I bought a guitar

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They, uh, live in Canada. That's why you wouldn't know them. Yeah, that's it. Tons of friends there! I can't even count them, there's so many!

That PRS is gorgeous!
Can confirm.

(Sorry, haven’t checked out this thread in a while.)

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hmm, not sure how I missed this earlier.

I was just kind of joking about my refusal to acknowledge I may have a gear acquisition problem. Very few have died as a result, so I'll probably just keep on keepin' on.

Pedals on the Fly Rig is a question nightmares are made of, but I'll take a stab.

My longtime favorite pedal is mentioned earlier in this thread and was designed and built by my amp tech, Lowell Hunt. It's called the 30-Volt by Freaking Sick Electronics. Huge Marshall in a box tone with tons of gain on tap that feels like a tube amp and responds brilliantly to the guitar's volume knob.

My second favorite just arrived. It's called the Anna by Wren and Cuff. It's two circuits in one, an Op-amp style fuzz and a soft-clipping drive with multiple clipping modes. Goes from light crunch to out of control fuzz your face off. So fun and versatile.

Boss CE-2W chorus. Just the best I've found for that sound. The Waza version edged my vintage one off the board just because it sounds the same but it's totally reliable. The CE-1 circuit is also in this and it's great too.

For delay I really like my Wampler Faux Tape Echo V1. Puts a really neat distortion on the repeats that sounds very realistic to the old tape echo units.

Last one I'll need is also a recent purchase. TC Electronic's Hall of Fame Reverb II. This is a stellar reverb for the money. All the modes you could want. True stereo output, and TC's really cool 'Mash' feature which can best be explained by listening. Super innovative stuff from those guys. The Tone Print feature is amazing too. Highly recommended.

It would be painful, but I think I could get through a show with just those pedals.
Funny thing is I’ve changed my own answer, of course… Lately I’m just running a tremolo with the amp’s reverb. I really like the HoF though: lots of options and a tone knob. I’ve been really wanting a Surfybear reverb but might need to sell a couple things first.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@puckhead my daughter has a purple Ibanez SA series that she'd like to sell along with a small Fender amp. I plan on putting it on offerup or somewhere but I have no idea what it's worth. It's like brand new. She used it about a dozen times & then set it aside. She has a strap & stand that goes with it. Any idea of a starting price? Don't really care how much she gets but doesn't want to give it away. I'll put some pics up later in the for sale section but I'm just looking for advice on value. I appreciate your help puck!

By the way, what is the name of your band & when do you play again? We'd both like to come out sometime & watch you play. ;)

Does the guitar look like this?

Would need the model number of the Fender to give you a reasonable value. Typically, the small practice amps aren't worth a lot, but they do add value to a beginner as a starter package.

No band since the plague started and one of our members moved to Colorado. I'll be hitting the open mic circuit again pretty soon though. I'll try and give you a heads up if I remember! Been working on a couple sets with my guitar instructor.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First tune I learned to play was "Secret Agent Man". Learned to play on a Silvertone guitar. Ran through a number of axes over the years, in order, Silverstone, Fender Mustang, Mosrite Ventures model, Hagstrom acoustic/electric, Les Paul Custom and Ibanez RG series. I also purchased a cheap knockoff guitar while I was in Thailand but sold it before I came home. Soundwise, the LP was kick ass, but I have never played a guitar with better action than the Mosrite.

Arthritis in my hands makes it impossible to play anymore.... :sad:

Nice collection of guitars there!

Bummed to hear about the arthritis, though.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice collection of guitars there!

Bummed to hear about the arthritis, though.

Yeah, sucks indeed. I spend about 40 minutes every evening with my portalbe TENS/EMS device, shocking the crap out of my thumbs.

Anyway.... With the exception of the Silverton guitar, great memories with each axe.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@puckhead shows up at Guitar Center in the Burque looking for open mic...

Actually is Burque store..

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because I was going to do Wonderwall for the fourth time is no reason to get physical.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I invested in a Vox AC30 amp several months ago. Upgraded the tubes to a set of Mullard EL84's. LOVE LOVE LOVE the tone out of that thing.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I invested in a Vox AC30 amp several months ago. Upgraded the tubes to a set of Mullard EL84's. LOVE LOVE LOVE the tone out of that thing.

The clean tones out of those are legendary. There's also some guy named Brian May who was able to coax a pretty decent driven sound as well from those bad boys.

5/5 pucks awarded on the choice. :thumbup:

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
The clean tones out of those are legendary. There's also some guy named Brian May who was able to coax a pretty decent driven sound as well from those bad boys.

5/5 pucks awarded on the choice. :thumbup:

Some guy named The Edge gets some pretty interesting sounds from them too.

The amp will be on display in all it's glory this weekend at two sold out shows in San Pedro!

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@puckhead

I have a question for you, please. I want to buy a looper but I don't want to go to a music store and not even know what to ask for... all I really want it for is to record a bass and/or rhythm track to play over... or lay down a bass track and then add a rhythm over it for someone else to play to. What I've read online says I can do this but they get into more complicated stuff and I don't need that.

Any help would be appreciated.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@puckhead

I have a question for you, please. I want to buy a looper but I don't want to go to a music store and not even know what to ask for... all I really want it for is to record a bass and/or rhythm track to play over... or lay down a bass track and then add a rhythm over it for someone else to play to. What I've read online says I can do this but they get into more complicated stuff and I don't need that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Loopers are a great practice and creative tool for guitarists. There is a learning curve, but it's not that steep. Once you understand the basic functions, you will then be challenged with connecting your loops which involves accurate timing. That sounds a little intimidating, and it will frustrate you the first time you go at it, but you will be rewarded for your patience.

Loopers have a whole range of price levels and typically, the more you spend, the more options you get, higher fidelity, and bigger memory.

Some options would include stereo operation, built-in rhythm tracks, USB connection for putting songs on the looper or for pulling your own loops off of the pedal. And on, and on...

Now, all that said, YouTube is your friend. I think we've discussed JustinGuitar's channel before, and he's got a great primer here:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

After you watch that, I think you'll have a better idea of what you're after and what options are most important now and possibly what might be nice to have in the future. He's using a Ditto which a buddy of mine has had for years and he loves it. I very much appreciate the built-in "stop" button in that model.

Personally, I love my Boss RC-3 with added FS-7 footswitch. The footswitch adds a dedicated stop button which I prefer. It's discontinued and the modern equivalent looks to be the RC-5. Boss pedals are famously tough as nails, easy to use, and sound great. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Justin mentions in his videos that buying secondhand is usually pretty easy as long as you have a shop you trust and will accept returns if the dope before you broke something.

Dive in and let me know what other questions you might have after familiarizing yourself with the video.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@puckhead

Great info, thanks. Even though I'm learning guitar, I'm really a bass player at heart. So I broke down and bought one and a 25w bass practice amp. So, one thing I couldn't figure out from the video is do any tracks you lay down stay in memory if looper is unplugged? Let's say I want to put a bass loop on it and then put a guitar track over that... I have to unplug it to change instruments. Or I want to lay a track on it and then give to a homeboy to take to his house, plug it in and play over it... I dunno.

Justin said to make sure the looper is at the end of the chain... My guitar amp has a foot pedal but it's only reverb/channel but there's not an input jack on it so I can't put it between looper and amp... don't tell me I need a pedal board because I don't even know what that is... hahaha.

Thanks for indulging me...
You must be registered for see images attach

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Most loopers will keep the last loop even after unplugging. My Boss has like 99 save locations so I could theoretically create an entire setlist of backing tracks and select them at will to play over or add to at any time. It does not need constant power to retain stored loops/recordings. You could hand the looper off to a buddy if you wanted to or even easier, export the loop via USB and share the digital .wav over the Internet, portable jump drive, etc.

2. You can just pull the cable out of the first instrument or, if you have a looper with stereo inputs, could have a bass going into one channel and a guitar going into the second channel. Just roll the volume up on the active instrument and go. Some loopers have an aux input too. That allows you to plug your phone or other sound device in with a 3.5mm stereo cable and use it as a source to record or play along with. But that's getting a little more advanced than you're probably ready for at this stage.

3. Your reverb/channel switching pedal doesn't need to go into the looper. That's just controlling the amp sounds directly. Take that out of this equation because you're playing your guitar sounds into the looper and then the looper is passing that through to the amp. Justin mentions putting the looper at the end of the pedal chain because some players have multiple effects units (foot-pedals/stompboxes) like delay, chorus, phaser, distortion, etc. that need to be ahead of the looper in order for those sounds to be available for recording/looping and then sending to the amp. If you don't have any effects pedals, you don't need to worry about that can of worms. If you ever did decide to experiment with something like that, you would just insert the effects in between the guitar and the looper.

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@puckhead

Great info, thanks. Even though I'm learning guitar, I'm really a bass player at heart. So I broke down and bought one and a 25w bass practice amp. So, one thing I couldn't figure out from the video is do any tracks you lay down stay in memory if looper is unplugged? Let's say I want to put a bass loop on it and then put a guitar track over that... I have to unplug it to change instruments. Or I want to lay a track on it and then give to a homeboy to take to his house, plug it in and play over it... I dunno.

Justin said to make sure the looper is at the end of the chain... My guitar amp has a foot pedal but it's only reverb/channel but there's not an input jack on it so I can't put it between looper and amp... don't tell me I need a pedal board because I don't even know what that is... hahaha.

Thanks for indulging me...
You must be registered for see images attach

Congrats on the new ax! I love the offset body shape.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new ax! I love the offset body shape.

Thanks a bunch, you've helped a lot!

btw, as of I haven't said it before, learning to play guitar is freaking hard.. but you know that. I've been at it a while and I still sound like crap.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch, you've helped a lot!

btw, as of I haven't said it before, learning to play guitar is freaking hard.. but you know that. I've been at it a while and I still sound like crap.

The more you learn, the more you realize how much more there is to learn. Which is why I love it!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@MrYeahBut I found a pretty serious error in my post #565 that might have been confusing. I bolded the correction so hopefully it makes more sense now.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@MrYeahBut I found a pretty serious error in my post #565 that might have been confusing. I bolded the correction so hopefully it makes more sense now.

Got it! btw, it's all confusing.. Hahaha

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it! btw, it's all confusing.. Hahaha

It actually is much simpler once you get the looper in front of you. I don't know what your guitar shop/store is like, but any decent place should be happy to demonstrate for you to get you started on the basics. I mean, that's the gig. Plus, we're all gear nerds and love to show off!

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It actually is much simpler once you get the looper in front of you. I don't know what your guitar shop/store is like, but any decent place should be happy to demonstrate for you to get you started on the basics. I mean, that's the gig. Plus, we're all gear nerds and love to show off!

I bought my Fender Blues amp at Guitar Center basically because I knew what I wanted and they had it in stock. The other times I've been in there, it's too busy or they don't really pay attention to you. I bought the bass at Music Go Round. Much more attentive there. They let me try out different ones, set them up for me etc. Now that you've educated me a bit, I'll go there to look for looper. They have used stuff too. Grumpy's is a small shop, he did a great set setup on my Strat.. Only problem is, he's grumpy. Ha!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my Fender Blues amp at Guitar Center basically because I knew what I wanted and they had it in stock. The other times I've been in there, it's too busy or they don't really pay attention to you. I bought the bass at Music Go Round. Much more attentive there. They let me try out different ones, set them up for me etc. Now that you've educated me a bit, I'll go there to look for looper. They have used stuff too. Grumpy's is a small shop, he did a great set setup on my Strat.. But he's grumpy.

Guitar Center is the last place I shop. (almost never) I loved Music Go Round when we had one here. In fact, the Mrs won an Ovation acoustic (still have it!) there in a drawing the week we got married! I miss that place. Sam Ash is the best shop near me and I know the guitar guys quite well. They're always happy to help, demo, look online, you name it. That's what you want if you can swing it.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Guitar Center is the last place I shop. (almost never)

Because there is one near me, I go to GC for the basics... strings, stands, picks, chords, etc. Anything other than the basics I'll go elsewhere or online.

I'm in the market for a good acoustic simulator pedal if anyone has a reco. Tired of hauling an acoustic to gigs for just 1 song.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm in the market for a good acoustic simulator pedal if anyone has a reco. Tired of hauling an acoustic to gigs for just 1 song.

I've never used one of those acoustic sim pedals. I would think an EQ pedal and a touch of chorus might get close with a single coil.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose