I don't see it

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Dan H, Dec 15, 2020.

1. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Not So Skeptical

I think the point he was making is that he isn't worried about his numbers on offense, not necessarily that he doesn't care about doing his part on offense.

It doesn't matter to him if he scores 10 or 25 as long as he is anchoring the defense and is helping the team win games. That is his primary area of concern.

WhyAlwaysMe likes this.
  2. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

If his actual words were “I don’t care about offense” he needs to be better with his phrasing. I acknowledge this is a poster quoting him and may not have gotten it right or may have missed the context or nuance. That said words have meaning. Say what you mean.

3. CardsSunsDbacks

I mean is Ayton really known for choosing his words wisely in the first place? I just can't imagine that he is suggesting that he just doesn't care at all about offense in general, but that he doesn't care how big his role is.

4. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Here’s my issue with not taking Ayton’s actual words at face value in this situation. His actions on the court back them up. We’ve watched Ayton for two years. People here have ROUTINELY talked about how “historic” his game has been, mostly on offense. This year he hasn’t just looked less aggressive. Until last night, he looked like he wanted no part of the offense at all. I’m hoping last night is the start of an all-around game from him because if he CAN do merely what he did in Season 1 and 2 on offense, I think this team will not just have a chance at the playoffs, but the whole enchilada.

right now our offense is completely perimeter based. And that’s working and CAN be really successful. But the best teams in the league, the real contenders can play a multitude of different ways. Ayton provides another way to attack if he finds his offensive stride again.

5. CardsSunsDbacks

Here is the entire clip. Listen to the whole thing. He does say he doesn't really care about offense, but expands a little further to where it sounds more like he just doesn't care about putting up big numbers or having the offense running through him.

He even alluded to needing to be a threat on that end, but the team already has plenty of offense with all of the shooters on the team so he is more worried about anchoring the defense. It certainly doesn't sound to me like he just doesn't want to play offense or be a factor, but just doesn't care if he is putting up big numbers or getting a whole lot of touches.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  6. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I don’t think he realizes that when we get punched in face he’s supposed to be the guy that punches back. Shooting has a way of abandoning you occasionally. And it usually abandons you at the worst moment . . . playoffs against better defensive teams that see you night after night for a series. That’s when you have to be capable of countering with the high percentage ground game, so to speak. And for us that should be primarily based on Ayton.

I guess when a dude gets a “DOMINAYTON” tattoo I would think he expects he will . . . I dunno . . . dominate.

7. Finito

Finito Registered

Guys are reading way to much into this. If that was Booker saying I don’t care about points I care about wins everyone would say oh he’s really maturing.

Ayton, Booker and Paul’s points are way down from last season but you knows who’s are up. Everyone else and we are 5-1 while playing the hardest schedule in the NBA.

Monty has clearly said this team is going to hang its hat on defense and everyone is buying in even Booker and Ayton two guys who had reputations in the past as not being good defenders now you see em getting after it

MartinD likes this.
  8. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Booker hasn't been a great defender but he's been good this year. I thought average might be his peak but he's shown he's capable of really going all out defensively. He's no Mikal but he's on par with Cam and Paul defensively this year.

9. Carolinacacti

Carolinacacti Registered

Jae and Paul knew what they were doing coming to the Valley.

10. Finito

Finito Registered

Paul and Cam are good defenders just compared to Bridges they fall short but that’s because Bridges might legit be the best wing defender in the NBA and I don’t think that’s an exaggeration

11. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

I think it’s funny that people are putting so much stock in a tattoo. I’m sure if you checked the tats of every 2-way player in the NBA, they’d have something similar.

12. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I will be thrilled if Ayton puts his focus on defense first. As I recall this what most of us wanted that from him when he was drafted. I don't worry about his offense so much as it will come in time. He has excellent offensive skills but he may not feel as comfortable playing offense.

13. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Registered

Ayton is becoming so much more adept at challenging shots without fouling. Started to see it more last year (guarding Lillard on perimeter comes to mind and forcing miss on long three in crunch time), but it’s really ramped up this year. It’s all about the early footwork; he’s becoming like a really good tennis player is at positioning his body optimally before an action needs to occur.

His foul rate is up slightly, but he’s been far more aggressive. I’ll take that trade.

14. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

[​IMG]

15. ArizonaSportsFan

ArizonaSportsFan Registered User

This is a harsh thread necro, Chris. No one expected this. The OP didn't see it then and now probably does, or has shifted to "Well, let's see it in the playoffs", as many have. I mean for Pete's sake the pundits slobber over Dallas more than Phoenix. Really?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021