OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This post completely misses the entire conversation. We aren’t discussing jimmy g. We are discussing shanahan’s record when he has an adequate QB.

Well yes and no. Jimmy G's stats even now are "adequate". He has been above a 90 QB rating the entire time in San Fran.

The defense that the 49ers had in 13-3 season is what got them to the super bowl. They had the #2 scoring defense in the league. Pretty easy to pile on wins

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’m not choosing a single season. And you know it. I’m focused on the stat that was provided that shows a 73% winning percentage for games jimmy g started. But keep trying to move those goalposts.
Right. That's also a narrowmindedness when there are many other factors to consider. Like @Chris_Sanders demonstrated, it's cherry picking to look at this stat when most of it was influenced by one season.

Again we all watched Arians go 8-8 with trash at QB and other injuries too. Shanahan CAN do better. He's just not this football Jesus that some make him out to be.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I actually remember this thread after listening to this.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don’t know if I can post a podcast link here @Chris_Sanders (sorry), but if you fast forward to 36:45. They describe why Shanahan criticism is warranted @Krangthebrain @Ouchie-Z-Clown @GatorAZ. Very interesting listen.

Things are trending the wrong direction for Shanahan but I’d still him take him over Kliff. I think having to deal with Murray is why he wanted Trey Lance.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well yes and no. Jimmy G's stats even now are "adequate". He has been above a 90 QB rating the entire time in San Fran.

The defense that the 49ers had in 13-3 season is what got them to the super bowl. They had the #2 scoring defense in the league. Pretty easy to pile on wins
Lol so somehow that doesn’t count as wins for shanahan as head coach? We should count the losses when he doesn’t have a QB but shouldn’t count the wins when he has a good D. Got it. Y’all’s joints must be aching from all the ways y’all are pretzeling to cast shanahan as a bad coach.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Right. That's also a narrowmindedness when there are many other factors to consider. Like @Chris_Sanders demonstrated, it's cherry picking to look at this stat when most of it was influenced by one season.

Again we all watched Arians go 8-8 with trash at QB and other injuries too. Shanahan CAN do better. He's just not this football Jesus that some make him out to be.
There’s the BS hyperbole when someone can’t make an argument. No one in this discussion has called him “football Jesus” or come NEAR to any such high praise. He’s a good coach. You don’t think so. And arians can be a better coach and shanahan can still be a good coach. I know, strains credulity with you for some reason.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Also, I never said that’s the only factor - but keep putting words in my mouth to try to strengthen your argument, krang. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol so somehow that doesn’t count as wins for shanahan as head coach? We should count the losses when he doesn’t have a QB but shouldn’t count the wins when he has a good D. Got it. Y’all’s joints must be aching from all the ways y’all are pretzeling to cast shanahan as a bad coach.

Not saying that at all. He is a great coach. The fact that he can have an average QB and overcome so many injuries and stay relevant shows why he is easily the best coach in the division

But I still feel they are trending down based on the roster and injuries again. Lynch SUCKS as a GM. I would take Keim over him all day.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Talk about putting words in mouth!

Don't cast the first stone, because you are clearly guilty of what you claim I am. Read through my comments, I clearly state he is a good coach, but I still say he is overrated which isn't mutually exclusive.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not saying that at all. He is a great coach. The fact that he can have an average QB and overcome so many injuries and stay relevant shows why he is easily the best coach in the division

But I still feel they are trending down based on the roster and injuries again. Lynch SUCKS as a GM. I would take Keim over him all day.
That’s reasonable. Though I think McVay and even Pete are better head coaches. And I’m willing to consider kliff as better if this season stays on track.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Talk about putting words in mouth!

Don't cast the first stone, because you are clearly guilty of what you claim I am. Read through my comments, I clearly state he is a good coach, but I still say he is overrated which isn't mutually exclusive.
Overrated by whom exactly?

Lol I think this is another area where we likely actually agree about his coaching acumen but we come at it from different perspectives. I would’ve sworn from your posts that you thought he was a bad coach.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s the BS hyperbole when someone can’t make an argument. No one in this discussion has called him “football Jesus” or come NEAR to any such high praise. He’s a good coach. You don’t think so. And arians can be a better coach and shanahan can still be a good coach. I know, strains credulity with you for some reason.
I don’t know about that... I’ve read some pretty high praise of Shanahan with comments like “the greatest offensive mind in football” I’ve heard him called a QB genius etc.... He gets some really really high praise around these parts. And honestly iirc you’re one of them over the last couple years.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t know about that... I’ve read some pretty high praise of Shanahan with comments like “the greatest offensive mind in football” I’ve heard him called a QB genius etc.... He gets some really really high praise around these parts. And honestly iirc you’re one of them over the last couple years.
I have never said either of those things or anything remotely close to them. I’ve argued he’s a good coach. So no, you do not remember correctly. If you want to reply to this post you had better have specific quoted posts from me showing anything remotely close to those.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never said either of those things or anything remotely close to them. I’ve argued he’s a good coach. So no, you do not remember correctly. If you want to reply to this post you had better have specific quoted posts from me showing anything remotely close to those.
Nahhh I don’t need to go find those to much time and to tedious. It’s def been said around here. If it wasn’t by you then maybe my memory is wrong. You def think he’s a really good coach though just based off what you’ve said in here. But some damn high praise of Shanahan has been heaped around here by multiple posters over the last few years. I’m in the camp that his record says exactly what he is. We can all just agree to disagree then much easier that way lol...

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
has almost 40,000 posts.... thinks we hang onto every word. Ouchie I can't even remember my own takes dude

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Nahhh I don’t need to go find those to much time and to tedious. It’s def been said around here. If it wasn’t by you then maybe my memory is wrong. You def think he’s a really good coach though just based off what you’ve said in here. But some damn high praise of Shanahan has been heaped around here by multiple posters over the last few years. I’m in the camp that his record says exactly what he is. We can all just agree to disagree then much easier that way lol...
We definitely disagree. While overall record is a datapoint, taken as the sole, or even primary, indicator as to his coaching acumen is like the lowest form of analysis possible. Again, I could see that if you’re doing online rankings or if you’re an unknowledgeable football fan. But if you’re someone seeking a deeper understanding of an individuals abilities (like if you were hiring a coach) you’d take a LOT more into consideration than “you are what your record is.” And I’ve always had a healthy respect for shanahan but I’m far from thinking he’s an upper echelon NFL coach. I rank third in our division and he’s losing ground on kliff.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
has almost 40,000 posts.... thinks we hang onto every word. Ouchie I can't even remember my own takes dude
If you claim I said something, as Shane did, you are literally saying you remember my post. I own what I’ve said in the past and mea culpa’ed plenty on this board over time. So if you’re going to claim I said something you better be able to prove it.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you claim I said something, as Shane did, you are literally saying you remember my post. I own what I’ve said in the past and mea culpa’ed plenty on this board over time. So if you’re going to claim I said something you better be able to prove it.
alright, fair.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson