How should the Suns handle Ayton's future with the team?

How do you want to see Suns resolve the Ayton situation going forward?

• Sign & Trade next offseason

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Let him walk next offseason

• Make him play out his qualifying offer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now that we know an agreement couldn't be reached on an extension for Ayton, what would you prefer to happen going forward? I've listed the most likely outcomes.

I know some options may seem very similar but timing, money, and attitudes vary with each choice. I wanted to cover all bases for the most part. Ayton's attitude and the financial implications to the Suns should be considered as both are vital for the teams success and Ayton reaching his potential.

I'll elaborate on any of the options if anyone has a question, just ask. I tried to offer all of the ways this could play out but it won't surprise me if someone thinks of something that isn't listed.

You can change your vote at any point within the next month.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is an explanation as to why or how various options are different, I'll answer to the best of my ability or someone else can.

1. We agree on a long term deal. He never really enter free agency because we come to terms right away.

2. Wait for him to sign an offer sheet that we match. This is sort of the Bledsoe standoff that ensures we get the best financial deal possible. He's not pleased but ultimately accepts everything and we move forward together.

3. Sign & Trade. We seek out a destination for him that is willing to give up something for him. We can't force him to a team he doesn't want to go to, even if they have the best trade package.

4. Trade him as soon as we find an attractive package this season. We don't allow his contract status to be a distraction all year. This could be ASAP or at the deadline, of course we don't want it to be a distraction but we want value in return. Once we get a deal we like there is no need to hold out until the deadline to maximize it. If that's what it takes though, so be it. He doesn't have to agree to his destination right now.

5.. Let him find a deal and let him walk. Pretty straightforward, we don't agree financially and don't want to be on the hook financially. No sign and trade either.

6. Make him play out his qualifying offer. This would make him a stop gap, essentially. We get one more season with him but there's no future and it's highly unlikely he'd be traded since players playing on the Qualifying Offer must approve any destination they're traded to. It's included because it's a possibility if we can't reach a contract agreement because teams don't like offering restricted free agents deals for fear they're matched and they miss out others while that money is tied up.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The obvious answer is matching whatever offer sheet he gets next summer. Of course people will bring up Joe Johnson asking the Suns not to match Atlanta’s offer but that’s a different situation. Despite Joe breaking out in 05’ the Suns knew they were good enough to win a title without him (which they were but didn’t because of bad luck). The same isn’t true without DA and the Suns know it. The RFA max is less money and will save them significant luxury tax bills so that’s attractive to Sarver.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I say we get a deal done right away. Teams will try to entice him to sign a three year deal with a player option foe the 4th. I don't like that as much as signing him to a 4 year deal.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The obvious answer is matching whatever offer sheet he gets next summer. Of course people will bring up Joe Johnson asking the Suns not to match Atlanta’s offer but that’s a different situation. Despite Joe breaking out in 05’ the Suns knew they were good enough to win a title without him (which they were but didn’t because of bad luck). The same isn’t true without DA and the Suns know it. The RFA max is less money and will save them significant luxury tax bills so that’s attractive to Sarver.

People love to bring up Joe Johnson but forget about Eric Bledsoe and Brandon Knight, where we made restricted free agency work for us. Knight didn't pan out due to injuries and fit but that is another story. At least he wasn't maxed out.

Bledsoe wanted the max, we said go get it but we'll match and he sat waiting for his phone to ring for almost 2 months. We got him on a reasonable contract in the end and he never signed elsewhere. Bledsoe also had Rich Paul as his agent. He balled out next season as well. It's funny how tens of millions of dollars solve conflicts. If I recall correctly the Suns ended up paying about 75-80% of the max to him.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I say we get a deal done right away. Teams will try to entice him to sign a three year deal with a player option foe the 4th. I don't like that as much as signing him to a 4 year deal.

Since he's after max money there isn't really way for a team to do a poison pill type deal that is heavily back or front loaded but what teams do when dealing with max money players is offer a 3 year deal with a 2 year player option. If the player opts out then it allows the player to ask for 30% of the cap instead of 25% because a player must have 6+ seasons to receive that higher percentage of the salary cap.

So it can screw a matching team and make them pay more sooner. The team offering it though takes that risk because they need to lure them away so it's a gamble for them also but a more calculated risk since they need to do something to keep the other side from matching.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1 - he does well enough but realizes he’s not a max guy is my hope. And his camp doesn’t try to make things as difficult by end of the season.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that it's over with for the season? You see how he does this season. If he is anywhere close to his playoff self? You get it done right away. Waiting makes no sense unless your are pinching pennies. If we get inconsistent Ayton? OK, I can understand waiting to see what other teams offer when he becomes an RFA. This wasn't an option so I didn't vote. You need another option.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 - he does well enough but realizes he’s not a max guy is my hope. And his camp doesn’t try to make things as difficult by end of the season.
I think he can become a clear cut maximum contract player, even one that deserves the super max. But if he doesn't, I don't think it's possible that he will ever realize he hasn't already been a max level player to this point.

He's capable of outplaying any big man when he chooses and he usually shows that for a few minutes per game, in his mind that makes him worthy of the big bucks. And the sleep walking portion of his games is inconsequential.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he can become a clear cut maximum contract player, even one that deserves the super max. But if he doesn't, I don't think it's possible that he will ever realize he hasn't already been a max level player to this point.

He's capable of outplaying any big man when he chooses and he usually shows that for a few minutes per game, in his mind that makes him worthy of the big bucks. And the sleep walking portion of his games is inconsequential.

As I and others have said, in agreement with you, that he's just too inconsistent.

He does have the tools to be a max or super max, but as its been beaten to death we always question his heart/motor to impose his will on a nightly basis.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Depends on how he performs. Ideally, I'd like to see him extended ASAP, but it really all depends on how he performs. From the financial perspective, I can't imagine he would play out the qualifying offer, and the Suns can match everything in restricted agency. Fair solution seems to be to give him more than he can get in restricted free agency, but less than a full max so as to allow the Suns some flexibility should a designated max player become available.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re-signing Ayton has become an option play much like football based upon reading how Ayton performs during the season.

The Suns are going to be watching his performance up to the trade deadline and will then have to make a decision what is best for the team going forward.

If they wait until RFA, they are almost bound to keep him or do a sign-and-trade.

I guess I would say "other" if there was a check box.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’d prefer this but it entirely depends on what he shows us this season.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I didn't vote.
I didn't see "Trade him for cash considerations".

You know it scares the crap outta you too.
Wouldn't put it past Sarver just for revenge on his way out lol

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think you watch performance and then take the temperature around the trade deadline. If he’s doing great and wants to stay you make it clear you’re going to lock it up ASAP.

If he’s not doing well but still wants max money, or seems interested in testing free agency, you have cover to listen to offers.

I sort of expect the result to be a re-signing because the returns from potential trade partners and FA suitors won’t be as good as re-signing.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That doesn't make sense for the Suns or the Sixers. Why bring in Ayton to backup Embiid? They can't play together, that much she he obvious considering how bad Horford and Embiid were.

Yes, Ayton is better than Horford but it's not about that. Horford could hit 3's, pass, and space floor better than Ayton. As good as Ayton does when pulled out to the perimeter on D, he's not someone you want out there all game either.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That doesn't make sense for the Suns or the Sixers. Why bring in Ayton to backup Embiid? They can't play together, that much she he obvious considering how bad Horford and Embiid were.

Yes, Ayton is better than Horford but it's not about that. Horford could hit 3's, pass, and space floor better than Ayton. As good as Ayton does when pulled out to the perimeter on D, he's not someone you want out there all game either.
This would be true if Philly had better options. Right now, getting a player of Ayton's ability plus whatever we'd have to send for Simmons would be an incredible move for them.

DA still has potential superstar value, is there a team in their right mind that would even consider maxing out Ben today" I don't think so.

And Joel misses so much time that Ayton could probably average 25 minutes a game at the center position if not more and pick up another 10 or so playing with Embiid in certain situations.

It's not ideal but I see no way for Philadelphia to get anywhere close to an Ayton package. The only likely Simmons offer would almost have to be a Westbrook for John Wall kind of deal where they were just swapping overpaid headaches.

It makes no sense for the Suns though. If Ayton is bailing on us because of Sarver and if Simmons wouldn't cost us several other players and 35 million a year for 4 years, it would be a disappointing but understandable gamble on our part.

In the end though, Ben is the better player right now and Ayton has a few emotional warts but Simmons has giant man-eating sized warts. Even at the same price I'd rather have a committed DA than Ben Simmons.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What they going to do with Drummond then?

That’s dumb all the way around

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's too early to say how they should handle it now. I would have given him the Max but the Suns didn't. So, now they have to wait and see. If he plays himself into a max contract by being more consistent and showing up again in the playoffs then you take care of it the second you can after the season. If not? You match any offer as a restricted free agent.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How long is a bruise gonna keep him out? This seems a little crazy at this point how long he’s been sitting out games now. You want a max deal play like a max player constantly and stop sitting out for a ******* bruise on your leg! Toughen up this isn’t college anymore, still acting like a big baby!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave