I am vegan; Ask me anything

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Kel Varnsen, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

Absolute Zero and thirty-two like this.
  2. Kel Varnsen

BYND is up today on this news.

Also, from Yahoo Finance:

The growing number of coronavirus cases across the world has rattled equity markets. Per global health officials, cases of infected patients have exceeded 79,000. Nevertheless, the number of cases outside China is still significantly lower at roughly 2,000, the officials confirmed.

Growing evidence from studies that link coronavirus to bats will probably raise apprehension among people who consume animal meat. This is likely to lead to a demand surge for substitutes that mimic the taste, texture and sizzle on the grill of meat.

Absolute Zero likes this.
  3. Kel Varnsen

thirty-two likes this.
  4. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

5. Kel Varnsen

6. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

yeah I thought of you when I saw this on the news this morning. Sucks that they played into the classic stereotype often portrayed about vegans.

Kel Varnsen likes this.
  7. Kel Varnsen

I’m only obnoxious online.

MadCardDisease likes this.
  8. Kel Varnsen

It’s so exciting to see these big chains rolling out new products. El Pollo Loco is making its own product. Yum.

Dive Brief:

El Pollo Loco is now offering plant-based chicken systemwide through its new Chickenless Pollo Taco and Burrito menu items, according to a press release emailed to Restaurant Dive.

The chain created the plant-based protein product in-house than partner with popular plant-based meat suppliers like Impossible Foods and Beyond Meat because it "wanted to differentiate our product from all others in the marketplace and work with a supplier that could exclusively produce this product for us," a company spokesperson told Restaurant Dive via email. EL Pollo Loco also wanted a non-GMO product produced in the U.S., which it said forced the restaurants to exclude certain suppliers. Chickenless Pollo is made with 100% non-GMO soy protein and mimics shredded chicken.

El Pollo Loco is the first chicken chain to offer a plant-based menu item systemwide, and the restaurant says it has more Chickenless Pollo innovations in its pipeline.

https://www.restaurantdive.com/news...its-own-plant-based-chicken-chainwide/573542/

Edit: Seems as if there is egg in it, so it’s not vegan, but still a big improvement to the menu.

Absolute Zero and Linderbee like this.
  9. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

I've been hearing a lot about this Gardein lately and I asked the Mrs to put it on the next grocery order so we could try it out. She startled me by stating something about some weird combination of animal blood/parts in it! I'm like, how could it be vegan if that's the case and she suggested I read up on it.

I think she's way off, but I've been burned too many times to count by not doing my research first. :eek:

Can you shed some light on this for me?

10. Kel Varnsen

I’ve never heard this. They are certified vegan.

11. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Stand down Contributor

Gardein is a good product. Yard House uses a lot of Gardein products, which is cool when I go out to eat. I especially like their "wings." Other than that, they are not my favorite. They have a meatless meatball that is okay. (I prefer Trader Joe's.) I haven't tried the fish because, outside of tuna, I never liked fish.

12. jf-08

jf-08 Administrator; Rules Creator Staff Member

Someone please try this....

13. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Nah, I haven't tried it. Bet it tastes like smoked watermelon. :D

jf-08 likes this.
  14. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

I hope they give it another name.........

McD's to test "McPlant" burger - not a P. L. T.

McDonald's to test McPlant, which includes a meat-free burger, next year; Beyond Meat shares fall

McDonald's will test a meat-free burger in several markets next year as it adds plant-based menu offerings, which it has coined "McPlant."

International President Ian Borden said that McPlant was created "by McDonald's and for McDonald's." Borden said that the McPlant line could also include chicken substitutes

McDonald's began testing a meatless burger, dubbed the P.L.T., in several dozen Ontario restaurants in September last year. By April, the chain had ended the pilot and has since said that it has no plans to bring back its P.L.T. burger at this time.

Rival Burger King, which is owned by Restaurant Brands International, released a plant-based Whopper in the U.S., with a patty made by privately held Impossible Foods last year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/09/mcd...burger-next-year-beyond-meat-shares-fall.html

15. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Registered User

Have you tried the vegan "egg" products?