I do not like how our OL is shaping up so far

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Jetstream Green, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach Bosa + Chandler Jones

You know you are in trouble when Mason Cole is the bright spot on the O-line. It’s a problem that can’t be fixed through free agency or this draft. We need a creative offense and have brought in the right coaching staff. Unfortunately, there is no Joe Thomas in this draft. Gotta go with the crew that Keim brung us

CFLredzoned likes this.
  2. Solar7

Solar7 Optimist

They're stuck with him for at least two years, and are paying him $21 million dollars in year two. That is at least two years of investment in the player. Who is again, being paid as the best at his position. Do you think he'll really be that good? Come on.

3. fartblossom

fartblossom Registered

The guy just anchored the offensive line of the Super Bowl Champions so I’m cool being “stuck” with him. I’m aware that it’s Brady and Belichick but Trent Brown was a beast for them all year. So yes the thought of Brown who’s in his prime being coached by Kulger and protecting Josh Rosen is appealing. Marcus Gilbert is 31 and finshed his last 2 seasons on IR.

4. BigRedRage

BigRedRage We are not getting rid of Rosen Contributor

I can't get past "just in case keim comes here"

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

azsouthendzone, cwamjn and Dayman like this.
  5. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

Well, you are just setting yourself up for perpetual disappointment if you expect this franchise to ever "fix" the offensive line. We have stumbled into a couple of decent ones, but man, what an abysmal history. I don't take what the team does with the line very seriously. It is more like the annual question is, "Can the Arizona Cardinals improve other parts of the team to a degree where they compensate for what will be a below average offensive line?"

I will say this is a crappy looking draft for olinemen. So, adding what we did in free agency is at least logical.

Shane likes this.
  6. TJ

TJ Captain Steal Yo Girl

Chuck Norris keeps one eye open for Kyler Murray in his sleep.

7. Dayman

Dayman Registered

This line will always be problematic until we learn how to draft and develop O-linemen correctly. The line should at least be above average by now, considering all of the resources that have been dumped into it the last few years. Instead, people are lauding Mason Cole as a building block for the future, which kind of baffles me after watching him getting shoved off the ball all year.

Sean Kulger is probably the biggest addition to the line we will make this season. If he is everything we hear he is and can actually start developing young guys into solid players, the free agent stopgaps will be of little importance. If he can't, we will continue to riddle through the JR Sweezeys of the league every offseason. Getting guys without extensive injury histories would also help.

8. cardpa

cardpa I'm all right

While a blitzing LB takes his head off.

9. TRW

TRW Registered

Nah...he's so short he won't even have to duck...

Shane likes this.
  10. CFLredzoned

CFLredzoned Dippin' and Rippin'

That's the part that bothers me. Nobody stands out. You'd like to have at least one probowler on your OL. Of course those guys rarely come in FA, so you have to draft them. So yeah, you do just have to roll with what you have and throw bodies at it.

Timm Rosenbach likes this.
  11. BACH

BACH Superbowl, Homeboy!

Fair enough..

But what are the options at this point?

O-Linemen are increasingly becoming a scarce resource in the league. Considering the amount of money being thrown at very average O-linemen in Free Agency, I think Keim is acting very smart. I will, however, point solely on him not prioritizing O-linemen in the first half draft.

12. Cardsmasochist

Cardsmasochist Registered

The Patriots were able to figure it out a long time ago....

The five most commonly used linemen this season for New England were left tackle Trent Brown, left guard Joe Thuney, center David Andrews, right guard Shaq Mason and right tackle Marcus Cannon. That quintet combined to start 75 of a possible 80 games along the offensive line. Here's how the Patriots acquired those players:
    Brown, a former seventh-round pick of the 49ers in 2015, was acquired last offseason as part of a pick swap. The Patriots sent the No. 95 overall pick in the 2018 draft to San Francisco in exchange for Brown and the No. 143 pick, which is essentially like giving up a mid-fourth round pick for a starting left tackle.
    Thuney was a third-round pick in 2016. He has started all 48 regular-season games for the Patriots since that point.
    Andrews was signed as an undrafted free agent out of Georgia in 2015. He made the team out of camp and started right away, and has started 57 of a possible 64 games since.
    Mason was selected with a 2015 fourth-round pick. He played as part of a rotation during the early part of his rookie season before sliding into the lineup for good, and has blossomed into one of the very best guards in the league.
    Cannon was a fifth-round pick in 2011 who started a grand total of 11 games in his first four years. He slid into the lineup for an injured starter in 2015 and never gave up the spot, and has started every game that he has been healthy over the past four seasons.
    That's a full offensive line built out of mid- and late-round picks. That's pretty ridiculous in and of itself. But that group was not sieve-like, which you would expect such a unit to be. Rather, it was arguably the single best line in the league this season, ranking third in Adjusted Line Yards, first in Adjusted Sack Rate and third in pressure rate. All for the ridiculously low cost of just $14,539,489 against the cap. By way of comparison, consider the Chargers, who took on a cap hit of $14,968,750 this year for just left tackle Russell Okung, who gave up more sacks during the Chargers' divisional round loss to the Patriots (one) than the Patriots have all postseason.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-as-its-ever-been-and-thats-saying-something/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. RON_IN_OC

RON_IN_OC http://ronevansrealty.com

Can it really be worse than last year?[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

14. azsouthendzone

azsouthendzone Registered

I hope to hell he doesn't do either of these things.

15. azsouthendzone

azsouthendzone Registered

So many people on here are going to look like fools come the fall. We really need to put together an archive of all of the posts doubting Kyler to look back and laugh.