I cant see how anyone can say that Josh Allen is a top QB prospect

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Assuming we don't have to trade away the next three years of important draft picks to go up and get him. There's a reason most players are available, be it talent or cost. Draft picks are important.
we have 4 or 5 thirds this year dont we??
I would be more than content trading maybe 2 of those thirds and next years first in order to swap firsts into the top 3 picks...
unless you get luck, franchise QB's are gonna cost you in the draft...either an o-fer season, or draft picks...I would rather trade some draft picks than live through an o-fer season... because every time we get close,...there is some team who sucks more and we win a couple meaningless games....
I would give PP21 to move up as a pick swap... or PP21 and a second to just buy the pick so we have two first rounders this year...hehe...pick a QB with the first one and anothr cb with the other,.....as long as the team is certain the QB they are getting is "the" guy

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
we have 4 or 5 thirds this year dont we??
I would be more than content trading maybe 2 of those thirds and next years first in order to swap firsts into the top 3 picks...
unless you get luck, franchise QB's are gonna cost you in the draft...either an o-fer season, or draft picks...I would rather trade some draft picks than live through an o-fer season... because every time we get close,...there is some team who sucks more and we win a couple meaningless games....
I would give PP21 to move up as a pick swap... or PP21 and a second to just buy the pick so we have two first rounders this year...hehe...pick a QB with the first one and anothr cb with the other,.....as long as the team is certain the QB they are getting is "the" guy

We only have three players in my opinion which we could trade for a quick jump in the draft and one is PP21, while the others are Chandler Jones and David Johnson. Peterson is as close as you are going to get to a shut down corner and those are very hard to find, would not trade him. Jones is in the mix for the sack title, pass rushers of his caliber are hard to find and I would not trade him. David Johnson is a great running back and maybe one day a Hall Of Famer but running backs are not that difficult to find and you do not need a Hall Of Famer to win. I frankly would not trade any of those guys but rather offer picks which are gambles anyways for a gamble since a young QB is hard to predict and he is no certainty no matter how well you scout in my opinion

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Only issue is you will be, like with Palmer, shackled by that contract for 4 or 5 seasons. It is a slippery slope and risky at best. Same thing with a Garappolo type situation the 49ers will face.

Not sure it's any riskier than signing some other less expensive vet to bridge to a draftee that MAY be QBOF but they will be out a whole lot less money if the young guy doesn't pan out.

But, then, you are starting from scratch again...oh the pain, the pain...

I have no clue what the best way to go is.
Qb's cost money. I have no problem paying Cousins top 5 money. There are always ways around the cap be it structure, changing it a signing bonus, etc. Like Chopper said, he'd be a good fit with certainty and you don't know what you'll get from a rookie. Plus, if you do get a rook to perform, you're paying him top dollar in a few years so that's a moot point to me.

Where teams get lucky is when guys like Russell Wilson show up out of nowhere and you get 3-4 years of cap heaven because your QB is making little in comparison.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Qb's cost money. I have no problem paying Cousins top 5 money. There are always ways around the cap be it structure, changing it a signing bonus, etc. Like Chopper said, he'd be a good fit with certainty and you don't know what you'll get from a rookie. Plus, if you do get a rook to perform, you're paying him top dollar in a few years so that's a moot point to me.

Where teams get lucky is when guys like Russell Wilson show up out of nowhere and you get 3-4 years of cap heaven because your QB is making little in comparison.
It would be much easier for us to pay good FAs for other positions like the OL & WR which could possibly bring us back to contention much quicker. How is that a moot point?

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
It would be much easier for us to pay good FAs for other positions like the OL & WR which could possibly bring us back to contention much quicker. How is that a moot point?

I agree and I still want that franchise edge which only comes from a QB with that magic something, that penchant for winning which you cannot have a tangible explanation. Wilson, Rodgers, Brady all have that trait. Watson taps into that too when on the field. Does Carson have that, no. When on he is great but 'wow in the clutch' is not in genes so to speak and he has always had the physical skill, but he does not have the magic. Warner had that special something. Does Cousin have that? No, he does not. I do not want this team filling the position with above average if there is a shot at special. That one guy which can carry you and beat teams at times all by their freaking self. The guy with two minutes left and down by a score which the defense even knows it does not matter, they are not going to stop him. As a franchise I want us to try for special... I want magic because this franchise with the way the ball bounces for us is paramount, we need to tip the scale so to speak lol

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Because they're very unlikely to be in a position to contend with a rookie QB, and won't be, until his 3rd-5th year in the league and that's when he'll be in line for a major contract extension. So, they'd be in the same boat as paying Cousins now. That's assuming the QB pans out.

Where as now, you sign Cousins and can fill other spots, like OL/WR/CB, through the draft which is much easier than filling the QBOF.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because they're very unlikely to be in a position to contend with a rookie QB, and won't be, until his 3rd-5th year in the league and that's when he'll be in line for a major contract extension. So, they'd be in the same boat as paying Cousins now. That's assuming the QB pans out.

Where as now, you sign Cousins and can fill other spots, like OL/WR/CB, through the draft which is much easier than filling the QBOF.
Wentz & Gof are in the their 2nd year & their teams are in contention. Seahawks contended with Russell in his rookie year. Redskins contended with RG3 in his rookie year. Cowboys contended with Dak in his rookie year. All teams that had major holes before drafting their franchise QB. That doesn’t look “very unlikely” to me.

If we sign Cousins, we won’t have the cap to sign top FAs, or at least it will be a lot harder to sign them. With Keim’s trackrecord when it comes to drafting OL, I’d MUCH rather him signing FA OL instead of drafting them.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

The reality of signing Cousins is that it makes Larry viable for another year. I don't understand why he signed an extension, but we're set to have him. With a rookie QB, we're essentially resigning ourselves to not competing.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer a great rookie to anything, but I don't want to waste the next 2 drafts to do it. If someone falls to within a range where we can move up and use some of our extra capital this year, count me in.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
The reality of signing Cousins is that it makes Larry viable for another year. I don't understand why he signed an extension, but we're set to have him. With a rookie QB, we're essentially resigning ourselves to not competing.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer a great rookie to anything, but I don't want to waste the next 2 drafts to do it. If someone falls to within a range where we can move up and use some of our extra capital this year, count me in.

So you want to have your cake and eat it too :)

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score

Agree. I'm not against drafting a QB, and that's likely the route the Cards go, but I prefer going with the guy who has shown he can play at a high level in the NFL.

I would guess the Cards will enter next season with Palmer under center and draft a QB to redshirt a year and I'd be fine with that. That way you're not wasting Larry's last year and with some improvements/return to health, the Cards can easily contend for a playoff spot.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Wentz & Gof are in the their 2nd year & their teams are in contention. Seahawks contended with Russell in his rookie year. Redskins contended with RG3 in his rookie year. Cowboys contended with Dak in his rookie year. All teams that had major holes before drafting their franchise QB. That doesn’t look “very unlikely” to me.

If we sign Cousins, we won’t have the cap to sign top FAs, or at least it will be a lot harder to sign them. With Keim’s trackrecord when it comes to drafting OL, I’d MUCH rather him signing FA OL instead of drafting them.
Those are good points but you'd still be wasting a year of Larry and a veteran roster. Prescott has fallen back to earth and we'll see if Goff/Wentz continue their success, which I think they will.

The Cards could also fall into the Jaxsonville mode where it takes years to contend mainly because of missing on a high profile QB. I think there's only 1 QB that fits the Goff/Wentz mold and that's Rosen. But, I don't see any way Cleveland passes on him.

OP
OP
Vacard

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agree with Cbus points. We have a win-now roster and Cousins automatically elivate this team back to contention. BA can unlock his true potential and Cousins could thrive in his system. I would rather sign him and go with the top lineman/cb in the draft and trade down for more capital. I do not trust this franchise drafting a qb for the future as we seen what qb’s they like (Thomas). He’ll break the bank but get the guy who is proven.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree with Cbus points. We have a win-now roster and Cousins automatically elivate this team back to contention. BA can unlock his true potential and Cousins could thrive in his system. I would rather sign him and go with the top lineman/cb in the draft and trade down for more capital. I do not trust this franchise drafting a qb for the future as we seen what qb’s they like (Thomas). He’ll break the bank but get the guy who is proven.
Nah, we have a” Most of our key players are washed up so we badly need to rebuild for the future” roster.

OP
OP
Vacard

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nah, we have a” Most of our key players are washed up so we badly need to rebuild for the future” roster.
It’s not the personnel it’s the coaching. A good coach makes this team a contender. A good draft would make us be right back in it with Cousins as the qb.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
There are some many reasons not to support settling for above average to remain competitive when this team needs to be reworked for a year so then they can actually be capable of winning a championship. A bunch of rookies in their first year is not going to help Kaka Kirk win a Super Bowl and we are not the Fitzgerald Cardinals but a ongoing franchise. We have enough pieces right now that we could rebuild with what we have, draft a dynamic young QB and possibly steam roll opponents rather than scratch out wins for a wildcard ticket. I want a winning franchise defined by winning the big dance without having a curfew... in today's NFL it only takes a year of retooling, I can endure this and root with positive enthusiasm :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. I'm not against drafting a QB, and that's likely the route the Cards go, but I prefer going with the guy who has shown he can play at a high level in the NFL.

I would guess the Cards will enter next season with Palmer under center and draft a QB to redshirt a year and I'd be fine with that. That way you're not wasting Larry's last year and with some improvements/return to health, the Cards can easily contend for a playoff spot.

Lol... another year older, bringing back basically the exact same meh as the last two seasons and we can easily contend for a playoff spot? You can keep telling yourself but my lord I hope the Cardinals Arent listening.

OP
OP
Vacard

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lol... another year older, bringing back basically the exact same meh as the last two seasons and we can easily contend for a playoff spot? You can keep telling yourself but my lord I hope the Cardinals Arent listening.
Bring in Cousins, stock up on capital in the draft, and watch us be in the playoffs.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m watching the Skins-Chargers game & I really do NOT want Cousins as our QB, especially with the pay he’s going to get. Please no God. He’s so average to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose