How Will Teams Handle the Shortened Preseason?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The only significant rule change is there will be no overtime in preseason. Other than that it’s simply one less game. Historically the 4th game has featured few players expected to start. Usually that type of player is typically only playing if recovering from injury. Occasionally a new QB who needs extra reps or when a new offense is being installed will find themselves playing.

This year, however, playing time for new faces will have to be found sooner but serious minutes will be scarce. So count on fewer UDFAs to make teams. In fact that may be why the Cards brought in so few. This will also make it more difficult for up and coming players to unseat vets.

I’ve talked with a few contacts on various teams and there seems to be little agreement on strategy. If you use your vets in preseason game 3, you run the risk of a minor injury knocking out a key player for a game that counts. Besides with an extra regular season game teams are thinking, limit the wear & tear on starters. The thought seems to be get the QBs a couple of series in game one. Playing them a half in game two. Playing time in game 3 would depend on how game 2 play went. Many would not make an appearance if previous games went well.

Of course, even if that’s the popular theory things may change dramatically after camp. Teams will be feeling their way. The injury concern with a 17 game season is significant, so look for veteran preseason participation to be limited. A pattern will form but maybe not until next season.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think you would now see starter series of wk1 1-2, wk2 3-4, wk 3 5 total series before coming out. With that being said, it seems most the backups would get plenty of time to play, compete and show their worth. Doesnt seem like a huge deal to me.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sure we will hear the excuses come out blaming lack of preseason reps for any team coming out of the starting gate a little slow.

I understand the injury concerns but there has been plenty said about players not being in “ game shape” which could result in injuries.

I think we are going to see a few teams decimated by injuries before the end of the year to such a degree they will not be able to really compete. It could force the NFL to expand rosters.

I believe the 17 game schedule is a mistake. I also believe no team should be asked to travel and play a game on Thursday nights with 4 days rest which includes a travel day.

I think it’s hypocritical when top brass preach player safety. They may be “ concerned” but the driving force is money.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’m sure we will hear the excuses come out blaming lack of preseason reps for any team coming out of the starting gate a little slow.

I understand the injury concerns but there has been plenty said about players not being in “ game shape” which could result in injuries.

I think we are going to see a few teams decimated by injuries before the end of the year to such a degree they will not be able to really compete. It could force the NFL to expand rosters.

I believe the 17 game schedule is a mistake. I also believe no team should be asked to travel and play a game on Thursday nights with 4 days rest which includes a travel day.

I think it’s hypocritical when top brass preach player safety. They may be “ concerned” but the driving force is money.

All this as a result of one extra regular scheduled game?

The CFL has played 18 for decades.

The NFL game will survive just fine.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I expect most teams cut out PS game 1 and treat these as two three and four.
Might also expect to see teams joining up for TC and getting in a scrimmage before PS starts... it used to be pretty common intra team scrimmages is a great way to get reps for rookies and players on the bubble
We probably won’t see it this summer but I expect to see it become common again over the next few years

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I would have rather seen them expand the playoff bracket.

I hope not or else the NFL will begin to look like the NBA. They're still playing and will end up running into July before their season is done. You keep adding playoff teams and the Super Bowl will end up being played in March. It's bad enough now it's played in February.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I expect most teams cut out PS game 1 and treat these as two three and four.
Might also expect to see teams joining up for TC and getting in a scrimmage before PS starts... it used to be pretty common intra team scrimmages is a great way to get reps for rookies and players on the bubble
We probably won’t see it this summer but I expect to see it become common again over the next few years

I heard the Pats, IIRC are having TC scrimmages with 2 other teams this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave