissue this time as was the case in '05. Maybe that is mentioned in the press conference?

12. Bert

Bert Walkin' on Sunshine

It does not matter when I was a kid my Dad tore his ACL taking out the trash. He took a very slight stumble, wouldn't even call it a trip and pow, gone. Thought it was hilarious given that he played sports all through high school and never had an injury. Our knees are fickle little jerks.

And Just a side note, I think in this modern day of surgical wonders, we all get a little desensitized to these knee injuries, they happen so often and so many guys come back (ie Adrian Peterson) that we're like meh, ACL, no biggie he will be back next year. Well I just went on youtube and watched some ACL surgies and suriously, screw that! This surgery is gnarly!! Drilling holes in bones and taking tendons and splicing them here and there, I admire how tough all these athletes are, and how amazing is medicine that we can just replace stuff like this? Who even decides to do that the first time? lol Like who was the first doc that was all, hey what if we cut out big chunks of bone and like half the patellar tendon and somehow splice that up through the knee, sure well have to drill some holes but YOLO!!! lol

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  13. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Apparently tearing your ACL without tearing your MCL is much better. MCL takes 6-8 weeks to heal and causes inflammation in the knee preventing ACL to heal faster from surgery. This is from WebMD.

Palmer tore both ligaments in 2005.

14. CoachKlein

CoachKlein Rookie

Acl tears happen all the time on things like this. Docket a perfect example. Supposedly when it tears from contact or non contact it's (already tearing) so within the next 10 plays and or this week in practice it was bound to happen.. Sad but next man up. It's not like we didn't start the season missing 5 pro bowlers anyways. Don't give up hope

15. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Casey Hampton