I bought a guitar

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im heading to guitar center for amp after I get guitar so I will have them check it out for me for sure. thanks for input.

OK, pick up a set of guitar strings while you are there. The guitar is going to come with .009 guage, but haven't been changed in a while. The .010's are more preferred and don't break as much. The .009s are easier on the fingers and bend easier, but break really easy. Ask Guitar center they will recommend some strings for you.

Oh and the Kramer is kind of weird in that it has fine tuning at the string base in addition to the regular tuning on the head keys. You'll figure it out.

Last edited:

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lol. If you are annoying the neighbors then you're on the right track.

Ha, Ha! I'm 58 years old and still love to crank it up loud and play. The neighbor's son is a bassist in a metal band and he told me that when he hears me he fires his bass up and plays along with me. I haven't heard anything from them, but I'll bet our other neighbors love us. :D

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, pick up a set of guitar strings while you are there. The guitar is going to come with .009 guage, but haven't been changed in a while. The .010's are more preferred and don't break as much. The .009s are easier on the fingers and bend easier, but break really easy. Ask Guitar center they will recommend some strings for you.

Oh and the Kramer is kind of weird in that it has fine tuning at the string base in addition to the regular tuning on the head keys. You'll figure it out.

noted!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont feel I am near ready for distortion and etc until I can play chords but it cannot hurt to start stockpiling stuff for once I can rock ;)

Where on westside? I am around 17 and bell about every two weeks. Further west I dont plan on being until monday night football in october.

If anything, PM me your address and ill send you $10 to pay for shipping.

I 17 and Bell is only about 5-10 minutes from my place. We can try and meet somewhere next time you're up. If not, it won't cost much to ship and It would be my pleasure to donate the pedal to the next Eddie Van Halen.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I 17 and Bell is only about 5-10 minutes from my place. We can try and meet somewhere next time you're up. If not, it won't cost much to ship and It would be my pleasure to donate the pedal to the next Eddie Van Halen.

nice, I was just up there a few days ago so next time I am heading that way I will hit you up!

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty damn sweet. Amazing generosity is an understatement!

Those have the "blower" switch don't they? Great invention.

I have always preferred rosewood for my fret-boards too.

Well done, BRR!

Well, I didn't think I was being THAT generous. But then I just looked on craigslist and this model/year is selling for $700.

Congrats BRR, sounds like XMAS came early for you.

Reaction score
I must say puck & jw7 are awesome people. Kudos to both of you guys. This board is just freaking awesome. Would love to have a beer with all y'all sometime. :cheers:

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I didn't think I was being THAT generous. But then I just looked on craigslist and this model/year is selling for $700.

Lol! ****!

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must say puck & jw7 are awesome people. Kudos to both of you guys. This board is just freaking awesome. Would love to have a beer with all y'all sometime. :cheers:
I agree, I've been reiterating to my wife how much I love asfn and how much I have gotten out of it over the years between cool stuff, great conversation, view points I would never get elsewhere and etc. Even mike olbinski was my wedding photographer.

Reaction score
I agree, I've been reiterating to my wife how much I love asfn and how much I have gotten out of it over the years between cool stuff, great conversation, view points I would never get elsewhere and etc. Even mike olbinski was my wedding photographer.

:thumbup:

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BRR and I have met before. He hauled away my behemoth TV for free so I could get a flat-screen. So he helped me out.

If I can help him out back, I'm glad to. Plus he is an ASFNer.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BRR and I have met before. He hauled away my behemoth TV for free so I could get a flat-screen. So he helped me out.

If I can help him out back, I'm glad to. Plus he is an ASFNer.
I still have that TV in my garage, it's time has passed though.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
me and the note D are not friends. For some reason I have a harder time pushing down those skinny strings over the normal strings. Part of it is the pain in my finger tips but still, I was able to keep playing a EMinor/G combo song but every time I try to go to D I just cant quite push them down properly. Action lowering may be necessary on the acoustic.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Always wanted to learn, finally going to give it a real effort. So far I suck big time but I can go back and forth from e minor to G and back like a boss

FYI, if you want to learn songs there is something called tablature. What it does is shows you want string and what fret to play for certain songs.

BUT, it is always good to learn your chords, notes, scales, etc., etc.

Balance learning time with fun time and for me at least it is always a good time.

Finally, get one of these.

Amazon.com: Snark SN1 Guitar Tuner: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-dGZtJ%2BgL.@@AMEPARAM@@41-dGZtJ%2BgL

You must be registered for see images attach

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
me and the note D are not friends. For some reason I have a harder time pushing down those skinny strings over the normal strings. Part of it is the pain in my finger tips but still, I was able to keep playing a EMinor/G combo song but every time I try to go to D I just cant quite push them down properly. Action lowering may be necessary on the acoustic.

Just keep practicing and it will come.

I got sausage fingers so it took me a while.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jw7 is the hero here, but I agree with the rest of your sentiment one hundred percent!

Once the music bug bites, you can't help but want to share it with others and I think that's why people are so quick to offer advice and pass along things you collect along the journey. I wouldn't be at the playing level I am without the kindness and generosity of others so it always feels right to pay it forward.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I was floored when you posted that picture! You sir, are a Rock God among men. :rockon:

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI, if you want to learn songs there is something called tablature. What it does is shows you want string and what fret to play for certain songs.

BUT, it is always good to learn your chords, notes, scales, etc., etc.

Balance learning time with fun time and for me at least it is always a good time.

Finally, get one of these.

Amazon.com: Snark SN1 Guitar Tuner: Musical Instruments

I downloaded a tuning app called G Strings that is really easy to tune the guitar with. My acoustic came with a digital one like this but didnt seem to work as well.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Yes, Jw7 is the ultra generous awesome person hooking me up.

I plan to pick this up after work saturday at guitar center so I have an amp and can play with distortion if I want:

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...Vg8cCFUI6iAodt9MDgQ&ei=TkK6VcG4McL0oAS3p4-ICA

'

Only $60 and I can plug in my awesome xbox headphones so I dont drive my wife nuts.

I have that amp. Pretty decent little amp that's really easy to throw in a trunk and lug around.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Just keep at it. That's all you can do, really. If you can fit time in every day you'll builds up some gnarly calluses. I started out with what, at the time, felt like a high action guitar. I've moved onto a slightly lower action guitar, but I can go back and play it now just fine. It was murder on my fingers at first though.

Also, I've been playing off and on for about 2 years now, maybe a little more. I STILL struggle with the F chord. I have girly little hands and can only play a sloppy, horrible sounding F.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose