Votes: 7 14.0%

Votes: 2 4.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Curious about what you all think on this. I think we'd have 2-3 more wins with a QB that could see the middle of the field and all the routes being run. Also a QB that has composure, can go under center to give us play-action possibilities, and knows the playbook by heart would go a long way.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious about what you all think on this. I think we'd have 2-3 more wins with a QB that could see the middle of the field and all the routes being run. Also a QB that has composure, can go under center to give us play-action possibilities, and knows the playbook by heart would go a long way.
Maybe he gets us one game Kyler didn’t, but He doesn’t get us that Raiders game.

Without Hop, At best we’re probably even with McCoy.

OP
OP
Syracusecards

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
FYI - The poll isn’t how many MORE wins, it’s how many wins TOTAL.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
2 at most. I have doubts he would have lasted 2 games without serious injury. Notwithstanding his wins last year Colt McCoy has been a career backup for a reason. He’s just not that good.
I doubt this mainly because Colt's wins last year were without Hopkins and the offense looked better than it ever has. We've learned the hard way how dependent Kyler is on Hopkins and how awful the whole offense looks. Now Colt has his obvious flaws, mainly being made of glass, but his performance is truly shocking taken in context.

Last year against the Seahawks Colt went 35-44 for 328 yards and a 112.9 Passer Rating and completion percentage 79.6%

Against the eventual NFC runner ups he went 22-26 for 249 yards and a 119.4 Passer Rating, completion percentage 84.6%

Again both games Colt did not have Hopkins. He ran successful screens, moved defenses with his eyes and was able to dink and dunk his away across the field against 2 high safety looks. A couple times each game he hit a deep bomb. The offensive scheme looked awesome. Imagine if Colt had Hopkins to draw attention as well?

Now this year with Kyler, we have looked awful. Last year with Kyler without Hopkins we looked almost as bad as this year.

Kyler so far this year has not had A SINGLE GAME as good as either Colt's 49ers or Seahawks wins, even with Hopkins on the field. Comparing only the games without Hopkins, it's not even close. Passer rating, QBR and completion percentages are dramatically worse than Colt in all of them.

His best game so far this year is vs. the Saints (with Hopkins) with a completion rate of 69%, Passer rating of 100.4 and QBR of 61.9

In 2021, in the games where Hopkins did not play, Kyler's performances were worse than Colt again. With the Dallas game being closest to matching it. 68.4% completion rate and 100 Passer rating.

In my opinion based off of brief stat overview, the only game without Hopkins in Kyler's career where he put up a better performance is the 2019 Falcons. He put up 340 yards, 73% completion and 128.3 Passer rating.

Now it's unlikely Colt would sustain his high level of play for a whole season (Kyler has never had a game as bad as Colt's panthers game) but it is shocking to see a backup quarterback so thoroughly outperform the franchise starter in wins against division opponents. There is a legitimate argument that Colt could be better than Kyler and there shouldn't be considering how much Kyler makes. I'll make one right now: Who knows, maybe Colt could be (or could have been) the next Geno Smith! Maybe his career was wasted dealing with injuries, horrid Browns teams and even worse Redskins teams.

Again, when he doesnt have Hopkins, we haven't seen Kyler run the offense nearly as well as Colt managed to without Hopkins last year. Even in the games last year with Hopkins where Kyler performed better it never looked as consistent or methodical; it's always looked like Kyler is just out there winging it.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Considering being able to complete a pass over 15 yards on a regular basis is crucial to a functioning offense my feeling is at least as many and probably more.

While there are some things Kyler can do that McCoy can't it's more important to be able to complete passes those kinds of passes. Without them your offense simply can't work.

A Ferrari without an engine with get beat by an Accord with one 100% of the time.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll pop? Some of the stuff on here is asinine

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I said 5 because a couple of games we really should have won and Colt McCoy would not have screwed up near as bad as Kyler has this year.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I said 8 because we don't waste time outs when Colt runs the offense....

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say we're 5-3 with Colt. Faster starts would mean we're not playing behind each week and the game scenarios are not exactly the same as when Kyler has been in there. You cannot look at the games as playing out the same when making such a dramatic change at the QB position.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Would love to see Colt vs. the Rams if we lose tomorrow vs. the seahawks. I think he is the answer to all of our problems on offense.

Also, pretty sure McCoy and Kingsbury can lead the Cardinals to an NFL championship. Let's make it happen.

It was once considered rude to not share gum with the rest of the class if you brought it in.

In a similar vein, it is a crime against humanity if you do not share with us what you are smoking. That must be S tier.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was once considered rude to not share gum with the rest of the class if you brought it in.

In a similar vein, it is a crime against humanity if you do not share with us what you are smoking. That must be S tier.

Sarcasm clearly…. He’s near the biggest Murray apologist on the whole board. I’m as skeptical as they come with Murray and I still know he’s better option then Colt. MUCH BETTER! Long term.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sarcasm clearly…. He’s near the biggest Murray apologist on the whole board. I’m as skeptical as they come with Murray and I still know he’s better option then Colt. MUCH BETTER! Long term.

Ha, hard to keep track of everyone's stances. You got people seriously thinking we'd have a winning record with Colt, so I guess his line of thinking isn't too crazy for some.

Murray is by far the better option for sure. Colt is there in a pinch.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

lol.. awesome post Zalixar! What is the origin of your name btw?

I was joking of course because it's so exhausting hearing some people say that (valued team-member but also journeyman QB) McCoy a better answer at QB1 than Murray, that part of me wishes we would start him for eight games behind this patch-work o-line to see what would really happen.

If he succeeds, great. If he flames out, well, I guess that would start the calls to trade for Goff or G. Smith, or Pickett (you know, anyone but Murray), but at least the more reasonable posters might appreciate K1 a little more. What do you think?

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I was joking of course because it's so exhausting hearing some people say that (valued team-member but also journeyman QB) McCoy a better answer at QB1 than Murray, that part of me wishes we would start him for eight games behind this patch-work o-line to see what would really happen.

If he succeeds, great. If he flames out, well, I guess that would start the calls to trade for Goff or G. Smith, or Pickett (you know, anyone but Murray), but at least the more reasonable posters might appreciate K1 a little more. What do you think?

Ah yeah I was made aware it was just a joke, good one, ha.

Zalixar is an old gamer name from an MMORPG.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

How many people had Geno Smith down as being better than Russell Wilson this year? Was there even one?

Its not what you CAN do. It's what you are doing.

And right now Kyler is playing at sub Colt McCoy level.