How much is Calais Campbell worth vs. Mario Williams?

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was just wondering how much people think CC is worth vs. Mario Williams. With Mario's huge contract, I think CC would have fetched huge money as well if he had hit the open market. I by no means think that the Cards will get a contract extention worked out with him especially if we get lucky enough to get PM. I hardly doubt that we do if we don't get PM.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Campbell is worth 60% of Mario Williams' contract. They play completely different positions.

Campbell is worth a 15% upgrade on Darnell Dockett's two-year-old contract.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Pass rushers like Mario Williams don't come around very often. There are only a hand-full in the entire league at any given time. Calais Campbell is a very good stout defensive end in the 3-4 and borderline Pro Bowler. 60 % is dead on

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Campbell is worth 60% of Mario Williams' contract. They play completely different positions.

Campbell is worth a 15% upgrade on Darnell Dockett's two-year-old contract.

I like this.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Campbell is easily worth 75-85% of Williams deal and will not sign for less. They don't play completely different positions either; when we are in 4-3 Campbell is an often an end just like Williams. is one of the most promising young defenders in the league and the best 3-4DE by quite a distance IMO.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I would say Campbell is worth 70-75% of Williams. He has some versatility Williams doesn't have. The biggest difference is Williams is more of a crucial playmaker than Campbell. Williams probably makes more big game turning plays than Campbell. That is the biggest difference.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is it a good idea to tie up so much money in the defensive line when we're running a 3-4?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
he had 21 sack in career and just 4 fumble forced and u guys think is worth 60% of williams contract..who is gonna pay this to him.nobody.. 5 years 40 million

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Great question.

Funny that they are both "DE" but play very different positions.

The percentages and what not on this thread are great, and the opinions by those numbers are logical and "good stuff boys, good stuff"

Comparing the two WITHOUT money (yes, I understand that was the original question) they are both elite athletes for their size.

Mario Williams is a freak of nature. Charlie Casserly knew what he was doing when he drafted him 1st overall. 300lbs men who are as athletic as any LB'er, TE, or even some RB's are very very rare.

That takes us to Calais Campbell. I would say to Williams atheleticism, speed, and quickness, Campbell isn't at Williams level. But, when you talk about intensity, and POWER Campbell is better than Williams. And the SCARIEST thing about Calais Campbell, is I agree with Darnell Dockett in Campbell could easily put another 10lbs on without effecting his speed. Campbell is just a freak, and the more his mind catches up with his body, the closer he will be to being, IMO, the best 3-4 DE in the league. Gotta keep Campbell in AZ long term.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I would say Campbell is worth 70-75% of Williams. He has some versatility Williams doesn't have. The biggest difference is Williams is more of a crucial playmaker than Campbell. Williams probably makes more big game turning plays than Campbell. That is the biggest difference.

One area where Campbell makes game turning plays that other DE's don't is on FGs. Calais ability to block FGs has to have an effect on kickers especially on the longer tries where the trajectory has to be lower to get the distance. Opponents also probably have to pay more attention to CC which frees up other rushers.

Its a special weapon most teams don't have.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I was just wondering how much people think CC is worth vs. Mario Williams. With Mario's huge contract, I think CC would have fetched huge money as well if he had hit the open market. I by no means think that the Cards will get a contract extention worked out with him especially if we get lucky enough to get PM. I hardly doubt that we do if we don't get PM.

That has also been on my mind. Campbell is sure worthy of a 5 year contract at a good price. The longer we wait the more expensive he becomes. Right now Campbell can consider he might get hurt and a 5 year contract looks good. The closer the end of the season comes and he is healthy the more he will likely to see what he is worth on the open market. We need to sign guys like Campbell early and to 5 year contracts. He is a premier player and if he were in the draft knowing what we know now he would be a top three pick. Sign him soon or sooner. We do all this talk about Manning but our future lies with guys like Campbell. He is what we call a core player.