I bought a guitar

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not quite broken in but there's a world of difference. I'm trying different settings to see what sounds I can get. I love it though. Still hacking away. I'm taking a break from lessons now for some personal reasons and the fact that my teacher fed me so much over the last year that I need to assimilate it all. I still practice almost every day but as you know, there's no shortcuts.

Sure, I get it. I'm the same way with my vocal lessons. It just takes me longer to pound that material in this thick skull than it does on the guitar. So, I go a few months and then take a break to dial it in and then head back when I feel ready.

Tube amps are a different beast and an instrument in itself. The touch sensitivity is where they really shine. All those knobs on the guitar and the amp unlock an insane amount of tones.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

A friend just gave me this fun book. I’m not a huge pedal guy but I do have a number that I really like. A couple compressors, reverbs, and preamp/EQ pedals, and a tremolo. I finally got an overdrive but I generally get more than enough gain from the amp and the other pedals. I do love hearing people geek out about pedals in general, though.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A friend just gave me this fun book. I’m not a huge pedal guy but I do have a number that I really like. A couple compressors, reverbs, and preamp/EQ pedals, and a tremolo. I finally got an overdrive but I generally get more than enough gain from the amp and the other pedals. I do love hearing people geek out about pedals in general, though.

I would love this! My pedal board is an instrument on its own. It's two boards wide at this point. Even my acoustic setup has a mini pedal board.

They say the first step in recognizing addiction is to admit you have a problem. So, I'll just say this:

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would love this! My pedal board is an instrument on its own. It's two boards wide at this point. Even my acoustic setup has a mini pedal board.

They say the first step in recognizing addiction is to admit you have a problem. So, I'll just say this:

Was there supposed to be more at the end? I was waiting for a gif or something to appear.

If you had to take a fly rig which pedals would be on that board? Not a problem I’m likely to encounter, but I’d probably take:

Fairfield Circuitry the Accountant - one of my favorite compressors but also weirdly my favorite drive pedal for Fender-style guitars too.

Tech 21 Para Driver - I can probably EQ a back line amp the way I want with it. Lots of candidates for this task but this one is second-nature for me. And by second-nature I mean some days I cannot dial in anything I like no matter what.

Reverb pedal - doesn’t need to be fancy. I have one from Montreal called the Moby Depth, which is a Belton spring with some cool regeneration. But I also often just use a TC Electronic Skysurfer. It kind of sucks and the modes don’t really sound like what they’re supposed to be, but it has a lo-fi sound I dig. And it has a tone knob, which for me is indispensable.

With my Les Paul I might just need the reverb. It’s really hard for the neck pickup NOT to sound like itself, and it certainly needs no compression.

Last edited:

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here’s my latest, pictured here in my basement lair. I’ve always loved Cabronita Telecasters and have wanted a baritone for a while. I wish it were a Fender made in Corona or Ensenada, but credit to them for putting adventurous production runs out under the Squier brand. Down the road I could always do a modified partscaster.

You must be registered for see images attach

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s my latest, pictured here in my basement lair. I’ve always loved Cabronita Telecasters and have wanted a baritone for a while. I wish it were a Fender made in Corona or Ensenada, but credit to them for putting adventurous production runs out under the Squier brand. Down the road I could always do a modified partscaster.

Beauty! I'm a huge fan of p-90's too. The Squires are an amazing bang for your buck these days. Put one in a capable player's hands and there is hardly anyone who would know the difference between that and a USA-built in a band mix.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Beauty! I'm a huge fan of p-90's too. The Squires are an amazing bang for your buck these days. Put one in a capable player's hands and there is hardly anyone who would know the difference between that and a USA-built in a band mix.
My impression is that it needs a few adjustments and could use a few switch replacements over time—but nothing that prevents it from being great at home. A loose jack or switch crackling isn’t going to ruin my “session.”

I tune down a lot but play clean and jazzy + acoustic chords so a baritone with P90s is great!

(PS: sorry for contributing to drama in a P&R recently, and thanks for being there for us.)

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My impression is that it needs a few adjustments and could use a few switch replacements over time—but nothing that prevents it from being great at home. A loose jack or switch crackling isn’t going to ruin my “session.”

I tune down a lot but play clean and jazzy + acoustic chords so a baritone with P90s is great!

(PS: sorry for contributing to drama in a P&R recently, and thanks for being there for us.)

That's another great thing about those instruments. You get to customize to taste on the 'base platform' and you never have to worry about ruining the resale value because it's not all original. You can totally improve the value to yourself and just have fun throughout the journey!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black Friday got the best of me this year and I bought a(nother) guitar. Pictures to follow after delivery in a few days.
:fans:

Any guesses what kind before the big reveal?

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black Friday got the best of me this year and I bought a(nother) guitar. Pictures to follow after delivery in a few days.
:fans:

Any guesses what kind before the big reveal?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was there supposed to be more at the end? I was waiting for a gif or something to appear.

If you had to take a fly rig which pedals would be on that board? Not a problem I’m likely to encounter, but I’d probably take:

Fairfield Circuitry the Accountant - one of my favorite compressors but also weirdly my favorite drive pedal for Fender-style guitars too.

Tech 21 Para Driver - I can probably EQ a back line amp the way I want with it. Lots of candidates for this task but this one is second-nature for me. And by second-nature I mean some days I cannot dial in anything I like no matter what.

Reverb pedal - doesn’t need to be fancy. I have one from Montreal called the Moby Depth, which is a Belton spring with some cool regeneration. But I also often just use a TC Electronic Skysurfer. It kind of sucks and the modes don’t really sound like what they’re supposed to be, but it has a lo-fi sound I dig. And it has a tone knob, which for me is indispensable.

With my Les Paul I might just need the reverb. It’s really hard for the neck pickup NOT to sound like itself, and it certainly needs no compression.

Hmm, not sure how I missed this earlier.

I was just kind of joking about my refusal to acknowledge I may have a gear acquisition problem. Very few have died as a result, so I'll probably just keep on keepin' on.

Pedals on the Fly Rig is a question nightmares are made of, but I'll take a stab.

My longtime favorite pedal is mentioned earlier in this thread and was designed and built by my amp tech, Lowell Hunt. It's called the 30-Volt by Freaking Sick Electronics. Huge Marshall in a box tone with tons of gain on tap that feels like a tube amp and responds brilliantly to the guitar's volume knob.

My second favorite just arrived. It's called the Anna by Wren and Cuff. It's two circuits in one, an Op-amp style fuzz and a soft-clipping drive with multiple clipping modes. Goes from light crunch to out of control fuzz your face off. So fun and versatile.

Boss CE-2W chorus. Just the best I've found for that sound. The Waza version edged my vintage one off the board just because it sounds the same but it's totally reliable. The CE-1 circuit is also in this and it's great too.

For delay I really like my Wampler Faux Tape Echo V1. Puts a really neat distortion on the repeats that sounds very realistic to the old tape echo units.

Last one I'll need is also a recent purchase. TC Electronic's Hall of Fame Reverb II. This is a stellar reverb for the money. All the modes you could want. True stereo output, and TC's really cool 'Mash' feature which can best be explained by listening. Super innovative stuff from those guys. The Tone Print feature is amazing too. Highly recommended.

It would be painful, but I think I could get through a show with just those pedals.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@TruColor

I went to musical instrument museum today and I thought of you when I saw this trombone. Not the best picture but it's beautiful piece of art work. It was in the one of a kind, rare piece section.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@TruColor

I went to musical instrument museum today and I thought of you when I saw this trombone. Not the best picture but it's beautiful piece of art work. It was in the one of a kind, rare piece section.

Man, you almost wouldn't even want to play a work of art like that. Beautiful.

I think I read that they currently have one of Prince's pianos and Clapton's 'Brownie' guitar. I'm trying to plan a trip to MIM with some friends soon.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think I read that they currently have one of Prince's pianos and Clapton's 'Brownie' guitar. I'm trying to plan a trip to MIM with some friends soon.
LOUIS XIV piano, I. Saw Brownie but here's a more priceless guitar...

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score

When you go, make sure you pay the extra $8 for the exhibition area. That's where Prince's and this piano are. Dizzy Gillispie's trumpet, Pablo Casal cello, etc. Rare and priceless pieces in there. Allow plenty of time for your trip. I thought I'd check it out and it'd be an hour, max. Uhhh, no. We were there over 2 1/2 hours and still didn't see everything. Mesmerizing...

btw, YOU'RE A MUSICIAN AND YOU'VE NEVER BEEN THERE???? GTFOH!!!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you go, make sure you pay the extra $8 for the exhibition area. That's where Prince's and this piano are. Dizzy Gillispie's trumpet, Pablo Casal cello, etc. Rare and priceless pieces in there. Allow plenty of time for your trip. I thought I'd check it out and it'd be an hour, max. Uhhh, no. We were there over 2 1/2 hours and still didn't see everything. Mesmerizing...

btw, YOU'RE A MUSICIAN AND YOU'VE NEVER BEEN THERE???? GTFOH!!!

I've been there 3-4 times. Just not since the plague started and have been meaning to plan something when time allowed. And, one last thing, ALL CAPS! (Hmm, that is strangely satisfying)

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been there 3-4 times. Just not since the plague started and have been meaning to plan something when time allowed. And, one last thing, ALL CAPS! (Hmm, that is strangely satisfying)

A trip with "friends"?? You have friends? I'll believe it when I see it. Pics or it didn't happen....

Here's Dragon..

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A trip with "friends"?? You have friends? I'll believe it when I see it. Pics or it didn't happen....

Here's Dragon..

They, uh, live in Canada. That's why you wouldn't know them. Yeah, that's it. Tons of friends there! I can't even count them, there's so many!

That PRS is gorgeous!

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They, uh, live in Canada. That's why you wouldn't know them. Yeah, that's it. Tons of friends there! I can't even count them, there's so many!

That PRS is gorgeous!

Canadian friends.. BTO.. Half A Ton of Rock & Roll!
hahahaha

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got my strap delivered yesterday. It's absolutely gorgeous too. I'm so impressed that I'll happily give them a plug if anyone is in need of a strap that will live longer than all of us:

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this to be very interesting.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First tune I learned to play was "Secret Agent Man". Learned to play on a Silvertone guitar. Ran through a number of axes over the years, in order, Silverstone, Fender Mustang, Mosrite Ventures model, Hagstrom acoustic/electric, Les Paul Custom and Ibanez RG series. I also purchased a cheap knockoff guitar while I was in Thailand but sold it before I came home. Soundwise, the LP was kick ass, but I have never played a guitar with better action than the Mosrite.

Arthritis in my hands makes it impossible to play anymore.... :sad:

Last edited:
Reaction score
@puckhead my daughter has a purple Ibanez SA series that she'd like to sell along with a small Fender amp. I plan on putting it on offerup or somewhere but I have no idea what it's worth. It's like brand new. She used it about a dozen times & then set it aside. She has a strap & stand that goes with it. Any idea of a starting price? Don't really care how much she gets but doesn't want to give it away. I'll put some pics up later in the for sale section but I'm just looking for advice on value. I appreciate your help puck!

By the way, what is the name of your band & when do you play again? We'd both like to come out sometime & watch you play. ;)