I have a ? regarding a Play of Ours with 2 minutes left

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
We're backed up to our goal line, they have 1 TO I believe, and its 1st down. All we have to do is get a first down any way we can. Now my ? is about the first snap to Murray.

Basically, what the hell was that? It looked like no one new what the play was or who was supposed to get the ball. First thing, Murray took a look and a step toward Conner who started and stopped in the backfield like he wasn't sure if he was getting the ball or he simply began to run the wrong play. Then Murray, after not giving the ball to Conner, looked like he wanted to run around the outside but was cut off by a Charger, and then sort of froze falling forward realizing he was surrounded and couldn't go anywhere.

It was typical Cardinals, needing to gain some yardage toward a 1st down, and got totally discombobulated looking like deers caught in the headlights of oncoming traffic. Any thoughts on what happened there? Was that just a broken play, a miscommunication between Kyler and his teammates, or from KK to Kyler?

How can any pro team be so inept at every important juncture of every game where they simply go brain dead in moments that will win or lose you the game you have fought so hard to win. Going back to the Greene moment which reversed our whole team momentum last year and which we never recovered from, we seem to have remained in that same state of mind ever since.

Last edited:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're backed up to our goal line, they have 1 TO I believe, and its 1st down. All we have to do is get a first down any way we can. Now my ? is about the first snap to Murray.

Basically, what the hell was that? It looked like no one new what the play was or who was supposed to get the ball. First thing, Murray took a look and a step toward Conner who started and stopped in the backfield like he was getting the ball he expected or began to run the wrong play. Then Murray, after not giving the ball the Conner, looked like he wanted to run around the outside but was cut off by a Charger, and then sort of froze falling forward realizing he was surrounded and could go anywhere.

It was typical Cardinals, needing to gain some yardage toward a 1st down, and got totally discombobulated looking like deers caught in the headlights of own coming traffic. Any thoughts on what happened there? Was that just a broken play, a miscommunication between Kyler and his teammates, or from KK to Kyler?

How can any pro team be so inept at every important juncture of every game where they simply go brain dead in moments that will win or lose you athe game you have fought so hard to win. Going back to the Greene moment which reversed our whole team momentum last year and which we never recovered from, we seem to have remained in that same state of mind ever since.
Simple terrible coaching!

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Chargers used the run prevent that apparently flustered Murray.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
At 3rd or 4th down and 1' to 2 yds to go, what is it with the Cards that makes that so challenging. Most teams get lined up right away and either push the QB ahead for a yard or two, or hand it off quickly to their bigger back and have him push the pile for a yard. It is so simple, it doesn't require much time to be wasted in a huddle, if a huddle is even called for, and is surely just a simple blocking scheme that has been practiced to no end during every week. But the Cards' approach to the situation is usually something along the lines of this:

1. They run out of time and have to use a TO while players are running onto and off of the field looking confused and bewildered as to who is in and what they are supposed to be doing.
2. They simply call a TO immediately to discuss the situation as if they have never seen it before, and then after the time out, many times the clock still runs down before they snap the ball.
3. They break the huddle, get up to the line, and Murray takes forever looking about until a lineman moves and gets called for illegal procedure.
4. They run some "fool me now, fool me later" play that blows up in their face, or it's a pass simply over/under thrown or dropped for an incompletion.
5. Whichever #1-4 that is chosen, the series ends with Murray looking frustrated and player(s)/coaches pointing fingers at one another.

For C.F.S. this is supposed to be a no-brainer. You hustle up to the line, everyone already knows the situation, Murray gets the snap quickly and the plays goes up the middle hoping you catch them not set yet, or Murray takes some time, barking signals, trying to get the other team to jump offsides. If they aren't going for it, you hike the dang ball and pick up the one yard you need.

Every team in the league does this simple scenario in this common situation. Why and How can any team make a jigsaw puzzle out of it, and fail so often looking like buffoons? If our Coach and our preparation is so poor that we can't get this part of the game right, there is no hope with these guys. Dump 'em and get someone competent. It doesn't take 3 years to figure that that is the solution to your problem. Simple as that.