How good is Booker?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we see Booker get on other players, he may be trying to teach.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sometimes its how you talk to people and not really about the what you're talking to people about. Early this season he was snapping and had a negative reaction. Lately it seems he's taking a more positive approach to confrontation.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Good read.
I heard this on Burns & Gambo yesterday. Booker's going to have to be one hell of a salesman to lure stars to PHX with this management. But if he is serious about wanting to win he needs to start building relationships with star players and the only way to do that is to become a great player they want to play with. He and Ayton need to become that Shaq & Kobe tandem Ayton was hyping them up to become and that will lure guys in.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I heard this on Burns & Gambo yesterday. Booker's going to have to be one hell of a salesman to lure stars to PHX with this management. But if he is serious about wanting to win he needs to start building relationships with star players and the only way to do that is to become a great player they want to play with. He and Ayton need to become that Shaq & Kobe tandem Ayton was hyping them up to become and that will lure guys in.

James Jones is VERY well liked by players around the league. McD, not so much. I think the change that Sarver made in the GM position was not so much about the past (although there is that too) but about future free agency. McD did not have a good track record in free agency and that is our primary method of improvement for the next step. All that to say that while Devin's job in drawing free agents is daunting, it is probably going to be easier now with James Jones as the GM.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
James Jones is VERY well liked by players around the league. McD, not so much. I think the change that Sarver made in the GM position was not so much about the past (although there is that too) but about future free agency. McD did not have a good track record in free agency and that is our primary method of improvement for the next step. All that to say that while Devin's job in drawing free agents is daunting, it is probably going to be easier now with James Jones as the GM.
Jones may be respected by players but everyone knows he is Sarver's puppet and that Sarver is making all the personnel decisions. The only way players overlook that is if Booker and Ayton become superstars.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wanted to post this somewhere because I feel it needs to be mentioned. Yesterday during all of the uproar over Sarver moving the team, Booker sent out a tweet simply stating that he loves Phoenix. He clarified the reasoning behind that today to Gina Mizell. He stated "There’s a lot going around the program right now. I feel like the city needed to hear that. I’m part of this too...We still have unconditional love for the fans that stayed behind us each and every night"

That's encouraging, IMO. I know he doesn't have a say as far as if Sarver wants to move the team but that's beside the point, I think. Booker does not seem like the sort of player to cut and run like a lot of people have suggested he was on the verge of doing because we still suck. He came out a couple weeks ago and talked about how he wanted to build a super team in Phoenix and now there's this comment. I hope the idea that Booker will demand a trade out of here is something we can put to rest for the rest of this season, at least, since his extension hasn't even kicked in yet. Could he be happier? No doubt, but he's committed to the Suns.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice to see Melton pick up the ball handling duties and seems competent enough to do so on a nightly basis. His defense really helps out too.

Booker seemed at ease in the first half and didn’t force anything. Near the end Booker wanted the ball to finish things out, I like the fact that we finally have a guy who wants that responsibility and is confident enough in himself to own it.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Nice to see Melton pick up the ball handling duties and seems competent enough to do so on a nightly basis. His defense really helps out too.

Booker seemed at ease in the first half and didn’t force anything. Near the end Booker wanted the ball to finish things out, I like the fact that we finally have a guy who wants that responsibility and is confident enough in himself to own it.

Oh yeah, he ALWAYS thinks the next shot is going in. I don't think I've ever seen him pass on a shot due to a lack of confidence.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oh yeah, he ALWAYS thinks the next shot is going in. I don't think I've ever seen him pass on a shot due to a lack of confidence.

We need at least one, likely two, other players who are willing and able to handle that responsibility (as opponents will key on Booker down the stretch of games) in order to turn the corner. I believe Ayton can be one of those, with the right coaching. I have no idea who else, though. Warren just doesn't have that mentality. I don't see Bridges having it either (and in my opinion, he really projects to fill much the same role that Bruce Bowen did with the Spurs or that the good version of Trevor Ariza did with the Lakers and Rockets). I am not sure Josh Jackson will ever have the offensive capacity or reliability to be a go-to scorer down the stretch, either. Any ideas?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
We need at least one, likely two, other players who are willing and able to handle that responsibility (as opponents will key on Booker down the stretch of games) in order to turn the corner. I believe Ayton can be one of those, with the right coaching. I have no idea who else, though. Warren just doesn't have that mentality. I don't see Bridges having it either (and in my opinion, he really projects to fill much the same role that Bruce Bowen did with the Spurs or that the good version of Trevor Ariza did with the Lakers and Rockets). I am not sure Josh Jackson will ever have the offensive capacity or reliability to be a go-to scorer down the stretch, either. Any ideas?

I agree. Ayton needs to be that guy. I saw Shaq, Hakeem, Wilt, Jabaar, etc do this night after night. The last 6 minutes of a game they'd get fed on the block and just humiliate their opponents.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evan Sidery writes some good things about Booker that makes one want to go wow.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And this as well.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Raw numbers are good, but efficiency numbers (especially true shooting %, which is actually down, turnovers, which are up, and PER, which isn't as up as the raw numbers) are not as encouraging. That will need to change in order for our team to be able to win more consistently with Booker as our go-to player.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Raw numbers are good, but efficiency numbers (especially true shooting %, which is actually down, turnovers, which are up, and PER, which isn't as up as the raw numbers) are not as encouraging. That will need to change in order for our team to be able to win more consistently with Booker as our go-to player.

His FG% is up to .448 which is a career high and his eFG% is a career high at .509

His true shooting is SLIGHTLY down at .558 but that is just because he is putting up threes off the dribble instead of spotting up. He is at his lowest point ever on assisted 3 pointers.

Ultimately his OBPM is up to 3.4 which his DBPM has stayed the same. That is a net Box Plus Minus 0.9. Just two years ago he was -2.3.

All of this is because he has gotten more efficient not less.