I Am So Tired

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been a fan of this team a long, long time. This is my 37th season as a Cardinals fan. Some of you have been fans for longer than that. But the Cardinals are the only team I root for that is not a Philadelphia team. I was born and raised in South Jersey. Right in the heart of Eagle country. And, in my youth, if you weren't an Eagles fan, you were probably a Dolphins fan(my brother) or a Steelers fan or a Cowboys fan. There were fans of all stripes in my neighborhood but being the individualist kid that I was, I wanted my own team to love. So, I looked in the paper and as 10 year olds were apt to do, I scanned the standings and atop the NFC East it said St. Louis. So, with the pettiness of a tween, I adopted the Cards as my team and I've been a fan ever since. As all of you, I've bled and cried and sweated with this team. I've given my heart and soul to this team, however, I've been given very little in return.

In my early years as a fan, the Cards were contenders. Winning the division in my first season as a fan and winning 10 games in the 2nd. My first experience with humiliation came on Thanksgiving Day 1977. I sat and watched in embarrassment as the Cards were dismantled 55-14 by the Dolphins. What made it worse was, as I mentioned above, my brother is a Dolphins fan and so was another kid in my neighborhood. To say I was ridden like an old mare is an understatement. That season culminated in another embarrassing loss, being schooled by the previously 1-26 Bucs 17-7. Little did I know but the 1977 collapse was the beginning of the Same 'Ol Cards.

Since the 10-4 finish in 1976, I watched this team go through losing season after losing season. Sure there was the respite from 1982-1984 but other than that, and the dangled carrots that were 1987 and 1988(the first in AZ), the franchise has been abysmal. And we go from bad to worse. 3 win seasons. 4 win seasons. 5 win seasons. 6 win seasons. These were the norm. If we had a 7 win season, we thought we died and went to heaven. That's how pathetic a franchise this had become. Oh, we showed flashes. We even had a winning season in 1998 and we actually not only made the playoffs, but we won a game.

But all of that changed during a quirky season we like to call 2008. The year we finally stopped being basement dwellers. We won our division, and, against all odds, we won another playoff game. Then another. Then, on a chilly February afternoon we achieved the impossible. We, the team who everyone used to scoff at, laugh at, snicker at, make it to the promise land. The Super Bowl. The grandest stage in American sports. We were in the Super Bowl. Even after those final seconds ticked away as the Eagles tried for a miracle, we were still in a state of shock that we were going somewhere that was a pipe dream in the past. On that February day, we stopped being the Same Ol' Cards and became a member in a pretty exclusive club. And boy what a game we gave America. We were mere seconds from pulling off the impossible. We were a few seconds from going from the "worst playoff team ever" to Super Bowl champions but it wasn't to be. But boy were we proud of our boys. And we were excited for the next season and when that season came and went, we were division champs again, a double digit winner for the first time in over 30 years, and we won one of the most exciting playoff games in history. But a repeat to the big dance wasn't meant to be as we were schooled by the eventual Super Bowl champs.

Then something funny happened on the way to the Forum. The next season, we slipped down the rabbit hole. In one season, we went from being contenders to being the Same Ol' Cards. And now, with a 1-4 start to this season, the slide is complete. No more are we the exciting Kurt Warner led team that shocked the world by going to a game few ever thought we'd see without having to buy a ticket to being the same old embarrassing franchise that everyone snickered at, laughed at, scoffed at.

Sports is defined by loyalty. A player's loyalty to the team, a team's loyalty to the players and a fan's loyalty to both. Well, for 36 years I've been pouring out my loyalty for this team. Bleeding red. Buying the merchandise. Wearing the jerseys in public. Getting pointed at, snickered at, laughed at. I've given so much time, effort, and loyalty to this team but I've received very little in return. And I'm tired. I'm tired of giving my all as a fan only to see this team go back to being a laughing stock. I'm a patient man but I simply cannot wait another 30 some years before we become a competitive team again. Life is too short. My loyalty is waning. And it isn't that I'm teetering leaving this team, this team is leaving me.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well we all have choices to make but hang in NJ. Being a Card fan(1967 for me ) is unique in that few have suffered like we have.

Today was a tough one.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well we all have choices to make but hang in NJ. Being a Card fan(1967 for me ) is unique in that few have suffered like we have.

Today was a tough one.

You know, I'm also a Phillies fan and for years we were as bad as the Cards tend to be but for the last 5 seasons we've been among the elite. Sure we fell short this season but I'd rather fall short of the playoffs than finish dead last in my division any day.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Sports is defined by loyalty.

Sports is defined by money, and you don't have to pay $300+ to watch the Eagles.

Just sayin'. I am right there with you.

After the lockout, it is hard to use loyalty as an excuse to watch this horrendous team.

They are the laughing stock, that is for sure.

I dunno. These games are the worst. At least last weeks game was one of those "I have never seen that before."

But todays loss we all too familiar. Getting our doors blow off by a winless team, and watching our players put in a gutless performance, and being in awe at the lack of skill on the field.

SAME OLD CARDINALS

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
I've been a fan of this team a long, long time. This is my 37th season as a Cardinals fan. Some of you have been fans for longer than that. But the Cardinals are the only team I root for that is not a Philadelphia team. I was born and raised in South Jersey. Right in the heart of Eagle country. And, in my youth, if you weren't an Eagles fan, you were probably a Dolphins fan(my brother) or a Steelers fan or a Cowboys fan. There were fans of all stripes in my neighborhood but being the individualist kid that I was, I wanted my own team to love. So, I looked in the paper and as 10 year olds were apt to do, I scanned the standings and atop the NFC East it said St. Louis. So, with the pettiness of a tween, I adopted the Cards as my team and I've been a fan ever since. As all of you, I've bled and cried and sweated with this team. I've given my heart and soul to this team, however, I've been given very little in return.

In my early years as a fan, the Cards were contenders. Winning the division in my first season as a fan and winning 10 games in the 2nd. My first experience with humiliation came on Thanksgiving Day 1977. I sat and watched in embarrassment as the Cards were dismantled 55-14 by the Dolphins. What made it worse was, as I mentioned above, my brother is a Dolphins fan and so was another kid in my neighborhood. To say I was ridden like an old mare is an understatement. That season culminated in another embarrassing loss, being schooled by the previously 1-26 Bucs 17-7. Little did I know but the 1977 collapse was the beginning of the Same 'Ol Cards.

Since the 10-4 finish in 1976, I watched this team go through losing season after losing season. Sure there was the respite from 1982-1984 but other than that, and the dangled carrots that were 1987 and 1988(the first in AZ), the franchise has been abysmal. And we go from bad to worse. 3 win seasons. 4 win seasons. 5 win seasons. 6 win seasons. These were the norm. If we had a 7 win season, we thought we died and went to heaven. That's how pathetic a franchise this had become. Oh, we showed flashes. We even had a winning season in 1998 and we actually not only made the playoffs, but we won a game.

But all of that changed during a quirky season we like to call 2008. The year we finally stopped being basement dwellers. We won our division, and, against all odds, we won another playoff game. Then another. Then, on a chilly February afternoon we achieved the impossible. We, the team who everyone used to scoff at, laugh at, snicker at, make it to the promise land. The Super Bowl. The grandest stage in American sports. We were in the Super Bowl. Even after those final seconds ticked away as the Eagles tried for a miracle, we were still in a state of shock that we were going somewhere that was a pipe dream in the past. On that February day, we stopped being the Same Ol' Cards and became a member in a pretty exclusive club. And boy what a game we gave America. We were mere seconds from pulling off the impossible. We were a few seconds from going from the "worst playoff team ever" to Super Bowl champions but it wasn't to be. But boy were we proud of our boys. And we were excited for the next season and when that season came and went, we were division champs again, a double digit winner for the first time in over 30 years, and we won one of the most exciting playoff games in history. But a repeat to the big dance wasn't meant to be as we were schooled by the eventual Super Bowl champs.

Then something funny happened on the way to the Forum. The next season, we slipped down the rabbit hole. In one season, we went from being contenders to being the Same Ol' Cards. And now, with a 1-4 start to this season, the slide is complete. No more are we the exciting Kurt Warner led team that shocked the world by going to a game few ever thought we'd see without having to buy a ticket to being the same old embarrassing franchise that everyone snickered at, laughed at, scoffed at.

Sports is defined by loyalty. A player's loyalty to the team, a team's loyalty to the players and a fan's loyalty to both. Well, for 36 years I've been pouring out my loyalty for this team. Bleeding red. Buying the merchandise. Wearing the jerseys in public. Getting pointed at, snickered at, laughed at. I've given so much time, effort, and loyalty to this team but I've received very little in return. And I'm tired. I'm tired of giving my all as a fan only to see this team go back to being a laughing stock. I'm a patient man but I simply cannot wait another 30 some years before we become a competitive team again. Life is too short. My loyalty is waning. And it isn't that I'm teetering leaving this team, this team is leaving me.
I know, we all know and we agree with you. Just being a fan of this team takes a lot out of you. I don't know how but after having som success it is actually harder to watch them loose. (I climbed on bord in the late '90s) No reasonable person would continue to waste time, money and emotion on this team and I think most of us are right behind you at the door. Will the last one out please turn off the lights.
so, I guess we will see you after the steelers game. :shrug:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Doesnt anyone find it striking that the Cards and Eagles are having horrible seasons with very poor chemistry?

Weren't they the top two movers and shakers after the Lockout lifted? Maybe it is a coincidence, but I think it is a main factor in the close losses.

Today was just a shambles though.

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
The only thing worthwhile is remembering the Chicago Cardinal's dream backfield with Christman, Harder, Angsman and Trippi beating the Bears in Comiskey Park

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they're pushing me away slowly but surely... if L.A. ever got a team... and somehow Rod Graves survived to pick his FOURTH coaching staff... well, decisions will have to be made. can't believe I'm saying that, but if this team shows no desire to win, why should I waste my time cheering for them? if nothing else, I'm sure a lot of people here will be happy if I feel the need to jump ship.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
3-13 since the bye week last season. It is just really hard to comprehend. That is one of the worst 16 game stretches the team has ever had in Arizona. The only one that is worse that I could find is from the bye week in 2000 through the first two weeks of 2001 when the Cards were 2-14. And of course they were 3-13 in 2000.

There may be more but I'm too tired to look.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
they're pushing me away slowly but surely... if L.A. ever got a team... and somehow Rod Graves survived to pick his FOURTH coaching staff... well, decisions will have to be made. can't believe I'm saying that, but if this team shows no desire to win, why should I waste my time cheering for them? if nothing else, I'm sure a lot of people here will be happy if I feel the need to jump ship.

Yup me too cheese. I became a Cards fan back when I was 13 and they were still playing in the NFCE. I hate the Jets and Pats, I am ambivalent about the Giants, but feel myself being slowly pushed away by this team and that jackassery on display year after year. I invested too much time and coin in this team, to walk away, but my days rooting for this team are waning I feel. There is a severe disconnect with this organization between the FO and fan base. I just love football so much I just may become a fan of the league.The NFL is becoming more enjoyable to me when I don't have a dog in the fight and just enjoy the games instead of being pissed off all day because the Cards lose.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem is, if I divorce myself from the Cards, I will be a man without a team because I can't root for another team. For this season, I'm jumping on the Bills bandwagon because there is a team with not a lot of talent who is playing with a world of heart. They are 4-1 in probably the toughest division in football. I'd get behind the Lions but they're the sexy pick and I hate sexy picks. It's not like my Phillies where me as a fan was sold this bill of goods about being the team to beat only to choke in the playoffs. No, this team makes no assertions. No claims of being good. Worse yet, they suckered Fitz into signing a contract extension. He deserves better than this.

CHAPTER 7

Registered
Reaction score
I posted similar to what I am about to say. This team makes me curse in front of my kids and gives me extra stress over the weekend. It's weekend away from work and I should be relaxed...I am actually so lucky that I didn't watch this game. But I did listen to post game show on 620AM. If I watched this game, my wife probably divorced me from my insanity in front of my TV. I need to step back from this team. Like many, I won't have anyone else to root for. This season will just be an off season for me. I need to get away. Not healthy to me or anyone around me.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The problem is, if I divorce myself from the Cards, I will be a man without a team because I can't root for another team. For this season, I'm jumping on the Bills bandwagon because there is a team with not a lot of talent who is playing with a world of heart. They are 4-1 in probably the toughest division in football. I'd get behind the Lions but they're the sexy pick and I hate sexy picks. It's not like my Phillies where me as a fan was sold this bill of goods about being the team to beat only to choke in the playoffs. No, this team makes no assertions. No claims of being good. Worse yet, they suckered Fitz into signing a contract extension. He deserves better than this.

I hear what you're saying.

It's a horrible dilema, I'm in zombie fan land myself, once you imprint on a team it's over.

I really believe my mother would of sold the tv if she knew this would happen.

I'm tired too, of having the only people who can solve this turn a deaf ear, I want to believe Michael cares but in my head I should know better.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, Ive been a Cardinal fan for over 50 years and not likely to jump ship now, but I'm fading too. Maybe it's all the big money in sports now coupled with this too oft pathetic effort. I put the blame squarely on the coaches and GM though as (IMO) the talent difference is just not that great in the NFL. Ultimately this points to the ownership which had never been a bargain but I (wishful thinking) hoped we had turned that corner. Screw it, I'll tune in but the passion has waned. . .

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I posted similar to what I am about to say. This team makes me curse in front of my kids and gives me extra stress over the weekend. It's weekend away from work and I should be relaxed...I am actually so lucky that I didn't watch this game. But I did listen to post game show on 620AM. If I watched this game, my wife probably divorced me from my insanity in front of my TV. I need to step back from this team. Like many, I won't have anyone else to root for. This season will just be an off season for me. I need to get away. Not healthy to me or anyone around me.

A lot of what you say here rings true for me which is why I did this, for I just sensed today was gonna happen:

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/a-day-without-the-cardinals-171637.html

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
37 years for me also NJCF. I too was 10 and picked the Cards cuz they were playing on TV that day. Fate can be cruel. I have devoted every season since then glued to the TV getting frustrated. I gave up my season tickets this year since they wont put a quality product on the field, which is exactly what I told the Cards sales rep that called for renewal.
You can still back away from this team without giving up on them.
Try it! Last Sunday I took my wife out for the entire day and didnt even care about the game. I thought it would be more difficult but I actually enjoyed time with her instead of ignoring her and giving attention to the thankless Cardinals.
The problem is that Whisenhunt, Graves, and the Bidwells could care less about me as an individual fan. They just know that they're still selling out games. I doubt they read forums, although I wish they would read this thread.
I will be a faithful fan until I die or they dissolve! But I can temporarily ignore them whenever I choose.
So lets take a break...regroup and beat the Steelers.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
37 years for me also NJCF. I too was 10 and picked the Cards cuz they were playing on TV that day. Fate can be cruel. I have devoted every season since then glued to the TV getting frustrated. I gave up my season tickets this year since they wont put a quality product on the field, which is exactly what I told the Cards sales rep that called for renewal.
You can still back away from this team without giving up on them.
Try it! Last Sunday I took my wife out for the entire day and didnt even care about the game. I thought it would be more difficult but I actually enjoyed time with her instead of ignoring her and giving attention to the thankless Cardinals.
The problem is that Whisenhunt, Graves, and the Bidwells could care less about me as an individual fan. They just know that they're still selling out games. I doubt they read forums, although I wish they would read this thread.
I will be a faithful fan until I die or they dissolve! But I can temporarily ignore them whenever I choose.
So lets take a break...regroup and beat the Steelers.

48 years for me & it has been an exhausting journey. I've tried just ignoring them on Sundays & spending time with my family instead. I still find myself glancing at the soreboard from my cell every 10 minutes & probably more stressed out than if I had just sat down & watched them. Actually, the stress is about over now. After today, there are no lofty expectations left. The Cardinals SUCK!! I'm not a fan that will root for meaningless wins. I was pissed when we came back to beat the Falcons & lost out on Peyton Manning. I was pissed when we beat the Vikings & lost out on Eli Maning. This organization just can't get it right. We lose when we should be winning. Then when a loss can actually help us, we find a way to win. Draft day again will be my Super Bowl. My existence as a Cardinal fan will again revolve around who we'll draft with a top 5 pick. If we're going to suck, then damnit, we need to suck the best. Once our playoff hopes are over, & they are, I want nothing but losses across the board. If we're going to be bad, then let's be the WORST! The sad things is that we'd screw that up too. Luck is probably the best college QB to come along since Elway & even if we had the 1st pick, we'd pass because of Kolb. Oh, the pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How about Los Angeles takes the Cardinals and Arizona gets an expansion team? :shrug: :D

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
Became a Cardinals fan in 1972 because of combination of recalling a Cards blowout of the Eagles in the late 60s(?) and an IHOP NFL promotion( I happened to get a Cards placemat) and suffered through a couple 4-9-1 seasons, before the breakout year of 1974. I figured I had suffered enough through '72, and '73 and the glory years of the mid 70's were my due. Oh man... if only I knew about the late 70s, the 80s, the 90s, the early to mid 2000 years.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
can't believe I'm saying that, but if this team shows no desire to win, why should I waste my time cheering for them? if nothing else, I'm sure a lot of people here will be happy if I feel the need to jump ship.
Hey, at least you still have the Suns......oh wait....nevermind.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should attend a Requiem Mass or just quietly hum a dirge to myself for the rest of the season.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Cards did me a favor on Sunday. All week I had heard the "experts" say how bad Minnesota was and that the Cards should win this game.
If I had watched an entire game devolve, I would have been mad for the rest of the day/week.

But this Sunday, I was unable to tune in until about an hour into the game. Flipped on the TV, saw we were down 28-3, and knew I could go about my day without wasting another second on this team. What a bunch of punks.