I’m in NYC (Pizza)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My entire life I’ve heard and been told directly that there is no better pizza than a thin sliced NY pizza actually made in NYC.

Well I’m here for the first time and so far in 4 days I’ve tried four different mom and pop pizza shops in NYC. Not even the least bit impressed. They aren’t terrible and totally edible. But my mind isn’t blown and Metro pizza in Las Vegas serves a much better product than anything I’ve tasted here so far.

Not really getting the hype unless it’s just plain old NY nostalgia for so many?

I will say though that the Bagels here are softer and tastier than anywhere else I’ve had. Those are definitely better.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They never give tourists the good stuff, cause then you might not leave. ;)

Maybe try a less obvious outfit?

You must be registered for see images attach

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ask a friend of mine, who is a New York Italian :)

His response:

Joe's
Louie & Ernie's
Paulie Gee's
Bleeker Street Pizza
Lombardi's

Not sure where he is but hopefully one of these are close. But if he had to travel, Joes or Lombardis would be the best bets.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another friend on my text group chimed in:

I was just there in Dec and one better plan to wait in line for any of the popular places. Not sure how they are for the lunch crowds but for supper they were busy (Joe's had some massive lines).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My entire life I’ve heard and been told directly that there is no better pizza than a thin sliced NY pizza actually made in NYC.

Well I’m here for the first time and so far in 4 days I’ve tried four different mom and pop pizza shops in NYC. Not even the least bit impressed. They aren’t terrible and totally edible. But my mind isn’t blown and Metro pizza in Las Vegas serves a much better product than anything I’ve tasted here so far.

Not really getting the hype unless it’s just plain old NY nostalgia for so many?

I will say though that the Bagels here are softer and tastier than anywhere else I’ve had. Those are definitely better.
NY pizza is so overrated. I'm pretty passionate about the subject too. One time I made my point a bit too forcefully, and let's just say it didn't go well with Linda.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were doing some grocery shopping and Linda tells me something like..

'There is an amazing pizza place near here that you gotta try, you're gonna love it.'

Pretty sure it was an NYPD pizza. I blew up railing how much I do not like NY style pizza.

Here she was trying to do something nice for me and I was a complete jerk... and yet my feelings about NY style pizza really haven't changed.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were doing some grocery shopping and Linda tells me something like..

'There is an amazing pizza place near here that you gotta try, you're gonna love it.'

Pretty sure it was an NYPD pizza. I blew up railing how much I do not like NY style pizza.

Here she was trying to do something nice for me and I was a complete jerk... and yet my feelings about NY style pizza really haven't changed.

We all have our triggers, yours just happens to be NY pizza! We're lucky the wives put up with us at all!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all have our triggers, yours just happens to be NY pizza! We're lucky the wives put up with us at all!
I have quite a few. Normally I am a very patient calm person. I think even Linda would say I am the most patient person she knows...but not that afternoon.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Most of the old places have expanded amid generational operations changes. SO, its hard to find the vibe of the old joints, which to me is just as important.

My favorites were Lombardis (which is good pizza, but just being in the space and looking at the old coal fired oven makes it). I LOVE Totonnos, but its all the way out in Coney Island. Di Fara used to be the place. Old guy, probably in his late 80s, still ahd tossed all the pies. Took for freaking ever to get a pie, but damn they were good.

Joes is fine, but its just a NY Slice joint, nothing more. Johns on Bleecker is alao good, classic, but not much more.

For newer joints. I agree with Paulie Gees. His first shop was near my house in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Motorino has never let me down, and of course, my friends opened Robertas out in Brooklyn back in the day, and just being out there is awesome. Those are some new school options.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In PHX, Buono's, Sal's, and Brooklyn Vs have good NY pizza. NYPD not so much.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We did eat at the highly recommended Katz Deli. And it was absolutely phenomenal. Best Reuben ever.
I used to spend all my social time a bar down the road from there called Motor City. Loing gone. The Lower East Side is barely recognizable from when I lived and hugn out down there. But thats what makes NYC so great. The city doesnt give an eff about you. It does what it wants to do. Take it or leave it...says the guy whos in Charleston, SC...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose