How many potentially great QB's just were never put in the right position?

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we trade Rosen then it will be him. It would be unprecedented to move on from a top 10 QB after one year. Plus he’s only 21. Still got 3 years before he should be compared to Mayfield

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Some of the old qb's mentioned... that was a little bit my point... It is becoming more and more about the QB... 15 years ago + it seemed more about the team. Maybe all the other positions are more even than they once were, and then you have the rule changes.. It just seems to be that the qb is more important than ever.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Good article and replies one name no one has mentioned yet though again drafted to a bad team and situation is Archie Manning I was a little young to remember him but he was every bit as good as his sons according to some

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can’t think of any rookie QB in history who would have had success under McCoy, Wilks, Leftwich, behind that offensive line and then losing Christian Kirk

Very true. And Rosen didn't get a fair shake in that regard. But that shouldn't be the reason that you possibly pass on a potential star QB at #1. If the Cardinals determine that Murray is too gifted to pass on, then Rosen will have an opportunity elsewhere. And that's how the real world works. For me, even with the crap around him, Josh didn't show me enough to pass on Murray. Time will tell, and I hope the Cardinals make the right decision.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good article and replies one name no one has mentioned yet though again drafted to a bad team and situation is Archie Manning I was a little young to remember him but he was every bit as good as his sons according to some

I watched Archie Manning both in college & the pro's. Yes, I really do believe he was every bit as good as his sons. That was a different NFL. The NFL then had dynasties, because the rich were truly the rich, and the poor were truly the poor. It was very difficult for a lousy team to get better then. There was no free agency then like there is now. He was stuck in New Orleans with a horrible franchise in a flawed NFL. With all the rule changes, Archie would flourish in today's NFL. I'm not kidding, when I say he could probably still beat his sons in a race. If he were drafted by the Cowboys instead of the Saints, I'm pretty sure he'd be in the HOF.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Very true. And Rosen didn't get a fair shake in that regard. But that shouldn't be the reason that you possibly pass on a potential star QB at #1. If the Cardinals determine that Murray is too gifted to pass on, then Rosen will have an opportunity elsewhere. And that's how the real world works. For me, even with the crap around him, Josh didn't show me enough to pass on Murray. Time will tell, and I hope the Cardinals make the right decision.

No, you probably don't pass on Andrew Luck because you want to make sure that Curtis Painter gets a fair shake, but if we're talking about Kyler Murray, are we sure we're talking about a potential star QB? His overrall rankings by various public source:

The Huddle Report: 8th (Rosen was 8th last year, BTW)
Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com: 11th
Danny Kelly, The Ringer: 10th
CBSSports.com: 7th
Pro-Football-Focus: 1st

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The ONLY reason we are talking about Murray is because KK is the coach.

Any team that is interested in Murray would need to modify their offense to fit him (like Lamar Jackson vs Joe Flacco in Baltimore).

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your namesake Timm Rosenbach had a somewhat murky tenure with the Cardinals. I know there where the injuries but also if I remember correctly it was not handled well... at least according to him
Rosenbach had a ton of potential and did alright when he was given the starting job. He was Jake Plummer before there was a Jake Plummer. Then he blew out his knee and that took his heart. It wasn't that he wasn't handled correctly, the injury took his heart.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The ONLY reason we are talking about Murray is because KK is the coach.

Any team that is interested in Murray would need to modify their offense to fit him (like Lamar Jackson vs Joe Flacco in Baltimore).
where are the similareties between lamar jackson and murray?

Reaction score

I watched Archie Manning both in college & the pro's. Yes, I really do believe he was every bit as good as his sons. That was a different NFL. The NFL then had dynasties, because the rich were truly the rich, and the poor were truly the poor. It was very difficult for a lousy team to get better then. There was no free agency then like there is now. He was stuck in New Orleans with a horrible franchise in a flawed NFL. With all the rule changes, Archie would flourish in today's NFL. I'm not kidding, when I say he could probably still beat his sons in a race. If he were drafted by the Cowboys instead of the Saints, I'm pretty sure he'd be in the HOF.
As I recall during his days at Ole Miss, Archie Manning was a dual threat QB. I don't recall speed-wise, but he had a knack for running the ball; to a far greater degree than either of his sons ever have shown.

I agree, Archie Manning would have had a HOF career with a better club than the 'Aints!

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Heisman Trophy winners who are both dynamic with their legs?

murray can play in the pocket, is a modern version of a dual treat qb, he is comfortable in the pocket and a great runner
murray is a smooth thrower lamar is not

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Yes, I believe Archie would excel in today's game. The game has changed since then.. it was more balanced. I kind of wish it was still like that. I want the other players to matter more than they do...

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, you probably don't pass on Andrew Luck because you want to make sure that Curtis Painter gets a fair shake, but if we're talking about Kyler Murray, are we sure we're talking about a potential star QB? His overrall rankings by various public source:

The Huddle Report: 8th (Rosen was 8th last year, BTW)
Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com: 11th
Danny Kelly, The Ringer: 10th
CBSSports.com: 7th
Pro-Football-Focus: 1st

I believe the rankings variance is due to people baking the obvious risk of a 5'10 guy drafted to play baseball into their projections.

So if you are PFF and just ignore all that then he is #1. If you are willing to acknowledge risk then you move him down.

And none of it matters until the games are played

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
where are the similareties between lamar jackson and murray?
They don't really exist beyond the color of their skin and that they are both extremely mobile. Murray is a FAR SUPERIOR prospect. Significantly more intelligent and a tremendously better and more refined passer in every aspect of throwing the ball.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s true that Leinart was never put in the right position. He should’ve been a low end actor or stuck with baseball. He never had the fortitude or body for quarterback in football.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
It’s the running game stupid! How did Miami go undefeated? Well as a remember it Morral went through the playoffs while grieve was hurt! Just as Johnny Unitas was the veteran back up to morral for the Baltimore colts years earlier!

No Franco and Rocky no rings for Bradshaw - too old for you - well look at the patriots losses in Super Bowls! Peyton Manning’s losses and wins - Eli’s -

the stupidest Super Bowl of my life - which is all time - was the cardinals only running edge 10 times after he carried us through the playoffs by allowing play action to be effective. Immediately after we benched him for tht and had an epic late season collapse with no effective run game.

Then same with beanie in 09 - 10 carries against the saints - killed Kurt - and almost Leinart ! But it’s all Leinart fault right? after Beanies effectiveness gave us the huge early lead against the packers in the gray beard playoff game the week before.

You don’t see it on stupid sports center - the running backs highlighted as the engine of an offense - will see it in fantasy football! but it is and always will be - as they go the team goes - or not! Evidenced by failure of highly skilled one quarter backs - and success of lesser skilled one quarter backs - consistently and constantly in history and into the future!

Elite passing depends upon the run game - if not it’s a fluke and will not last - see GSOT or whomever - run game was effective - moving defensive players from point A to point B against their will is the driving force! Can’t beat out of me - although some try
Call me what you will

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave