I don't see it

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Dan H, Dec 15, 2020.

1. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I thought we were already a solid playoff team if we just returned the bubble guys and added a role player or two. And I expected a healthy Chris Paul to make us even better. As it is, we've won several games I didn't expect but more often than not those wins came against shorthanded teams.

The biggest surprises for me this season are Booker's really bad stretches, our late game composure (thanks mostly to Chris Paul) and our failure to take care of business against so many weaker teams. Our actual record isn't that big of a surprise to me but how we got here is.

2. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Naw. Playoff team? Yes. Second best record on the league? No way.

The defense is a huge surprise. Defensive players usually come here and forget how to defend. This teams ability to win games while executing poorly on offense is astounding. The pace of play is what I expected with Paul, I just did not expect it to be this effective.

This team plays like a Popovich Spurs team.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  3. AzStevenCal

When we're playing our game we are better than I thought we'd be mostly because our defense is often much better than I expected but I can't say our actual record is much better than I expected. Healthy, I figured we'd win 60 to 65% of our games and I think that's about where we'll end up unless we keep facing short-handed teams. As for being in 2nd, yes that's a surprise but that has as much to do with injuries elsewhere than anything else.

4. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

I'm tired of the "we'd be worse if not for injuries to other teams" excuse.

5. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

During the game thread, what the general attitude was at the start of the journey came up. So rather than make assumptions, I bumped the two threads that show how it all started.

There were people, including myself, who had us at the 4 seed pre Lakers injuries. We added an All NBA Player for two average starters. That's a big shift whenever it happens.

ArizonaSportsFan likes this.
  6. Chris_Sanders

Also anytime I can reference Dude Where is My Car I am in

Mainstreet and Ouchie-Z-Clown like this.
  7. ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS ONE HEART BEAT!!!

Ha, I do enjoy the revisionist history...I was of the opinion that we were in the Denver/Utah tier, 3-4, with the LA teams ahead. It would be no surprise if that is how everything plays out in the end, but many of us were very optimistic about being in that range.

8. Chris_Sanders

At this point it should be expected that with an abbreviated season, whomever is healthy at the end is going to have a significant advantage. Health cost us probably 4 games at the start of the year so we had our time just early.

We are our record and continue to prove it against the top teams

Mainstreet likes this.
  9. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

This is what I was thinking. I knew we weren't favorites for a title but we would be dark horse contenders along with the Jazz and Nuggets.

10. AzStevenCal

Make of it what you will but never in my life have I seen the Suns catch the kind of breaks that we have this season. I'm not discounting our wins but we've almost always been on the other side of the luck line prior to this season. And I'll be ecstatic if we continue to catch these breaks all the way to a championship.

11. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

But by definition you are discounting our wins by implying that we wouldn’t have won if those players were healthy.

We are all definitely happy with where we are at right now. But we are a good team. Hell the Bucks were healthy and we beat them.

12. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

The Suns have had their share of bad luck like those two back-to-back losses to Denver.

If the Suns had not put themselves in position to win there would be no luck.

13. AzStevenCal

Whatever. I guess I could pretend all the other teams were fully healthy but I just don't see what's wrong in acknowledging our good fortune. And at no time have I said those wins don't count. It's not uncommon for any team to win or lose a game due to player absence, we don't put asterisks next to the W's.

I've been consistent on this subject. Look through the history of this board and you will find many examples of my doing the same thing for us when good fortune has gone against us (as it has so many times).

Ouchie-Z-Clown and mjb21aztd like this.
  14. mjb21aztd

mjb21aztd Registered User

Glad this aged badly :)

Chris_Sanders and Mainstreet like this.
  15. Proximo

Proximo Registered

Why, you don't think it's true?

Suns are a very good team - but lets be honest they have a very small chance of beating a healthy Lakers or Nets team.

mjb21aztd likes this.