How to play the Oubre asset this summer

How do we play the Oubre situation this summer?

• Do nothing. Match if if he gets a reasonable offer.

• Manipulate the system. Leak that we will match anything and hope that keeps suitors away.

• Just say goodbye. Give up. Do not even make the QO.

• Play nice guy. Tell him we want to keep him, but will do a S&T if it is advantageous.

• Go all in. Match any offer he gets

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
i keep seeing guys wanting to jettison JJ and Warren. 1. our bench isn't THAT strong. We need bench guys. 2. Warren's contract is value in our favor, and JJ is still on a rookie contract, so he's cheap. 3. I'd rather we let other guys go to make room for PF and PG upgrades. Keep our strength at SF. Just my opinion.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
i keep seeing guys wanting to jettison JJ and Warren. 1. our bench isn't THAT strong. We need bench guys. 2. Warren's contract is value in our favor, and JJ is still on a rookie contract, so he's cheap. 3. I'd rather we let other guys go to make room for PF and PG upgrades. Keep our strength at SF. Just my opinion.
The problem with that philosophy is that we don't have anyone else with any value. We want to get a good point guard or a good power forward--that's NOT going to happen unless we give up a good asset. That's just common sense.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm in the boat that we need to trade one of them. Keeping all of our wings would mean that we just won't have enough minutes to go around and that will eventually effect team chemistry as players will get disgruntled.

Also like Chaplin said we need to trade an asset to get either a solid PG or PF. On top of that adding a solid PF to the roster would cut even further into the available minutes for the wings because right now they are getting a good chunk of their minutes at the PF position. Adding a solid PG would do the same thing to a smaller degree.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also the Suns will be unlikely to pay everyone if they keep Oubre.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Signing Oubre makes JJ and TJ expendable and I doubt we will attract a better FA than Oubre.

Yep move them, clear Cap space do whatever. Oubre help this team Chemistry a ton, Oubre Booker and Ayton. Need a PF and PG and this team is back again

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know I am really thinking the Suns are going to go after Deangelo Russell - provided he wants to come here - and I think he might because of Book and the teams improved play. To do that they would obviously need to make some cap room.

A sign and trade featuring Johnson and Warren or Jackson would probably be the best way to make it happen.

Could you imagine if everything went right and the Suns had a lineup next year of

Russell
Booker
Oubre
Zion
Ayton

That would be insane - thing is we would have a very tough time salary wise keeping all that together beyond 3 or 4 years.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You know I am really thinking the Suns are going to go after Deangelo Russell - provided he wants to come here - and I think he might because of Book and the teams improved play. To do that they would obviously need to make some cap room.

A sign and trade featuring Johnson and Warren or Jackson would probably be the best way to make it happen.

Could you imagine if everything went right and the Suns had a lineup next year of

Russell
Booker
Oubre
Zion
Ayton

That would be insane - thing is we would have a very tough time salary wise keeping all that together beyond 3 or 4 years.

Doesn't matter if he wants to come here, Brooklyn wants to keep him.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if he wants to come here, Brooklyn wants to keep him.

You're probably right. At this point he has probably played well enough they will match at any price.

Forgot for a minute he was a an RFA.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd try to use Warren in a trade for a point guard or a power forward if a trade becomes available. Unfortunately Warren probably has lost some value because of his injury. As it looks now, the Suns might have to sweeten the deal.

If the Suns pay Oubre, which I think they should, they will probably have to look for a less salaried point guard. IMO, this team will play fine with average point guard play.

That's sort of what I've been advocating: signing Oubre and not swinging for a PG, but part of that is just valuing the bird in hand. As far as TJ goes, the consolation any lost value is that this is just the first year of the new contract. It's not the last chance for other teams to be interested--or we can still look forward to three more years on the roster. Glass-half full, anyway.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's sort of what I've been advocating: signing Oubre and not swinging for a PG, but part of that is just valuing the bird in hand. As far as TJ goes, the consolation any lost value is that this is just the first year of the new contract. It's not the last chance for other teams to be interested--or we can still look forward to three more years on the roster. Glass-half full, anyway.

We certainly agree on the first part.

In regard to Warren, I have some mixed feelings. I've always liked him as a player but this injury thing has me concerned.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
We certainly agree on the first part.

In regard to Warren, I have some mixed feelings. I've always liked him as a player but this injury thing has me concerned.

I would add about Warren that having an overload at Small Forward is part of the equation.

As is the temptation to keep playing non-rebounding Small Forwards at Power Forward.

Supply and demand. Oubre is a better choice than either Warren or Jackson.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose