"I don't know how to play bad basketball" -- Josh Jackson

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Losing is starting to wear on the young guys. I am not sure if Jackson just doesn't like how he is being used in Kokoskov's system or if he just doesn't want to get better. He showed a lot of promise last year under Triano but maybe Kokoskov is more of a disciplinarian than teacher and Jackson isn't used to that, who knows. Kokoskov was brought in because he is supposed to be an expert at developing talent but so far we haven't seen evidence of that. Don't get me wrong Jackson has a lot of work to do with his game but these two have got to get on the same page otherwise Jackson will eventually force himself out of here and worst case for PHX is he ends up a star somewhere else.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Jackson was saying that we are playing poorly due in large part to a lack of effort and he doesn't know how to play that way. It wasn't a great interview for Josh but all in all I didn't think it was all that bad. Listening to it I had some concerns but I didn't think he really threw anyone under the bus except for maybe Koko (by implication).

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I bet he's had to answer a lot of questions and read critical statements on him, with how much different he looked last year compared to this year. He just has to shut up and let his play do the talking. Swallow your pride and open your ears. He's only sixteen years old. Learn from this. He'll have a long career (here, I hope).

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
Losing is starting to wear on the young guys. I am not sure if Jackson just doesn't like how he is being used in Kokoskov's system or if he just doesn't want to get better. He showed a lot of promise last year under Triano but maybe Kokoskov is more of a disciplinarian than teacher and Jackson isn't used to that, who knows. Kokoskov was brought in because he is supposed to be an expert at developing talent but so far we haven't seen evidence of that. Don't get me wrong Jackson has a lot of work to do with his game but these two have got to get on the same page otherwise Jackson will eventually force himself out of here and worst case for PHX is he ends up a star somewhere else.
Great post..Hopefully JJ is not another Mcdonough failure in the draft.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's been horrible. He was even bad playing against summer league players.

He has the highest turnover rate in the NBA. Turns it over one out of every 4 times he touches it

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jackson is a guy who with the right guidance (probably fueled by giving him harsh truths) can be a phenomenal player. But if he thinks his level of play is acceptable and isn't held accountable for that insanity then he's going to be a poor man's JR Smith.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He seems to think that players are not understanding coaching well and are not where they are supposed to be leading to turnovers. Booker seems to be saying the same thing. It would be interesting to see what players are most often the ones out of place.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He seems to think that players are not understanding coaching well and are not where they are supposed to be leading to turnovers. Booker seems to be saying the same thing. It would be interesting to see what players are most often the ones out of place.
So is he and Booker saying that both of them are exactly where they need to be according to play calls by the coach but the rest of the team isn’t?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So is he and Booker saying that both of them are exactly where they need to be according to play calls by the coach but the rest of the team isn’t?

I don't think that's the case. They are 2 guys who have been moved into a playmaking/point guard type of role now and are looking to get others involved rather than playing their regular game. If players aren't where they need to be then I can understand their frustration but they both have so little experience playing PG that I think it's two-fold, players may not be where they need to but I don't think they know exactly where players need to be in certain situations.

When they've made those comments I don't think they've had a chance to review the film and talk to the coach yet to see if it was on them or the other player but it's much easier to pass the blame onto someone else. When the losses are piling up like they have been that will get more players to pass the buck rather than accept the blame. You see stars accept the blame for losses occasionally but those are players on teams that lose between 20 and 30 games a year rather than 12 of their first 15 games.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last night's blow up at TJ was telling. JJ stepped out along the baseline to bring the ball in, but there was no player there to receive the pass. TJ started back to receive the pass but stopped. I assume he was trying to decided between where he was assigned to be on the floor during an inbound ball and where he needed to be in that particular moment. JJ threw the ball and the pass was stolen.

Problem. No point guard who knows it is his job every time to bring the ball up. I am not sure if Booker or Canaan were in the game at the time. If it was JJ who was supposed to bring the ball up, he should never have been the player making the inbound pass. But for forwards, its just an automatic reaction to step out and make the inbound pass.

So. Whose fault is it?

JJ for bringing the ball in when he should not have.
TJ for not recognizing JJ's situation and coming to his aid.
Whoever was supposed to be playing the pg role at the moment.
Mgmt, for not having a true pg on this team.

All of the above.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So. Whose fault is it?

JJ for bringing the ball in when he should not have.
TJ for not recognizing JJ's situation and coming to his aid.
Whoever was supposed to be playing the pg role at the moment.
Mgmt, for not having a true pg on this team.

All of the above.

It wasn't JJ's fault, he was running out of time and had to make a pass. For whatever reason, TJ left him hanging.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with the mistake. JJ who has played like crap and is in no position to be calling guys out on television.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with the mistake. JJ who has played like crap and is in no position to be calling guys out on television.

I don't care how poorly I had just played or who the other guy was, that would have pissed me off too. And at that moment, JJ isn't calling him out on television, he's simply reacting.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m a Warren guy but he still should have secured the ball to avoid exactly what just happened. At the same time I’m not sure where everyone else was.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Really? You think in the middle of a game like that JJ's first thought should be how not to make a fool of himself on television??

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Saying he did that on television would be accurate if he was getting interviewed on the sideline but not during the game itself. He was playing that way whether there were cameras around or not. He can't be thinking "Oh this game is on TV" because all NBA games air on TV somewhere. That part really does not matter. You hold your teammates accountable for their mistakes.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
we can only hope JJ was substituting "bad" for ****
as in, "i don't know how to play ****"

if he doesn't clearly understand the many flaws he needs to correct
they won't get corrected
is the coach not communicating that to him?
he should know exactly why he's getting less minutes

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saying he did that on television would be accurate if he was getting interviewed on the sideline but not during the game itself. He was playing that way whether there were cameras around or not. He can't be thinking "Oh this game is on TV" because all NBA games air on TV somewhere. That part really does not matter. You hold your teammates accountable for their mistakes.
In the moment JJ was in one of the very frustrating situations in basketball. If you have ever played you have experienced it. Standing to bring the ball in and nobody seems to be paying attention. JJ is quite sensitive about his turnovers and there was nothing he could do differently in the moment.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
In the moment JJ was in one of the very frustrating situations in basketball. If you have ever played you have experienced it. Standing to bring the ball in and nobody seems to be paying attention. JJ is quite sensitive about his turnovers and there was nothing he could do differently in the moment.

He could have called time out if he felt that strongly about it.