How to stop the Suns

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have been watching all year, CP3 plays well in about 1 out of every 5 games. I fully expect him to look awful in the next.

When Chris Paul can hit the open three, he is still quite dangerous. It's that drive into the lane for that short jump shot that is missing.

If Paul accepts that his points are going to come from somewhere else and embraces the three, he can still be very effective. Paul runs the offense well.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Play Paul more off ball to shoot those open 3s, which Okogie missed 8 times straight in the Dallas game.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Chris Paul can hit the open three, he is still quite dangerous. It's that drive into the lane for that short jump shot that is missing.

If Paul accepts that his points are going to come from somewhere else and embraces the three, he can still be very effective. Paul runs the offense well.
We need Paul's midrange game as well. If he is drawing defenders to him down there someone from the outside is open. That's why during his slump, him not being aggressive was so frustrating to watch. If they don't think he is going to shoot, everybody else stays home on their man.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need Paul's midrange game as well. If he is drawing defenders to him down there someone from the outside is open. That's why during his slump, him not being aggressive was so frustrating to watch. If they don't think he is going to shoot, everybody else stays home on their man.

I agree. Paul is going to need to shoot whenever he is left open.

Right now, defenders are giving him a lot of open looks from 3-point range.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Paul is going to need to shoot whenever he is left open.

Right now, defenders are giving him a lot of open looks from 3-point range.
Chris is one of the smartest players to ever suit up in the NBA so it worries me that he's all of a sudden become so reluctant to shoot most nights in situations where everyone knows it's what's needed. And the nights he isn't reluctant starts me wondering if he's perhaps getting steroid shots or something that allows him to play pain free on his good nights.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris is one of the smartest players to ever suit up in the NBA so it worries me that he's all of a sudden become so reluctant to shoot most nights in situations where everyone knows it's what's needed. And the nights he isn't reluctant starts me wondering if he's perhaps getting steroid shots or something that allows him to play pain free on his good nights.
Not even sure it needs to be something like steroid shots causing ups and downs. It could simply be his age. We see this all the time with players nearing the end of their careers. We see flashes of CP3 with energy and then other times like he is moving through molasses on the court and disengaged in terms of shooting the ball.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Some nights Paul is reluctant to shoot and on those nights his shot is usually off as well.

I don't know what to think. He is too good a shooter to shoot so poorly in some games. It's like he knows beforehand when he is going to have a poor shooting game.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
CP4th waits til the end to really contribute/expel any real energy - he saves himself - like not only for the games but also our impending title run

we only had KD a few games but in that fraction we saw CP3 delegate in a different manner - he was still pass first and still knock down the trey - but the set screen/pick and roll was gone baby gone and he laid off getting to his midrange sweet spot

then he turned it all back on after KD went down - he and Book were on a mission - bringing me back to Chris Paul's mileage heading into the playoffs

I'm not worried about KD missing any gel time as he's basically been plug and play. Thing is now - CP4th is gonna have to be CP1st, CP2nd and CP3rd too. And we just have to hope he can hold up, because we still need to win these games heading down the stretch

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some nights Paul is reluctant to shoot and on those nights his shot is usually off as well.

I don't know what to think. He is too good a shooter to shoot so poorly in some games. It's like he knows beforehand when he is going to have a poor shooting game.
My guess, and it's no more than a guess, is that his hand is still a problem for him. And it gets better for awhile after he gets a shot. But he can only take that shot so often.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess, and it's no more than a guess, is that his hand is still a problem for him. And it gets better for awhile after he gets a shot. But he can only take that shot so often.

Paul is going to have to take those longer shots because he is no longer agile enough to navigate the lane and get up those closer shots. I've been hoping he is still adjusting his game to a new style of playing based on what age has taken away.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul is going to have to take those longer shots because he is no longer agile enough to navigate the lane and get up those closer shots. I've been hoping he is still adjusting his game to a new style of playing based on what age has taken away.
He is still going to have those opportunities on the pick and roll. The question is how often are they going to use it?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose