I do not like how our OL is shaping up so far

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If Sean Kugler is the great line coach he has been billed as, that alone will mean significant improvement for our offensive line. Louis Riddick said on ESPN the other day, that offensive line coach may be the second most important coach on an NFL staff.

Max Starks said Kugler was the second best oline coach he encountered.

He placed Kugler right below the Munchak tier.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our starters actually have back up potential
Definitely we need 2 lineman in round 2 and 3

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Everyone local media guy said the same thing about Ray Brown that is being said about Sean Kugler. Fans fall for it every time.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The Patriots were able to figure it out a long time ago....

The five most commonly used linemen this season for New England were left tackle Trent Brown, left guard Joe Thuney, center David Andrews, right guard Shaq Mason and right tackle Marcus Cannon. That
The Patriots were able to figure it out a long time ago....

The five most commonly used linemen this season for New England were left tackle Trent Brown, left guard Joe Thuney, center David Andrews, right guard Shaq Mason and right tackle Marcus Cannon. That quintet combined to start 75 of a possible 80 games along the offensive line. Here's how the Patriots acquired those players:
Brown, a former seventh-round pick of the 49ers in 2015, was acquired last offseason as part of a pick swap. The Patriots sent the No. 95 overall pick in the 2018 draft to San Francisco in exchange for Brown and the No. 143 pick, which is essentially like giving up a mid-fourth round pick for a starting left tackle.
Thuney was a third-round pick in 2016. He has started all 48 regular-season games for the Patriots since that point.
Andrews was signed as an undrafted free agent out of Georgia in 2015. He made the team out of camp and started right away, and has started 57 of a possible 64 games since.
Mason was selected with a 2015 fourth-round pick. He played as part of a rotation during the early part of his rookie season before sliding into the lineup for good, and has blossomed into one of the very best guards in the league.
Cannon was a fifth-round pick in 2011 who started a grand total of 11 games in his first four years. He slid into the lineup for an injured starter in 2015 and never gave up the spot, and has started every game that he has been healthy over the past four seasons.
That's a full offensive line built out of mid- and late-round picks. That's pretty ridiculous in and of itself. But that group was not sieve-like, which you would expect such a unit to be. Rather, it was arguably the single best line in the league this season, ranking third in Adjusted Line Yards, first in Adjusted Sack Rate and third in pressure rate. All for the ridiculously low cost of just $14,539,489 against the cap. By way of comparison, consider the Chargers, who took on a cap hit of $14,968,750 this year for just left tackle Russell Okung, who gave up more sacks during the Chargers' divisional round loss to the Patriots (one) than the Patriots have all postseason.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-as-its-ever-been-and-thats-saying-something/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

along the offensive line. Here's how the Patriots acquired those players:
Brown, a former seventh-round pick of the 49ers in 2015, was acquired last offseason as part of a pick swap. The Patriots sent the No. 95 overall pick in the 2018 draft to San Francisco in exchange for Brown and the No. 143 pick, which is essentially like giving up a mid-fourth round pick for a starting left tackle.
Thuney was a third-round pick in 2016. He has started all 48 regular-season games for the Patriots since that point.
Andrews was signed as an undrafted free agent out of Georgia in 2015. He made the team out of camp and started right away, and has started 57 of a possible 64 games since.
Mason was selected with a 2015 fourth-round pick. He played as part of a rotation during the early part of his rookie season before sliding into the lineup for good, and has blossomed into one of the very best guards in the league.
Cannon was a fifth-round pick in 2011 who started a grand total of 11 games in his first four years. He slid into the lineup for an injured starter in 2015 and never gave up the spot, and has started every game that he has been healthy over the past four seasons.
That's a full offensive line built out of mid- and late-round picks. That's pretty ridiculous in and of itself. But that group was not sieve-like, which you would expect such a unit to be. Rather, it was arguably the single best line in the league this season, ranking third in Adjusted Line Yards, first in Adjusted Sack Rate and third in pressure rate. All for the ridiculously low cost of just $14,539,489 against the cap. By way of comparison, consider the Chargers, who took on a cap hit of $14,968,750 this year for just left tackle Russell Okung, who gave up more sacks during the Chargers' divisional round loss to the Patriots (one) than the Patriots have all postseason.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-as-its-ever-been-and-thats-saying-something/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Being able to field a OL which is able to play for a majority of the games and stays together to form a rapport goes a long way

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I like what they are doing so far. The FA cupboard was really bare and we still made a couple decent additions. Add in a midround guard(Lindstrom?) and a later round OT and we should be good to go.
There should also be more experienced vets dropped/cut/released as the season progresses due to salary cap issues...and promising young guys released as roster cuts come down

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
But kugler showed what he can do in Pittsburg and Denver. I’m going to side with optimism.
I agree. Brown only had success with one team...Kugler has shown it isnt just a fluke where one or two guys over achieved

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
But kugler showed what he can do in Pittsburg and Denver. I’m going to side with optimism.
I agree. Brown only had success with one team...Kugler has shown it isnt just a fluke where one or two guys over achieved

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Sure. you give a good logical reason. (just for gigs) I am going to guess most here had a logical reasoning last year about Ray Brown too no?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure. you give a good logical reason. (just for gigs) I am going to guess most here had a logical reasoning last year about Ray Brown too no?
Perhaps, but I don’t remember anyone falling all over Brown being our o-line coach. Plus he loses a bit of credibility if Wilks had anything to do with his hire.

thightower34

Rookie
Reaction score
Interesting .I wonder is how many OLINE picks did the Patriots make that didn`t have any impact or where gone after a year or two.Its not likely they hit on every trade or draft pick.
New England has started 41 different players along the offensive line since 2001.

I wonder how many offensive linemen have started for the Cardinals over the past 17 years.

The Cardinals had 10 different lineups last year alone along the offensive line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: