I can be objective about the Lakers. And, objectively speaking,

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
I found this article on ESPN today. I couldn't stop laughing. I thought this would bring perspective to the history of both teams. What a way to get nostalgic a day before the series. This one's for you DONALD!;)...enjoy!

THE SPORTS GUY
I say they suck.

by Bill Simmons
You must be registered for see images attach

I mean, Celtics-Lakers? Really?

When I woke up this morning, I half expected to see posters of Eddie Murphy's "Delirious" concert, Larry Bird's milk growth chart (don't ask) and the eternally underrated Heather Thomas hanging on my walls. Actually, I thought this would make for a cool column: me remembering my 1984 bedroom decor, singing Larry Legend's praises, taking potshots at Kareem and Magic, insulting Lakers fans and hitting Send.

My editors, though, objected. They claim that, of the 144 columns I've written for The Magazine, 314 have involved one of my beloved Boston teams. I thought that number seemed a bit high. We haggled. I threatened to quit. They FedExed me a resignation letter with a yellow "Sign Here" sticky on it. We haggled some more. Eventually, they allowed me to write about the biggest Celtics-Lakers rivalry myths—if I remained "objective."

I agreed, if only because I didn't want to blow Chad Johnson's Pulitzer. So without further ado …

Myth: It's the NBA's best and longest rivalry.
Truth: Boston beat L.A. for the title eight straight times before falling in 1985. If that's a long-standing rivalry, so is Tom vs. Jerry, Andy vs. The Sistas and hammer vs. nail. Isn't it more of a "recent rivalry that was once a relentless butt-whupping"?

Myth: It's an East Coast/West Coast thing.
Truth: Actually, Boston swept the Minneapolis Lakers in 1959. Owner Bob Short moved the Lakers two years later, robbing Minnesota of two legends—Elgin Baylor, Jerry West—and starting five decades of sports agony. Making matters worse, the L.A. Lakers was the dumbest team name for nearly 20 years, until the Jazz relocated to Utah. If you root for the Lakers, you not only implicitly support nonsensical team names, you've helped to desecrate Minnesota sports.

Myth: The 1962 Lakers were a wide-open 15-footer from toppling Bill Russell's Celtics.
Truth: You know who took the shot? Frank Selvy. (Who? Exactly.) Should Selvy be deciding your season when you have West and Baylor? I say no. Stupid teams shouldn't win titles.

Myth: L.A. is a flashy franchise with celebrity fans named Jack and Leo, while blue-collar Boston makes do with fans named Murph and Sully.
Truth: That changed when the Big Dig was finished, downtown Boston suddenly became cool, and relaxed tax laws coaxed Hollywood into making movies in Massachusetts. During these playoffs, DiCaprio, Tom Brady, Denis Leary, Ben Affleck, the Wahlbergs, Gisele, Jay-Z and Beyoncé, Bruce Willis and Grey (the one with the show about her anatomy) took in games at the new Garden. Sure, they were heckled by drunks named Murph and Sully. But things are looking up. Boston even has bars with drinks that cost more than $5.50 now.

Myth: Kevin McHale's clothesline of Kurt Rambis turned around the 1984 Finals.
Truth: When Rambis hopped up for revenge, peacemaker James Worthy swooped in and inexplicably shoved Rambis into the Laker Girls. Way to help out, James! Ask Worthy to jumpstart your car, and he'd fry you with the jumper cables. Anyway, that was the moment things turned around.

Myth: Magic won the rubber match with Bird in 1987.

Truth: Hold on, my editors are still electroshocking me for the joke I was about to make. [zaaaaap!] OK, we're good. Yes, it's true that Bird beat L.A. once ('84) and Magic beat Boston twice ('85, '87). But when Bird and the 1986 Celts were peaking, L.A. avoided a guaranteed shellacking by getting "upset" by the young Rockets. That's a forfeit win for Boston, bringing the tally to Bird 2, Magic 2.

Corollary myth: Magic beat Boston twice.
Truth: Actually, it was Kareem who killed Boston in 1985, cruising to the Finals MVP. After Magic choked away the previous Finals (no, really—look it up), he was happy to turn things over to the Big Fella. Can you give him credit for that? No way. Including the forfeit, that makes the new Finals score: Bird 2, Magic 1. I'm glad I'm here.

Myth: In the '80s, white Americans supported the Celts, and African-Americans supported the Lakers.

Truth: The Showtime Lakers were definitely a flashier team, exemplified by Worthy's signature tomahawk dunk and Magic's near quadruple-double average in the 1982 Finals (18 points, 11 assists, 9.5 rebounds, 12 women a game). And the C's were definitely a dorkier team, exemplified by Bird's blond Afro-mullet—which did make him a hero in the white-trash states—and McHale and Bill Walton whiffing on 47.8 percent of their high fives in 1986. That said, isn't it racist to assume blacks gravitated to L.A. and whites gravitated to Boston just because Spike Lee blasphemed Larry Legend in "Do the Right Thing"? The only thing we know for sure is that, besides Lakers fans, everyone despised that ninny Kareem. If anything, he transcended race and united the country.

Myth: Playing in a Garden with no AC in 1984, the Lakers needed oxygen masks to survive a humid Game 5.

Truth: Whoops. This one is true.

Myth: There's a glaring difference between Celtics home games and Lakers home games.
Truth: Not since Boston embraced air-conditioning—not to mention cheerleaders, luxury suites, T-shirt cannons, overpriced tickets and scoreboards costing more than $250—after closing the Garden, in 1995. Throw in the heavy hitters, and it's not really sooo different from a Lakers game. Well, except for two exceptions: Boston fans show up before tip-off (not during the second quarter); and they'd never bolt close games to beat traffic. Just sayin'.

Myth: Half of the rivalry's appeal has to do with the magnificent clash of uniform colors.
Truth: It's actually closer to 75 percent. For stoners, watching a Celts-Lakers game in HD is like staring at a 50-foot fish tank.

Myth: L.A. and Boston get all the breaks.
Truth:
Au contraire! The Lakers somehow acquired Wilt and Kareem in the first two three-$5-bills-for-a-$100-bill trades in NBA history. They swapped a fading Gail Goodrich for two No. 1's (one of whom became Magic). They traded journeyman Don Ford for a future No. 1 (James Worthy). In 1995, free agency rules mysteriously changed one year before Shaq became a free agent, and L.A. just happened to stumble into a ton of cap space. And 2008 was the year of the Pau Gasol hijacking. Wait, that deserves its own myth.

Myth: L.A. and Boston were reborn this season with two legal megadeals.
Truth:
At least the Celts gave up Al Jefferson for KG. How was the Gasol trade legal? If I kill my mailman and no one ever finds out, does that make it legal? Jerry West's old team (Memphis) gift-wrapped its best player for the team that once employed West for 40 years, taking back a pupu platter (Kwame Brown, a third-string guard and two crappy picks). This happened even though the Lakers' season would have been over without a center. Had this trade taken place in a fantasy league, it would have led to three weeks of vicious e-mails, crumbled friendships, guys quitting and maybe even a fistfight. In the NBA, it led to the Lakers being presented the 2008 Western Conference trophy by … yup, a crying Jerry West. The NBA, where chicanery happens.

(Sorry, Chad—I tried my best.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3422313

nowagimp

Reaction score
This part is so true and I observed it all, stunned:

Myth: L.A. and Boston get all the breaks.
Truth:
Au contraire! The Lakers somehow acquired Wilt and Kareem in the first two three-$5-bills-for-a-$100-bill trades in NBA history. They swapped a fading Gail Goodrich for two No. 1's (one of whom became Magic). They traded journeyman Don Ford for a future No. 1 (James Worthy). In 1995, free agency rules mysteriously changed one year before Shaq became a free agent, and L.A. just happened to stumble into a ton of cap space. And 2008 was the year of the Pau Gasol hijacking. Wait, that deserves its own myth.

Myth: L.A. and Boston were reborn this season with two legal megadeals.
Truth:
At least the Celts gave up Al Jefferson for KG. How was the Gasol trade legal? If I kill my mailman and no one ever finds out, does that make it legal? Jerry West's old team (Memphis) gift-wrapped its best player for the team that once employed West for 40 years, taking back a pupu platter (Kwame Brown, a third-string guard and two crappy picks). This happened even though the Lakers' season would have been over without a center. Had this trade taken place in a fantasy league, it would have led to three weeks of vicious e-mails, crumbled friendships, guys quitting and maybe even a fistfight. In the NBA, it led to the Lakers being presented the 2008 Western Conference trophy by … yup, a crying Jerry West. The NBA, where chicanery happens.

Yeah the NBA isnt rigged, and nixon had no tapes erased.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read it yesterday. Bill Simmons is a douchebag and always will be.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Actually, I have a serious question. Do you think there is any chance something fishy happened with the gasol trade (mainly west's role)?

If push came to shove I would say no, but damn the lakers go from good team with a chance at a title to probably the favorite for the next four years.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Thank you Bill Simmons for not falling into the same trap all the rest of the national media did

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ooops, beat you to that already.

I fully admit I'm a Boston fan hater. Always have been, always will be. And yes, I'm going to hate.

Since I called that to attention a few days ago, your clever realization is a big swing and miss.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Bill Simmons for not falling into the same trap all the rest of the national media did

Dude...he chugs boston junk for breakfast. He didn't "not fall in a trap." Dude is simply making his homerbrain go into overdrive. And no, the article is lightly factual with a sprinkle of asshat added for flavor.

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
Nice read. So true for the Gasol part. The Lakers deserve a bigger asteriks than the 99 Spurs for their (WC) Championship.

Trophytown

Registered
Reaction score
Nice read. So true for the Gasol part. The Lakers deserve a bigger asteriks than the 99 Spurs for their (WC) Championship.

A title with an * is better than "________ " (emptiness) and no asterisk.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude...he chugs boston junk for breakfast. He didn't "not fall in a trap." Dude is simply making his homerbrain go into overdrive. And no, the article is lightly factual with a sprinkle of asshat added for flavor.

Wow.. And you arent doing the exact same thing? Yet your talking to a bunch of Suns fans while doing it.. That part really makes no sense..

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I say they suck.
by Bill Simmons

I stopped reading right there. Simmons objective about the Lakers?

That's rich.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow.. And you arent doing the exact same thing? Yet your talking to a bunch of Suns fans while doing it.. That part really makes no sense..

Wow. Incredible that you care so much about what I post. My own personal fan club.

Perhaps you missed the part where I am completely devoid of any objectivity when it comes to the celtics. :shrug:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pretty much. But I'm not writing national articles for ESPN about how big of a homer for my teams I am ..that would be Simmons and his erection for the Patriots, Red Sox and Celtics. Do you have a logical point, or are you just really so sick of Internet bravado that you've taken up Internet bravado as a hobby?

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Incredible that you care so much about what I post. My own personal fan club.

Perhaps you missed the part where I am completely devoid of any objectivity when it comes to the celtics. :shrug:

And it now begins.. The age old tactic of a preceived fan club on the net.. I could never be a part of your fan club.. I dont kiss your butt..

And yes Im aware you hate the celtics which was exactly why I posted what I did.. This is a Suns board filled with Suns fans that dont care who you hate.. Im sure there is a lakers board somewhere out there that shares your beliefs..

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And it now begins.. The age old tactic of a preceived fan club on the net.. I could never be a part of your fan club.. I dont kiss your butt..

And yes Im aware you hate the celtics which was exactly why I posted what I did.. This is a Suns board filled with Suns fans that dont care who you hate.. Im sure there is a lakers board somewhere out there that shares your beliefs..

You follow me around like a puppy. I don't need you kissing my butt to see you shadowing my every move.

If you didn't care who I hate, I'm sure you wouldn't be running around pretending to be the world's biggest Celtic fan. You let the Laker fans here get under your skin to the point you not only cheer for a team, but you associate them with your identity on the site. Wow, Mr. Arizona Fan...that's some serious stuff. When does your Celtic Gee Jersey arrive? I think your antics are pretty funny...the irony is so thick you could cut it with a butter knife.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson