Hypothetical: Murray Slides

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here's the thing tho... No one was talking about Murray going #1 until the KK stuff. No one was talking about Murray being the first QB drafted in fact. All of this hype really centers around our hire of KK. If Cards (or trade partner) don't take him #1 I think odds are even money if he is even the first QB selected.

If and strong if, I were forced to deal Rosen, for me it would go like this in fantasy land (read not happening and still do not like it much if it were).

Raiders want KM and they give us a 2. One of the QB needy teams (ideally before Washington) love Rosen and give us their number pick for Rosen and the pick we got from Oakland and probably another pick from us somewhere. We get to take Haskins and get our D pick at #4.

Haskins is really the only I feel confident will at minimum be able to play as good as 2nd year Rosen in NFL right out of the gate. KM is such a gamble in my eyes that you can only pull the trigger on him if he falls in our lap for stupid value because he fell. He just seems like one of those players where there isn't much middle ground. He seems like someone who will either be really good or really bad at NFL level. The only way your #1 isn't a bust with Murray is if he is great. Even mediocre will still qualify him for bust status at #1 overall because even Rosen should be able to reach mediocre status in a competent offense.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Raises an interesting question: Can Team A require in a deal that Team B not draft a specific player, players or positions?

Could the Cardinals agree to trade down with, say, the Jets at #3 or Oakland at #4 with the stip that they not draft Murray?

Only problem with that deal would be the Niners at #2 - Division rival could refuse to go along (i.e. either by drafting Murray or trading the pick to another team).

I heard a former NFL GM answer that question and he said no they don't say anything about who the player is that they are trading up for.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I heard a former NFL GM answer that question and he said no they don't say anything about who the player is that they are trading up for.

They don’t have to, but you can make that a condition of the trade. Basically say you will only make the trade after both picks have been made, assuming you are ok keeping the player they want.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lets assume its the only and best offer

the Cards could:

1. Reject it, take Murray.

or

2. Accept it, take Murray at #4, have Pick #35 as well.

Absent some devotion to the trade chart, why wouldnt you do #2 in this situation?

to me the only rational reason to reject the trade is that pick #35 doesnt adequately compensate the Cards for the risk that they player they want (Murray) goes at pick #2 or #3.

What's irrational is this complete deviation from the chart, and what has been paid in the past to move up in the top 10, let alone #1.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
At this point, the team has already created so much chaos with this selection that it’s either you take him or you don’t. After your first-round pick, that’s it.
Lol, really? Seems like being flexible and ready to pounce on opportunities, anticipated or not, should be a primary character trait desired in a front office.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
I think it would be a good refresher for some to watch the past drafts on NFL network as they've been airing. Draft day is wild and totally unpredictable. All these responses of telling people they are wrong or 100% certain something will or will not happen is ridiculous. I love everyone's own OPINION, but stop presenting opinions as facts please
Question would you happen to know who they got to replace Mayock?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think Daniel Jeremiah is just taking more of a leading role

I think Mayock as GM is a more ludicrous hire than Kingsbury by a country mile... then you put Gruden in the mix, because Mayock always cited information by what others told him and not what he thought about a draft

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of pundits of been watching, seem to think the Cards are the only suitor who would take him in round one.

So if Kliff really has a massive ***** for the kid...It seems like IF he really wants him...We could still have our pick of the litter AND KM.

A good trade down offer would be hard to resist. Of course the Cardinals couldn't count on Murray being there later.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Mayock as GM is a more ludicrous hire than Kingsbury by a country mile... then you put Gruden in the mix, because Mayock always cited information by what others told him and not what he thought about a draft

As an analyst, Mayoch was naturally subject to info from scouts, but he also reviewed tape. He has a good eye. Son of a coach, star College player at B-C and a few years in the League.

Hardly ludicrous - imo.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
As an analyst, Mayoch was naturally subject to info from scouts, but he also reviewed tape. He has a good eye. Son of a coach, star College player at B-C and a few years in the League.

Hardly ludicrous - imo.

Kingsbury has been exposed to more, despite his lack of recruiting potential being at lowly Texas Tech, directly for the sport

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Name the team in the top 15 where KM is a natural fit?

This is not the way that I look at it. If another team rates Murray high, I don't think he is going to slide far. They can move up in the draft to snag him.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Anybody that really believes he is sliding more than a few spots is dead wrong. There is no chance in hell he could go lower than top 10. The Raiders, Redskins and Giants would all take him by then.

There is zero chance of this being a reality.

You've seen those teams boards?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Why? Do you really think scouting is hard? He’s been doing the same thing as a normal scout, with less travel, and his track record is very public.

If there really was a reliable science to scouting 50 percent of first rounders would not bust.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly. Which is more reason that he is already a Cardinal. Imo

And we know, given the QB's in KK's past and his words on the subject, that Rosen can also run his system. Rosen has the added benefit of a year of hard experience in the League at the ancient age of 22.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Why? Do you really think scouting is hard? He’s been doing the same thing as a normal scout, with less travel, and his track record is very public.

If there really was a reliable science to scouting 50 percent of first rounders would not bust.

If 50% of first rounders bust then why so sure Murray won`t be another failed QB considering his relative lack of starting experience,His height,His slight frame,his playing against mostly lousy defenses,his throwing to WRs who constantsly had 5 yard cushions,etc;Basic general QB questions every rookie QB faces trying to adjust to the NFL game.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And we know, given the QB's in KK's past and his words on the subject, that Rosen can also run his system. Rosen has the added benefit of a year of hard experience in the League at the ancient age of 22.
All things being equal... Why own a mustang, if you can own a Ferrari?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson