How will the Laker homers defend this one?

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
What I've seen already:

"It was just a tough playoff foul"

"The Mavs deserved it for jacking up 3's and driving to the basket with such a large lead"
:rolleyes:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a Lakers fan and there is no defending it. Cheap shots are cheap shots.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can live with the Odom foul on Dirk as it was a foul born out of frustration and there does not appear to be any intent to injure. Also Dirk does a little flop at the end of it. I'm not saying it was alright but it was different than the Bynum foul on Barea. Bynum's use of the elbow could have seriously injured Barea.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can live with the Odom foul on Dirk as it was a foul born out of frustration and there does not appear to be any intent to injure. Also Dirk does a little flop at the end of it. I'm not saying it was alright but it was different than the Bynum foul on Barea. Bynum's use of the elbow could have seriously injured Barea.
Yes sir.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm a Lakers fan and there is no defending it. Cheap shots are cheap shots.
I am sure that Phil Jackson doesn't condone elbows to the throat to a guy under 6' in a blowout game . . . or at all.

But as their agony continued today, the thugs probably regarded the Zen Master as a lame duck.

But does Brian Shaw have the strength to control the prima donnas? Once upon a time, Paul Westhead became the Lakers head coach and showed that he did not. He couldn't even coach Magic Johnson.

Even though he eventually led the Phoenix Mercury to a WNBA title. But they were far from thugs.

A large part of Phil Jackson's success was keeping in line superstars spoiled by the media. It is an art.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This makes me sick. Bynum can expect a hefty fine and a long suspension to start 2011-2012

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Bynum and Odem=Parrom. No easy buckets. I dont understand how a UA guy can be knocking someone for a hard foul.

I HATE the Lakers and I think the foul on Barea was done with the intent to injure. Childish BS.

TJ

Reaction score
Bynum and Odem=Parrom. No easy buckets. I dont understand how a UA guy can be knocking someone for a hard foul.

:biglaugh: You're joking, right? Take your piss and rust glasses off and hide your Wildcat envy for just a second.

compare the above to this:

KP's foul was hard and intentional, but with no intent to hurt. It actually was to keep Abbot from scoring. You see this in every breakaway; if the trailer has the ability to get to the scorer and foul him to keep him from making the easy lay up, he does.

Bynum's cheap shot had every intention of inflicting serious harm. I can make the argument that Odom's flagrant was done with the same intent.

Even still. If you haven't gotten over No Easy Buckets by now, you never will.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KP's foul was hard and intentional, but with no intent to hurt. It actually was to keep Abbot from scoring. You see this in every breakaway; if the trailer has the ability to get to the scorer and foul him to keep him from making the easy lay up, he does.

A cheap shot is a cheap shot. A hard foul is one thing but was KP still trying to prevent Ty from scoring once they had both come down and he gave an extra shove trying to knock Ty into the basket support? Seriously, if it was just a hard foul with no intent to injure he would have just wrapped him up on the shot or once they landed. That shove clearly explains his intent.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
A cheap shot is a cheap shot. A hard foul is one thing but was KP still trying to prevent Ty from scoring once they had both come down and he gave an extra shove trying to knock Ty into the basket support? Seriously, if it was just a hard foul with no intent to injure he would have just wrapped him up on the shot or once they landed. That shove clearly explains his intent.

as is the hand on the forehead pulling the ASU guys head back and bending his neck.

I had never seen that clip before, but there was clearly some extra mustard on the end of that play that went further than 'no easy baskets' Not as bad as the Bynum foul, but far from a basketball play.

and no I didn't go to ASU, thats just my opinion of that clip. I like UofA just fine.

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score

I dont think the shove was intentional. If you watch, both are coming down and KP is trying to brace himself.

It's not as apparent as extending your elbow into someone's rib cage mid air. Or a shoulder shove in the middle of the court.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Bynum has a history of this nearly exact flagrant foul. He should be suspended for a season.

The guys on the radio were just talking about this. It really was one of the dirtiest plays I've ever seen. He had no other intention but to hurt Barrea. The only one I can think of that was worse was when JR Reid (I think that's who it was) squared up and elbowed AC Green in the mouth and knocked his teeth out. He should have been tossed out of the NBA for that.

Phil kinda made me sick by saying he didn't like the play but he "Understood he was frustrated."

Give me a freaking break Phil, go out with an ounce of class atleast dude. I dont understand why he couldn't just say; "yep Andrew made a mistake."

I dont know what they should do to him. I hate the Lakers too much to throw in an objective opinion, but the NBA needs to make an example that it's NOT ok to try to hurt someone no matter how "frustrated" you are.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
The guys on the radio were just talking about this. It really was one of the dirtiest plays I've ever seen. He had no other intention but to hurt Barrea. The only one I can think of that was worse was when JR Reid (I think that's who it was) squared up and elbowed AC Green in the mouth and knocked his teeth out. He should have been tossed out of the NBA for that.

Phil kinda made me sick by saying he didn't like the play but he "Understood he was frustrated."

Give me a freaking break Phil, go out with an ounce of class atleast dude. I dont understand why he couldn't just say; "yep Andrew made a mistake."

I dont know what they should do to him. I hate the Lakers too much to throw in an objective opinion, but the NBA needs to make an example that it's NOT ok to try to hurt someone no matter how "frustrated" you are.

Agreed. Phil Jackson is an egomaniac and knows that Bynum's actions reflect upon him as a coach. So his response both devalues the action and puts the blame solely on Bynum.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Horry hip checking Nash into the scorer's table in the playoffs deserves it's place as one of the dirtiest plays. Anything could have happened on that play.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a cheap shot by Jason Terry from a late season game a few weeks ago (end of March) ...

Terry should have been ejected immediately but he wasn't.

Then Barnes shoves Terry - and he IS immediately ejected.

TJ

Reaction score
Here's a cheap shot by Jason Terry from a late season game a few weeks ago (end of March) ...

Because Barnes was not involved in the play at all and did his shoving seconds after the whistle blew. Anyone, especially someone with Barnes' reputation, would get ejected immediately.

As for JT, he should have gotten a flagrant 2.

BTW....does Blake have any ghetto in him? :D

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score

Yep. Jason Terry is a punk. No argument here.

Of course, that's not what this thread is about, unless that is your defense for Bynum.

And that Terry foul does not compare even remotely equally with the Bynum foul. It's more akin to the Odom foul on Nowitzki tonight: Definitely a flagrant foul with some flopping sprinkled on top.

Regardless, "Waaah waaah waaah they do it too!" is no excuse for your idiot players.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because Barnes was not involved in the play at all. Anyone, especially someone with Barnes' reputation, would get ejected immediately.

As for JT, he should have gotten a flagrant 2.

BTW....does Blake have any ghetto in him? :D

I agree that Barnes should have been tossed too, but only AFTER Terry who should have been tossed immediately. In fact if the refs toss Terry on the spot the skirmish that led to Barnes being ejected might not have happened. Seriously - the ref closest to the play was actually more concerned about getting the ball than the aftermath of the first cheap shot.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is still one of my favorite plays of all time.. I dont care if it was a dirty play or not (it debatable :D).. I love it..

You must be registered for see images attach

ninous26

Registered
Reaction score
How do the laker homers defend it? Well they can start by leaving the Arizona Sports Fan Network if they're going to contribute anything but constant Laker homerism.. It's mind boggling as to what they are doing here other than to annoy others.

BIM is an exception in my book as he is humble and not terribly cocky.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Jason Terry is a punk. No argument here.

Of course, that's not what this thread is about, unless that is your defense for Bynum.

And that Terry foul does not compare even remotely equally with the Bynum foul. It's more akin to the Odom foul on Nowitzki tonight: Definitely a flagrant foul with some flopping sprinkled on top.

Regardless, "Waaah waaah waaah they do it too!" is no excuse for your idiot players.

I already said a cheap shot is a cheap shot and there is no defending it. :shrug:

Other posters were bringing up other cheap shots so I just brought up one involving the same two teams from just a few weeks ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson