I don't understand why people look at win lost record in the finals to grade the best players in the world

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Oh I disagree I think Kobe is on a much higher level than McGrady and Iverson. Neither of those guys have the all around game Kobe had.

I don’t think KG has any argument over Kobe. He did a lot of nothing his first 10 years in the league. I wouldn’t even put KG above Dirk that makes him at best the number 3 guy at PF in his era. That Dirk championship run separates him IMO.
For me yes dirk absolutely over KG. Dirk did have a great supporting cast, but almost always did the heavy lifting to come from behind or close games out in those 2011 playoffs. And dirk outshined a gauntlet of hall of fame players along the way. Up until that point I think dirk was the first finals mvp since Hakeem to be the only all star on his team. Dirk also had some good head to head battles with Duncan. Of corse the Spurs had the edge overall but dirk always played them well and did knock them out of the playoffs a couple of times when they were still at a high level.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For me yes dirk absolutely over KG. Dirk did have a great supporting cast, but almost always did the heavy lifting to come from behind or close games out in those 2011 playoffs. And dirk outshined a gauntlet of hall of fame players along the way. Up until that point I think dirk was the first finals mvp since Hakeem to be the only all star on his team. Dirk also had some good head to head battles with Duncan. Of corse the Spurs had the edge overall but dirk always played them well and did knock them out of the playoffs a couple of times when they were still at a high level.

Dirk did not have a good supporting cast. Once Nash left he only played with 1 all star the rest of his career and that was Josh Howard who made 1 all star game.

Cuban wasted his career

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Dirk did not have a good supporting cast. Once Nash left he only played with 1 all star the rest of his career and that was Josh Howard who made 1 all star game.

Cuban wasted his career
Well he did for that 2010-2011 time frame. That was a short period when Dallas made trades and acquired a handful of good veteran players that were at the last chance of their career to win a title. So they were a deep team if dirk was balling. But yes you are mostly right. Even then most of those players rode along holding dirk’s cape, Jason terry talks about it often. Cuban was lucky that dirk didn’t walk a couple of years after nash left (he could and probably should have with Cubans impulsive moves). or also ask to be traded to a contender after 2012 timeframe because Cuban did little to nothing to rebuild while dirk was still there. He basically let that 2011 team dissolve starting with Tyson Chandler. But let’s be real, that team wasn’t going to last much longer. I think dirk would have left for GS if he didn’t win in 2011, allegedly GS wanted him in 2014. But who knows.

Dallas had like 3 small windows in dirk’s career. 2003 was the first one but dirk got hurt in those playoffs and for some reason Cuban basically let van excel and Steve nash go shortly after because he thought they were undersized, but that’s where over half of their scoring was coming from. Of corse that was what led to Don Nelson quitting the team soon after and basically handing Avery Johnson the job even though he had no coaching experience. Dallas were also really good in 2006-2007, but they never really recovered from losing to Miami in 06 who were then ironically very similar to the 2011 mavs. Ironically Nelson’s GS team knocked out the mavs in 2007 a first vs worst matchup… So Cuban dissolved that team as well. Dallas were lucky that amare got hurt in that time mid 2006 time frame because I don’t think they beat the suns in the WCF otherwise.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose